noise in gas tank

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

blumule
Preferred User
Preferred User

noise in gas tank

Post by blumule »

leaving work today my 69 just died on me. coasted into a parking lot and stopped.heard the strangest sound . at first i thought a jet was flying over.then realized it was a swooshing bbubbling sound from behind my seat in tank. lasted about a minute then stopped . truck never started back. havent had time to investigate. im thinking pump. what do yall think?
chad67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: noise in gas tank

Post by chad67 »

That almost sounds like the tank was not venting correctly. If so, the pump would pump until it couldn't overcome the vacuum. If it died under those circumstances, it would suck the fuel from the lines back to the tank. Try running it without the gas cap on (parked, of course) and see what happens. You may have to pour a little gas down the carb to get it going.
1967 F100 SWB
1991 Thunderbird 5.0 with fully ported gt40 heads, cobra intake (also ported) and a trickflow stage 2 cam, manual steering, and custom 3" exhaust
BRUTUS_T_HOG
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BRUTUS_T_HOG »

Clogged gas cap vent. Run it without a gas cap to verify then get a new VENTED gas cap
ASE Certified Technician
blumule
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by blumule »

that was my first thought. i removed cap and tried cranking but gas never entered fuel bowl. i have a clear in line filter. want to mention a tapping sound on fuel line behind seat and a woosh when opening cap. i did purchase a new cap last month thinking this would help. i assumed this woosh was a normal thing as my other vehicle do it.
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

Just a thought, Theres two different caps for our trucks. One's vented, the others not. 67-69 vented,70-72 not vented- 70-72 a vent line runs to the front of the right frame to a charcole filter.

If its sucking air when you pulled the cap i think the parts store gave you the wrong year cap.
vwfreak

Post by vwfreak »

Still have a filter in your fuel pump? Might be clogged if venting tank still won't let fuel feed.
1967 F250 66k original miles when bought in 2012. Original 352 bored and stroked (Oct 13) to 396 cid, Upgrades include Cam Motion solid cam and lifters, C8AE-H heads now flow 220 intake/163-170 exhaust w/o pipes. Current project is a C6 swap in place of the original FMX. 4:10 Dana 60. Truck Custom ordered by original owner in Dark Moss Green over Wimbledon White.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

blumule wrote:want to mention a tapping sound on fuel line behind seat ...
I get this in my truck when the tank is getting low, especially if it's cold outside. Really irritating tap-tap-tap. But right now, I use it as a reminder to get to a gas station! Better than a dash light ... and it's stock!

+1 on the gas cap and the clogged fuel filter.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
blumule
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by blumule »

ill figure it out this weekend. always like to get some helpful thoughts. my truck is a 69 and definately has the vented cap. i previously had the locking cap and it never sucked air,
chad67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by chad67 »

That wooshing sound was the vacuum in your fuel tank sucking all the fuel from your lines back to the tank. As long as you have plenty of gas in the tank, dribble a little gas down the carb and then start it. It should fill the lines and prime your fuel pump. It may take a couple of times to fill your carb, too. Btw, don't try dribbling gas in the carb while it's running, any backfire will prove to be very "interesting".
1967 F100 SWB
1991 Thunderbird 5.0 with fully ported gt40 heads, cobra intake (also ported) and a trickflow stage 2 cam, manual steering, and custom 3" exhaust
R.Smith
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by R.Smith »

I went thru this with a cap that was supposedly vented but, wasn't. I replaced 2 fuel pumps before it dawned on me that the vaccum created by the non vented cap was causing the fuel pump diaphram to rupture.
blumule
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by blumule »

The gas cap not venting properly is the only logical explanation. Once I cracked the cap open I expected pump to refill my bowl. When it didn't I have to wonder if it didn't ruin my fuel pump. Ill.pullnmy gas line tonight and see. :thup: