5.0 swap ignition help

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

1972 gumby

5.0 swap ignition help

Post by 1972 gumby »

Hi. I have swapped a 5.0 from an 1984 mustang with a carb set up to my 72 f100 that had an i6. The mustang engine still has the stock distributor with the 3 wire plug. Where do info from here and what do I need to do to connect it to my existing wiring. Thanks in advance
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 5.0 swap ignition help

Post by Whateverman »

There used to be a link on the tech page regarding swapping to an electronic ignition...ain't there no more .... search the electrical and wiring section for " Duraspark"
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...
craftsman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by craftsman »

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Go to your local parts store and get a Duraspark ignition module, with the blue grommet not the yellow, for a '76-'77 F100, it's about $30. Ideally, you should get the 4 prong harness from the module to the 3 prong plug on your distributor and the 2 prong harness from the module to the ignition. You can get those from a junk yard from any mid to late 70's Ford with a V8, car or truck. One's from the mustang you got your engine from will work too. Just cut the harness off at the firewall leaving enough for you to splice into. Here's a pic of the harnesses and a diagram for hooking it up. The piece of harness I mentioned cutting off at the firewall of your donor plugs into the loose plug at the bottom right of the photo. When connected to the ignition switch, be sure to bypass the pink resistor wire. If you get what you need, post back and we'll walk you through it. Best upgrade I ever did to my truck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.