Header fitment

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

70camperspecial

Header fitment

Post by 70camperspecial »

Hi everyone,
I'm stuck, I am looking for a set of headers for my 1970 F250 camper special, now i have seen some posts about the Sandersons ff-427 shorty headers but i am hoping that someone can point me in the direction of some place that i can get some long tube headers that will easily fit around the ps pump and the twin i beam (thats what most people are saying is a problem) its been over 10 years since i have been able to work on this truck and it is in dire need of some help. I am also looking to increase power and torque but do it with a budget, not saying im not willing to pay for the power, but at this point its more important that i get it running at this point and i dont really want to have to pull the exhaust to put the headers on after i put the motor in. the rest of the exhaust when i left was in good shape although i will probably be replacing the glasspacks with something else, not sure yet. any help would be appreciated, i believe it has the 360 in it right now but i am willing to put the 390 in it as well (if i can find the block i had before i left) thanks in advance.
DuckRyder

Re: Header fitment

Post by DuckRyder »

Consensus seems to be that the “won’t fit Camper Special” foot note is due to the anti sway bar between the front radius arms. This anti sway bar is actually kinda rare. Have a look and see if yours has it. Toward the rear of the radius arms do you have a anti sway bar bolted between the arms?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
70camperspecial

thanks duckryder

I will have to try and look but Im about 90% sure I do. now granted its been over 10 years since ive even seen the front grill of this truck so I could be mistaken. in the case that I have it would I be stuck with the shorty style headers, I still don't understand how that would make the shorty headers not fit but I have seen on a few sites that they don't fit. thanks!
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

Hey 70camper, is there a reason you don't want to use the FF427 Sanderson shortys? I just ordered a set for my 69 F100 390
1969 F100, 390, 3 Speed, 2WD
70camperspecial

to be honest with you im just not a big fan of shorties and I am wondering if that is going to give me enough of an increase in torque for pulling 30 foot 5th wheel, I know I am going to need to do some other modifications but there is no point in doing those modifications until I know I can get the power out of the motor. I already contemplated doing a cummins swap but I don't have that kind of money at the moment and I am wanting to keep this truck looking stock (except the split pea green). im not fully against the shorty headers but I am also looking for a good sound which I know is going to involve mufflers as well but those are easy the hard part is just finding a set of headers. I guess my first clue that this truck was going to be the death of me should have been when It was given to me :lol:
70camperspecial

has anyone tried the Patriot h8406 headers on this style of truck? ive heard rumors that they fit but 238 bucks is a lot of money to put on a rumor.
Dogma270

Post by Dogma270 »

I bought the Patriot headers for my 70 CS. They would not fit. I ended up getting the Sanderson shorty. Even with those, you really need to upgrade to a mini starter unless you want to take your headers off to replace it in the future. One good thing about the Sanderson is they don't have g
Gaskets to blow out and leak in 6 months.
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

Here are my FF427's, this is on a 69' 390 F100. They do not block in the starter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 F100, 390, 3 Speed, 2WD