Need install advice for bypass tube

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Carb

Need install advice for bypass tube

Post by Carb »

Hey all, trying to press fit a 5/8' x 2-1/2 in steel water pump bypass tube into my manifold. Having a hell of a time. I know it has to be tight but.....is there a trick to install? I have tried chamfering the end and tapping with a hammer and wood block. I just cant get purchase. Worried i may go in at an angle or otherwise bend it.

One trick i thought of is put a short screwdriver on the end so I am tapping on the handle of the screwdriver to insert.

Help! any advice?

EDIT: SOLUTION: SO I measured both O.D. and I.D. of the tube and hole and found the tube was .024 over diameter, which according to my mechanic friend was too much. When I brought this up with mustangs etc they measured an original tube and found it to be the same O.D., however much thinner gauge. I ended up chucking it in my drill press and sanding it down a thousandth or so and I was able to tap it in with some grey gasket sealer.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Last edited by Carb on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Need install advice for bypass tube

Post by sargentrs »

Put the tube in the freezer for a couple of hours hours(preferably overnight). Then grab a propane torch and heat around the hole in the manifold. Then quickly grab the nipple and tap it in. It'll tap right in and when the temps equalize it'll be in there tight.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

With or without sealant/silicone?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I would put some Ultra Grey water pump gasket sealant around the tube.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.