engine block casting #

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

jf100

engine block casting #

Post by jf100 »

I just bought a 302 block. Not sure what year or what it came out of. Can anyone help by sending me to a site or if they know. The numbers are
D4DE-615-BA Z Right under that is L24 on a small tag. Thank you for any help. I am planning to build this engine so I can replace the 302 that I have in the truck. I just want to know what I am ordering parts for. It did not come with the crank or oil pan.

Jim
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: engine block casting #

Post by colnago »

Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think:

D = 1970s
4 = 4th year in the decade
D = Maverick
E = Engine

So, you have an engine from a 1974 Maverick.

Sounds like you have a fun project. I'm about half way through a rebuild on a 352 FE, and everything is so stinkin' heavy! I figure if I can do this, then I can do anything.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

colnago wrote:Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think:

D = 1970s
4 = 4th year in the decade
D = Maverick
E = Engine

So, you have an engine from a 1974 Maverick.

Sounds like you have a fun project. I'm about half way through a rebuild on a 352 FE, and everything is so stinkin' heavy! I figure if I can do this, then I can do anything.

Joseph

Nope

D4DE

D......Means it was intended for the 1970 decade
4......Means it was intended for the 1974 model year
D......Means that The design cost was charged to the maverick and destined for the same
E......Means engine

Here is where the Nope comes in

The engine could have a date code anywhere from april 1973 till Ford did a design change

The date code will look something like 4M12= 1974...December....12th
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

tnlprt wrote: D4DE

D......Means that The design cost was charged to the maverick and destined for the same
E......Means engine

The engine could have a date code anywhere from april 1973 till Ford did a design change

So, is it fair to say that the D4DE is an indication of when the component was to be introduced into the line (in this case, the 1974 model year), but it could possibly have no design changes (therefore, stay D4DE forever) until Ford ends that particular engine line? For example, have the D4DE, but with a date code of 9M12, showing that there was a casting of the component on December 12, 1979?

If so, that clears up a lot of confusion on my part.

Joseph.
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

colnago wrote:
tnlprt wrote: D4DE

E......Means engine

So, is it fair to say that the D4DE is an indication of when the component was to be introduced into the line (in this case, the 1974 model year), but it could possibly have no design changes (therefore, stay D4DE forever) until Ford ends that particular engine line? For example, have the D4DE, but with a date code of 9M12, showing that there was a casting of the component on December 12, 1979?

If so, that clears up a lot of confusion on my part.

Joseph.
You are 100% correct ....A part designated for the 1974 model year can have a date code up to 8 months earlier than jan 1st of the model year .....New cars are released in august of the previous year.......On the later side a for instance is.....On FE D2TE heads The heads were used up to the end of installation in the trucks in 1976 So the heads can have a 1976 date code