Modern Oils and FE Engines

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Modern Oils and FE Engines

Post by colnago »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:What's your filter of choice? I'm the same way about Fram - been using Motorcraft on my stuff for quite a while with good results - just being curious....... :D
Uh oh ... We're going from an oil war to a filter war!

I typically use Bosch, Mobil, or Motorcraft. It depends what "package deal" is being offered that week at AutoZone. I was warned away from Fram years ago, but I've never cut one open to see the differences (if any). I used to use Wix on a Chevy Duramax.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

Up here in Canada we use 10/30 oil in just about everything except the new car and truck which require 5/20 oil and if that oil is not used, the sensors pick up the difference in grade and shut the engine off. :eek: Good grief! :cuss: I buy the 10/30 by the 55 gallon drum in Montana and it costs about $2.60 a quart with taxes and travel, Montana is 14 miles south of here, the oil retailer is another 100 miles south of the border. But in our flat tappet engines we add a product called "Trick flow", a 12 oz engine oil supplement and I cannot believe how slippery it makes the oil. So a basic oil change is $13 for the oil plus the filter and this Trick Flow is $14.95 but it really seems to make a difference. We use multi grade oils in our aircraft, 15/50 in the Continental engines, ( and my lawn mower as it too is air cooled) and Phillips 66, 25/60 multigrade in the radial engines. As far as oil filters we found that the heavier the filter the better. :thup: We don't use Fram, ever. Genuine Ford/Motorcraft are the better ones or anything at CARQUEST. NAPA seems to sell from any manufacturer that has the cheapest build for that week. So we don't shop there either. I read here that some folks use 15/40 oil which is an excellent choice for running warmer temps. :fr:
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:Jacksdad,
What's your filter of choice? I'm the same way about Fram - been using Motorcraft on my stuff for quite a while with good results - just being curious....... :D
The last few oil changes on my vehicles have seen me use Motorcraft, Bosch, Wix and STP. I'm not exactly married to one brand.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Clunker

Post by Clunker »

I use Wix filters on my Japanese cars and Motorcraft on my F250. I chose Wix because auto manufacturers recommend it, and a mechanic friend told me I should ditch Fram filters and switch to Wix. I decided on Motorcraft because that's what most FE owners seem to recommend. I have no idea if any of them are better than any other. I think changing the filter regularly is probably more important than the brand of filter.
1970 F250 CS: 360, RV cam, Edelbrock Performer 390 intake, Holley 600, headers, Pertronix II, Flamethrower coil.