Coating inside of fuel tank.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

cobra460jet

Coating inside of fuel tank.

Post by cobra460jet »

What's everyone using to coat the inside of there fuel tank?
ddcrim

Re: Coating inside of fuel tank.

Post by ddcrim »

Just my opinion, but I would replace the tank unless it's some rare tank that you can't find new. I have heard stories about
the coatings melting after time and clogging everything up. The newer stuff may be OK, but new tanks aren't that much.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

When I had an '82 Honda Magna 750, everyone used one of two products. Kreem was cheap and easy, but debonded from the tank after a couple of years. Por-15 was a permanent liner, but you had to be careful not to plug any lines. Obviously, we were dealing with fuel tanks that carried maybe five gallons, not 20, so it was easier to man-handle the tank while the Por-15 was catalyzing. But everyone swore on it.

Does it need coating? Some guys used muriatic acid (petroleum jelly) to take the rust off. Personally, I prefer phosphoric acid. You can get it at Home Depot. Put in the acid, and a handful of ball bearings, or BBs, or nuts 'n bolts, or ..., then tumble it until it's clean. You'll want to treat the rust before lining it anyway.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I've used Por-15 for years in at least five vehicles, from my pickup, to Falcons, Mustang, 8N tractor, rototillers....have never had an issue with it whatsoever. Dropped a tank for some frame work, ten years after I coated it, looked the same as it did right after I finished coating it. I'll never use anything else.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.