Exhaust manifolds

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

NewOrleansMan

Exhaust manifolds

Post by NewOrleansMan »

My exhaust manifolds on my 71 f250 with a 390 are cracked, have been seal welded and I am looking to get new ones. I have done a bit of research on this forum and have decided it is worth my time to invest in some performace manifolds vs trying to find another set of stocks. Three questions: 1). Does anyone have any supplier suggestions for a decent set of manifolds? 2). Am I correct that the left and right manifolds will not be symetrical? 3). How much do you think it would cost to have someone else install them?

Thanks yall!
1971 F250 Camper Special Sport Custom
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Exhaust manifolds

Post by TNIceWolf »

Unless you mean headers I am not sure what you mean by performance manifolds. They may exist for all I know but never heard of them myself. As far as replacing the cast iron stock manifolds thats not that hard. Just about any manifold off an FE engine should work for less money. They can still be sourced in parts yards and local parts stores. Look at the link in my signature below to give you an idea of what I mean.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
NewOrleansMan

Post by NewOrleansMan »

TNIceWolf wrote:Unless you mean headers I am not sure what you mean by performance manifolds. They may exist for all I know but never heard of them myself. As far as replacing the cast iron stock manifolds thats not that hard. Just about any manifold off an FE engine should work for less money. They can still be sourced in parts yards and local parts stores. Look at the link in my signature below to give you an idea of what I mean.
-yes, absolutely meant headers...thanks for picking that up.
1971 F250 Camper Special Sport Custom
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

i went with sanderson ff427 mid-length ceramic coated. bought through summit. the sandersons come in a less expensive plain steel option too. lots of fellow members seemed happy with the sandersons but there are a few other options too. sandersons are made is usa and use hi-temp gasket sealer instead of printed gaskets and seem to be high quality w less chance of exhaust leaks. i'm happy with them. price for a shop to install is certainly dependent on where you're located plus how much unknown difficulty the shop runs into. broken manifold bolts which need drilling out being the main headache / unknown. i had 2 that required drilling but did it myself when engine was out of the truck. shops would prob charge extra few hundred bucks for that work i would guess on top of a few hrs work for the regular - plus maybe $100 for an exhaust shop to rework the collectors / attachment to your existing exhaust. so my guess $300 - $600 plus cost of the headers?
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
jjdeal79

Post by jjdeal79 »

I see many people using the Sandersons, but does anyone run them on a 4x4? I have a '68 f-100 4X4 W/360. Stock manifolds are long gone by previous owner and the current headers have seen better days. I think they are currently headman, but that's based on pictures.

Has anyone tried putting the original "Y" Galaxie exhaust manifolds in a truck? Someone also makes a header for the Galaxie that has 2 cylinders cross underneath the engine. Some fancy race thing. I can't remember the company who makes them, but they would look sexy (my opinion) on a pickup. That's if they fit.

As far as installing headers, I have to replace the gaskets every year. It's easy if all the bolts come out. The only issue I have is near the firewall, but it is due to clearance of long tube headers. Shop labor here in Alaska is $60-$100 per hour. I do 90% of our automotive work myself.....

EDIT: Just found the link http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChc ... l=&cad=rja
-JJD-
1968 F100 4X4, 360, manual everything, project truck, 4th owner!
1972 F100, 360, C6 was “parts truck", heavily molested before I got it, but it runs great!
2004 Taurus wagon, original owner, 200,000+ and zero major repairs!
2020 F350 6.7 adventure machine