Is my carb to big?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Clapper67

Is my carb to big?

Post by Clapper67 »

So I have a 390 .30 over rv cam "not sure on the specs" and a 750 cfm edelbrock carb. I'm having a bit of a hesitation issue on the freeway around 65-70 mph. I'm wondering if my carb is just to big for my application?
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Is my carb to big?

Post by My427stang »

No it is not, especially an Edelbrock, they are very forgiving

I'd be looking for vacuum leaks or potentially low float level.

How does it drive at lower RPM?
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
Clapper67

Post by Clapper67 »

My427stang wrote:No it is not, especially an Edelbrock, they are very forgiving

I'd be looking for vacuum leaks or potentially low float level.

How does it drive at lower RPM?
Idles fine and winds up fine through the gears but I did notice that my glass inline fuel filter looks empty when she's running. There's obviously gas getting to the carb cuz she's running but I'm wondering if at the higher speed and rpm if I'm having a fuel starvation issue.
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

Gas in a fuel filter can be misleading, but you never know. Is the pump old? Any chance the feed line is collapsing or pinched anywhere from the tank to the pump?
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
Clapper67

Post by Clapper67 »

My427stang wrote:Gas in a fuel filter can be misleading, but you never know. Is the pump old? Any chance the feed line is collapsing or pinched anywhere from the tank to the pump?
Lines are good, not sure about the pump. It's an off the rack autozone probably made in chin pump I got off my uncle's old FE.