Prepping the starter for installation

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

farmallmta

Prepping the starter for installation

Post by farmallmta »

That top bolt of the FE starter is a bit of a pain to get started. Here's what I do to make it easier.

1) Assemble a 1/2" socket on a 3/8" drive 5" long extension.
2) Put the top bolt into the hole.
3) Fit the socket and extension on the bolt and let it rest on top of the starter
4) lay a 3" long piece of duct tape 1" wide--sticky side up!-- across the top of the extension right behind the socket
FE Starter 1st Tape.jpg
5) Lay a second piece of duct tape 6" long and 1" wide--sticky side down this time!-- over the first piece of tape and press the sticky ends down over the starter body. Now you've made a retaining strap to keep the bolt and extension in place while you lift and fit the starter into the bellhousing plate
FE Starter 2nd Tape.jpg
6) Add a short extension to the 5" extension and lift the starter to the hole. You can see the bolt easily to get it started and thread into the bellhousing. The setup keeps the bolt and socket/extensions in place yet allows easy turning with your fingers. After finger-tightening release the tape and proceed with the other 2 starter bolts. Don't forget to adequately tighten all three bolts. The tape comes off easily.
FE Starter Prepped.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Prepping the starter for installation

Post by tnlprt »

Heck all i do

is take every 3/8 extension I have using the shorter ones closer to the bolt and stick them all together

It allows about 2 inches of droop if needed

Run them down along side the block and have the ratchet up by the radiator

Takes no time to remove or install the bolts

I should add I have long tube headers
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks farmallmta! I don't have an FE but I think I can use that philosophy in a number of other applications. :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Ron_Hall

Post by Ron_Hall »

Great idea!
years ago when I had the long tube headers on I bought one of these and it work very good!

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 F100 SWB 390 FE - bored.030 over
Edelbrock Performer - Holley 600 CFI
Stock heads with some porting - Sanderson FF427 Headers
C6 with stock converter - 3.25 rear end gears
One owner...