Spark Plug threads stripped in the block.....

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Socal F250

Spark Plug threads stripped in the block.....

Post by Socal F250 »

Started working on the new to me truck with a friend this weekend. Changing all the fluids, belts etc. Changed all of the plugs and the last two appeared to be stripped in the block to some extent. We were still able to get close to the correct compression specs but is this something I should have fixed right away or just let it go until there is an issue?

It sounds like to tap the threads I will need to remove the motor and tear it down? Is there another way?

Thanks in advance......

71 F250 4x4 with the 352

[image]187[/image]
1971 F250 Explorer 4wd
2006 E350 Adventure Van 4wd
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Spark Plug threads stripped in the block.....

Post by colnago »

If it were my engine, I'd get a new set of heads. If I had to drill/tap, I'd pull the heads. Otherwise, there's no way to make sure you don't get metal shavings in the cylinders. Call a local machinist, and see what they can do for you.

Just my two cents,

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Spark Plug threads stripped in the block.....

Post by bluef250 »

Yes, you can install an insert with the head in place. Lots of videos on net about procedure. Use wheel bearing grease to catch shavings.