1967 F100 4x4 352 V8 oil pan

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Diveboss

1967 F100 4x4 352 V8 oil pan

Post by Diveboss »

Truck is a 1967 f100 4x4 with 352 V8
First off, it has 2 dipsticks, both on the drivers side, front one coming out of the engine block right behind where the oil filter screws in, the other comes out of the oil pan. The front one barely reads oil on the stick, and the rear one from the oil pan reads full....I've been going by the rear one as that seems to be accurate with about 4.5-5 quart capacity on oil change.
The problem is the rear dipstick that goes through the oil pan leaks where it goes through the pan at the seam.....seems to be getting worse. It looks like I have plenty of room to drop that pan, weld the area, and replace. However, I've been reading that you can't get that pan out without lifting the engine?
Does anyone know why I have 2 dipsticks and if I can drop that pan easily?
Thanks!
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1967 F100 4x4 352 V8 oil pan

Post by colnago »

This is an educated guess, but is your truck a 2WD? From your description, it sounds like someone swapped in a 4x4 pan somewhere in its life. The 2WD pan has the sump up front, while the 4x4 pan has it in the rear. The front dipstick probably goes to a nonexistent front sump, so it doesn't get to dip into the deep part of the oil, while the rear dipstick does dip into the rear of the pan, and gives an accurate reading.

I have the front 2WD sump, which is right above the cross member, so I can't drop the pan. You probably don't have that problem since the sump isn't above the cross member, and probably can drop the pan. When you do this, you might see about temoving the front dipstick and plugging the hole, since it doesn't do any good.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Diveboss

Post by Diveboss »

I think it's a rear sump pan that only went on the 4x4's. Just weird that it still has the front dipstick as well?
Does anyone know how that rear dipstick connects to the oil pan? It has a riveted plate on the side of the pan where the dipstick tube goes in, but the tube is loose and leaks pretty bad.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

4X4 is the rear dip stick they are bad about leaking around the pan. pulled my 360's pan and resealed it. Replaced the rivets with bolts and all metal lock nuts. the pan comes off fairly easy in the 4x4's if it does not come straight out lift her up on some jackstands then let the front axle droop down. Give you some more room that way. How you have to do the early broncos for them to come out. For that front dipstick you can just tap a freeze plug into place. at some point a 2wd engine found its way into you truck. For curiosity does you oil filter go out to the side (2WD) or hang straight down from a 90 degree adapter (4X4)
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).