Fan belts....

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Jlkuehl

Fan belts....

Post by Jlkuehl »

My 72 bump has been in pieces for about 10 years now as everything is getting rebuilt, replaced, or otherwise messed with. Finally starting to come back together, with the 3G alternator upgrade, power steering pump rebuild, and new belts. But I ran into a snag....all the trucks I've seen with the 360 FE, power steering, and no a/c have a certain arrangement on the belts. 3 sheaves on the crank, 2 on the water pump, and belts running crank-water pump-alternator, and crank-water pump- power steering, or the power steerimg is driven by the vrank itself via a half inch belt. Mine is very different. The power steering pump pulley lines up with the second sheave on the crank, and I have a single sheave on my water pump. My belts run crank-water pump-alternator, and crank-power steering. So the belt from the crank to power steering pump doesn't show up in any parts manual or lookup. Anyone else have a setup like this?
20161018_145502-768x1365.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SeapineF37

Re: Fan belts....

Post by SeapineF37 »

my 72 390 w alt and power steering has a double on crank plus another add-on double. running two belts crank-h20-alt and one direct crank-steering and the furtherst away crank pulley slot unused. maybe it was originally one belt crank-h20-alt and one belt crank-steering? regardless, its simple enough to upgrade the pulleys, spacers, and belts to whatever setup you desire with simple swaps... would think two to the upgraded alt a plus.
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
Jlkuehl

Post by Jlkuehl »

That's going to be the next upgrade, dual belt alt and water pump pulleys, and changing the steering pump pulley to one that will take a half inch belt and will line up with the outer sheave on the crank. Running the middle groove on the crank for the steering, I had to pick up a 15480 belt from the local farm store to fit the narrow sheaves on the crank and pump. I have my doubts that a single belt will operate that 3G alt once I have the truck finished. I've been entertaining the thought of adapting some junkyard parts to make the 360 a serpentine setup, but that's on the nice but not necessary list. I'm hoping to get a bit of time at the local pick-n-pull to get a good deal of parts to continue my build. After 44 years and who knows how many owners, I doubt much of the truck is factory. If I didn't love this truck so much, I would have gotten rid of it and built something different! :lol:
pchelp101

Re: Fan belts

Post by pchelp101 »

Did you ever find a kit to convert to serpentine belt?
1969 F100, 390, 3 Speed, 2WD
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Jlkuehl wrote:That's going to be the next upgrade, dual belt alt and water pump pulleys, and changing the steering pump pulley to one that will take a half inch belt and will line up with the outer sheave on the crank. Running the middle groove on the crank for the steering, I had to pick up a 15480 belt from the local farm store to fit the narrow sheaves on the crank and pump. I have my doubts that a single belt will operate that 3G alt once I have the truck finished. I've been entertaining the thought of adapting some junkyard parts to make the 360 a serpentine setup, but that's on the nice but not necessary list. I'm hoping to get a bit of time at the local pick-n-pull to get a good deal of parts to continue my build. After 44 years and who knows how many owners, I doubt much of the truck is factory. If I didn't love this truck so much, I would have gotten rid of it and built something different! :lol:
My 72' f100 was setup the single PS belt. Got a bunch of pulleys stacked up around here for Fe engines. May have something you need for the dual pulleys. :D
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

Manny wrote:
Jlkuehl wrote:That's going to be the next upgrade, dual belt alt and water pump pulleys, and changing the steering pump pulley to one that will take a half inch belt and will line up with the outer sheave on the crank. Running the middle groove on the crank for the steering, I had to pick up a 15480 belt from the local farm store to fit the narrow sheaves on the crank and pump. I have my doubts that a single belt will operate that 3G alt once I have the truck finished. I've been entertaining the thought of adapting some junkyard parts to make the 360 a serpentine setup, but that's on the nice but not necessary list. I'm hoping to get a bit of time at the local pick-n-pull to get a good deal of parts to continue my build. After 44 years and who knows how many owners, I doubt much of the truck is factory. If I didn't love this truck so much, I would have gotten rid of it and built something different! :lol:
My 72' f100 was setup the single PS belt. Got a bunch of pulleys stacked up around here for Fe engines. May have something you need for the dual pulleys. :D
Hey Manny, I am also looking for a three groove pulley for a 390
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Sent a pm to ya...
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

This is the pulley currently installed on my 69 390. I need a two or three groove
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.