Thermal Cleaning

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

MadJoe

Thermal Cleaning

Post by MadJoe »

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it. Anywho, this is the result of having a 1963 4bbl intake, that sat in a garage for the past 30+ years collecting dust, rust, and mouse nests, thermally cleaned. I was so impressed I had to share. I wish I had thought to take a before, it was bad; basically rusty everywhere it wasn't caked with greasy oil buildup.

Now to get the carburetor (or EFI) for it and install it already!

It's shiny because it was bathed in WD40 to keep away the rust until I can paint it (seriously considering Dark Titanium Metallic since it's the closest thing I can find to what it is now). Oh, and just ignore the brake booster vacuum adapter sitting in one of the carb ports. ;)
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Thermal Cleaning

Post by colnago »

Nice! Do remember to remove the vacuum adapter, or it might screw up your performance! On a serious note, what's the cylindrical bump at the back of the intake?

Joseph.
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

That is sexy! :drool:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Joseph: I'm not sure what you mean. You mean the one on the corner of the runner going to cylinder 4 (below and to the right of where "firing order" is stamped)? I'm not sure what any of the bumps are, so I'll have to wait for someone more knowledable than me to chime in.

SargentRS: Thanks, I thought so too. Now to figure out how to keep it looking like that :pray:

-Joe
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Damn. Now I have manifold envy. Yours makes my '63 intake look like crap :(
63 Galaxie intake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jacksdad on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

MadJoe wrote:Joseph: I'm not sure what you mean. You mean the one on the corner of the runner going to cylinder 4?
No, I was wondering about the one off of the runner to cylinder 8. From the photo, it looks like a half-cylinder on its side, with a bump on each side. All the way at the rear of the intake., right behind the two mounting holes for the throttle return bracket I have a 4BBL intake from a 70's-era truck, and it looks really similar, but I don't think it has that bump (I have the "S" manifold on the engine right now, and I have a "T" manifold going on the rebuild). I'll have to check tonight, and post a photo.

I expect the bumps on the corners of runners 4 and 5 are probably from the casting process, but that's just a supposition on my part.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

colnago wrote:
MadJoe wrote:Joseph: I'm not sure what you mean. You mean the one on the corner of the runner going to cylinder 4?
No, I was wondering about the one off of the runner to cylinder 8. From the photo, it looks like a half-cylinder on its side, with a bump on each side. All the way at the rear of the intake., right behind the two mounting holes for the throttle return bracket I have a 4BBL intake from a 70's-era truck, and it looks really similar, but I don't think it has that bump (I have the "S" manifold on the engine right now, and I have a "T" manifold going on the rebuild). I'll have to check tonight, and post a photo.

I expect the bumps on the corners of runners 4 and 5 are probably from the casting process, but that's just a supposition on my part.

Joseph
Ahh, yes I see what you mean. That's the vacuum port for the brake booster adapter that's sitting in the carburetor port in the photo (I've since moved it).

Tim: This one is also a '63 according to the engine guy who cleaned it for me. He said the casting numbers, which I'll get a closer photo of and post once I'm off work, are what he used to determine that. Also, to me yours looks like it's mostly rusty so you might not need to do more than soak it in rice vinegar and scrub with a wire brush to get similar results. Mine was really rusty, extremely grimy, and had housed its fair share of mouse nests throughout the years and the PO had put poison that started turning the iron green in there, not to mention the accelerated rusting caused by all the mouse pee. It was in some rough shape. I really wish I had taken a before.

Hey is there any chance you could get a close up of the back of yours to confirm/deny it also has the large vacuum port on it?

ETA: In case anyone's interested: the Thermal cleaning cost $120 and I had it done by J&M Machining in Southborough, MA. Really impressed with their work, would definitely use them again.

-Joe
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Joseph: What's the difference between an "S" and non-S manifold? Mine is obviously not an S, but all of the "S" manifolds I can find online look identical except for the "S" stamped on them so I'm not sure what the difference could be.

-Joe
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Here's a generic photo of the "S" intake (it's referred to as the "S" intake because of the big "S" cast into one of the runners). It looks very similar, but it doesn't have that "bump" behind runner 8. So, I was curious what the bump was for on your intake. The "T intake is very similar to the "S", but you don't see them as often. They also have some plumbing for emissions, but I have mine blocked. I was told "S" is for "sucks," and "T" is for "trucks." I've also been told that Ford never made a good 4BBL intake, and that the Ford 4BBL is just like the Edelbrock Performer, just heavier. So many opinions. I think you just have to make a choice, and go with it.

Joseph
S Intake.jpg
On edit, I just saw your reply about it being for a vacuum port. I wonder why they removed it. I currently have my booster going into the base of my Edelbrock carburetor, so it's not needed. Just an interesting change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

colnago wrote:what's the cylindrical bump at the back of the intake?
Before they had a PCV the crankcase was vented out to the atmosphere. that might be what it is.?
There would be a tube bolted on and pointed under the car.
I remember some old cars would really smoke, ( All emission controls aren't bad.)
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I guess my intake isn't too bad - a few hours work and it should clean up nicely. It still has traces of the original paint in a couple of places.

Not the best lighting, but I dragged it out and got these pics.
Intake manifold 3.jpg

Intake manifold 1.jpg
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.