72 Sport Custom: Hitting Play after 19 years of being on Pause...

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

72SportCustom

72 Sport Custom: Hitting Play after 19 years of being on Pause...

Post by 72SportCustom »

After 19 years have past, including the birth of 3 kids, several others cars and jobs, dogs and life changes, I find myself hitting play of the '72 Sport Custom after being on pause for so long of a time. This week, the chassis and cab will leave the driveway and head off for some needed work. The front frame horns will get straightened and returned so that I can start the Crown Vic front suspension conversion and the cab will be in the body shop to start and rust repairs and body work. Two weeks ago, I pulled the engine and transmission and cleaned it up (pulled the intake, valve covers, timing cover, oil pan, headers and such and cleaned them up and inspected everything to make sure that its long idle did not harm the internals. After ordering a few replacement parts, bead blasting, cleaning and respraying everything, I have started reassembly and the pic below is the results after only a week from when it was pulled out. I am taking a little bit at a time and making it into what I had planned out so long ago.

More to come as things progress.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 72 Sport Custom: Hitting Play after 19 years of being on Pause...

Post by sargentrs »

Great looking engine! Looking forward to seeing more.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:yip: :love: Sweet engine..I've only been on pause for 4yrs....can't even imagine 19 :eek: :pray:
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

Engine looks Great!!
72SportCustom

Post by 72SportCustom »

Here is one pic from many years ago right after I bought it (roughly 20 years ago)

The engine was the first thing to get done so many years ago and was easy to get back to where it was back then since it was never started once it went in. I bot the starter bolted on this evening and am waiting for the kick down rod to arrive. Once it arrives, I am done except for a few minor things (which will involve changing oil and temp sensors as the Dakota Digital analog gauges that I plan on getting will require them to be changed and making my harness). The rest is bolting on new battery cables and the alternator & power steering setup once I get it ordered (debating AC...).
FritzC

Post by FritzC »

Looks exciting. Can't wait to see the progress as it moves along. Motor looks fantastic.