Anyone Tried EFI?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Clunker

Anyone Tried EFI?

Post by Clunker »

I'm giving up on my Holley 600. Since I didn't really know much about carburetors when I bought it, I ended up with the model that does not have any way to view the float level or to adjust it externally. I bought it rebuilt on ebay, and it has never worked properly. With less than 1000 miles on it and everything supposedly set at the factory, it should be working flawlessly. Anyway, I'm done with this one, but I might consider getting another Holley 600 NEW (not rebuilt).

However, I just spotted a Sniper self-tuning EFI on Holley's website for $1,000. Looks like it just bolts right on in place of the 4160 model. Has anyone heard about these or ever tried one on an FE engine? I might seriously consider spending the dough just so I never have to touch a carburetor again.
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Anyone Tried EFI?

Post by Madman »

I went with the Edelbrock Estreet EFI.....pretty simple yet expensive, but I have not driven it yet, still restoring it
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

The E-Street is more money than I'm willing to spend, but I'm anxious to hear how you like it when your project is completed. Please keep us informed.

I read an article in Hotrod magazine where they tested the Holley Sniper on a brand new Dodge 360 stroker. They dyno'd it at the same time as a perfectly tuned Holley 750 on the same engine and found performance to be virtually identical.
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.
8ton

Post by 8ton »

Did you get one of the Holley factory refurbished carbs, or from an independent rebuilder?

I have looked briefly at the Sniper and other EFI carb replacers, I would like to try one on my 360 and see if I could pick up a couple more MPGs. The systems are starting to get close to affordable.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

I too have an E-street (Version 1). Coupled with the TKO, I can squeeze out 18 MPG from an FE!

Starts with a turn of the key... the only gauge "missing" is an oil pressure gauge. Has two settings for electric fans.. a low temp and a high temp... great when using a two-speed Lincoln Mark VIII fan.
That $1,000 Sniper doesn't come with a fuel system.. factor at least another $500 into its cost... a few bucks more and yer in E-Street territory.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You might also have a look at Atomic (MSD).
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

8ton wrote:Did you get one of the Holley factory refurbished carbs, or from an independent rebuilder?
Unfortunately, I bought it from an independent rebuilder. Then later discovered that a brand new Holley 600 was only $100 more.
HIO Silver wrote:That $1,000 Sniper doesn't come with a fuel system.. factor at least another $500 into its cost... a few bucks more and yer in E-Street territory.
I was under the impression that the Sniper only needs to have an electronic fuel pump added. It already has a built-in pressure regulator. 18 MPG from an FE is outstanding. I would be ecstatic if I could even get 15.

I'll take a look at the Atomic.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The Sniper can be had with fuel system for about 1250 which is similar to Atomic with fuel system.

The Sniper is fairly new I believe, but appears similar in concept to Atomic.
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

DuckRyder wrote:The Sniper can be had with fuel system for about 1250 which is similar to Atomic with fuel system.

The Sniper is fairly new I believe, but appears similar in concept to Atomic.
The reviews I've found for the Atomic aren't good, either. For similar price, I'd go with the Sniper for the piece of mind knowing it's built by a company I know and trust (a little more, anyways).

- Joe
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I don’t know that I’ve seen many actual reviews of the MSD or Sniper.

I believe that MSD is now under the Holley umbrella. I have had pretty good luck with their products in general.

From reviewing the material on the Atomic and Sniper websites it appears the Sniper is not set up for a returnless system, though they appear to make it pretty easy to set up a return.

I think the MSD/Atomic is not as ugly.

Next step up is Terminator but it is a big step up in $$$
Robert

8ton

Post by 8ton »

Whether it is any good or not, there is also "fiTech" systems. They are around $800. I think they need a return line and electric fuel pump OR the $400"fuel command center"
8ton

Post by 8ton »

Sorry! Double post.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

There is also FAST EZ-EFI.

I have been thinking of Fuel injection the F100 for a while...

There are actually quite a few videos on youtube for the Holley, MSD, Edelbrock and FAST systems.

I’ve concentrated most of my research on Holley and MSD. Here is sort of a hard copy of my mental list.

Holley Sniper
  • Requires return style system -
  • Has color screen that can double as guages +
  • Can drive Holley EFI gauges + (can’t do oil pressure) -
  • No Ford automatic transmission kick down - (needs Lokar cable)
  • Can control timing +
  • Can control cooling fans+
MSD Atomic
  • Can run returnless system via PWM fuel pump drive, or can run return style+
  • Doesn’t appear to be able to drive gauges. -
  • No Ford automatic transmission kick down -
  • Can control timing +
Both of these systems can be had for about $1250.00 with fuel systems. Holley uses a clamp on O2 bung, which I’m skeptical of, but you can always get a weld bung. Holley fuel system includes fitting for return to tank. Holley video says you can dump the return back into the filler neck.

Holley Terminator
  • Requires return style system -
  • Requires external pressure regulator -
  • Requires external ECU -
  • External ECU can be upgraded to HP Specs + Unclear if it can be upgraded to run oil pressure gauge ? Does not come with wiring for oil pressure - ECU capable of driving gauge but will take custom wiring
  • Has color screen that can double as guages +
  • Can drive Holley EFI gauges +
  • HAS Ford automatic transmission kick down +
  • Can control timing +
Edelbrock E-Street 2.
  • They want you to run one of their fuel sumps with it for a fuel system-
  • Requires external ECU -
  • Connects wirelessly to Android device for programming that can double as guages available without android device if you own one. -
  • Doesn’t appear to be able to drive gauges. -
  • No Ford automatic transmission kick down -
  • Can control timing +
  • Wiring harness has multiple plugs from sensors on throttle body.
Both of these systems are going to be in the $2350.00 + range with a fuel system

Atomic warns against using hard lines for fuel but on their forum they say you can with a return style system.

If you have a truck with a vapor canister that you can remove I don’t see why you couldn’t dump the return back thorough that vent. At least one system warned against this though, then several videos did it.

Overall the Sniper is looking like a very nice system for the money, which is probably why it is out of stock most places.
Robert

MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Thanks for the list DuckRyder, i have to agree the Sniper looks like a really good option. Just two questions: why is Ford kick down linkage too much to ask of these companies? And why do you consider Android connectivity a minus?

Thanks,
-Joe
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Thanks for the list DuckRyder,
You’re welcome of course.

I should point out this is just sort of my mental checklist based on reading instructions and watching installation videos both the companies official ones and independent ones.
i have to agree the Sniper looks like a really good option.

It is just so ugly. I guess it is a good excuse to run a big factory style air cleaner to cover it up. :eek:
Just two questions: why is Ford kick down linkage too much to ask of these companies?

That is a good question, I’m guessing Ford automatic transmissions are a fairly small slice of the EFI market and the Lokar cable conversion is considered a viable alternative.
And why do you consider Android connectivity a minus?

Thanks,
-Joe
I don’t own anything that runs on android (Actually that may not be true, I think my TV does - but probably I can’t use it to tune the EFI) so I think that is a needless expense for something I’ll only use occasionally. If I already had a compatible device or if was iOS compatible I might consider it a plus.
Robert