Building my first engine

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

CNM67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Building my first engine

Post by CNM67 »

So I'm jumping in feet first in this little endeavor.
So far I've managed to clean and re-hone the .030 over block, remove the cam bearings the P/O incorrectly installed. Then I ordered a new set along with a new cam plug and correctly installed them.
Next up was the new melling RV cam
I took my crankshaft in to be mic'ed and found it may be a lost caues, the mains are 40 under and the rod journals are stock and the crank itself isn't in the best of shape. So now I'm waiting to hear back from the shop and will go from there.
The iron never lies and 200 pounds is always 200 pounds
68 Ford Stepside
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Building my first engine

Post by 68 Ford Stepside »

Looking good. When you say you cleaned the block, did that include removing the oil passages plugs & rodding them out with a good brush made for that job ?
"Have A Great Ford Day"
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Looks good so far! It's a SBF aint' it? And your wife is really gonna' be mad for you using her chair like that! :lol:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

basketcase0302 wrote:Looks good so far! It's a SBF aint' it? And your wife is really gonna' be mad for you using her chair like that! :lol:
LOL dude .dude ,dude,,,,,,,, that there son is a FE big block! note the caps are below the pan rail :hd:
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

fbomb100 wrote:
basketcase0302 wrote:Looks good so far! It's a SBF aint' it? And your wife is really gonna' be mad for you using her chair like that! :lol:
LOL dude .dude ,dude,,,,,,,, that there son is a FE big block! note the caps are below the pan rail :hd:
Ford FE engines... the only place where long skirts are a good thing! :D
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

HIO Silver wrote:
fbomb100 wrote:
Ford FE engines... the only place where long skirts are a good thing! :D
I can think of one other but can only say its so the eyes don't hurt
CNM67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CNM67 »

68 Ford Stepside wrote:Looking good. When you say you cleaned the block, did that include removing the oil passages plugs & rodding them out with a good brush made for that job ?
All the machine work was already done to the block but the P/O didn't take care of it so it wound up accumulating surface rust on all the machined surfaces.
CNM67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CNM67 »

No sir that there is a 390, and about the chair it was out back of the local sheriffs station and got saved from going to the dump. It now serves it's purpose as a garage chair. :lol:
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

You can tell it is an Fe by the cam shaft

You might want to get a good sharp 1/2 inch bit and open the oil pickup hole in the block
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

tnlprt wrote:You can tell it is an Fe by the cam shaft

You might want to get a good sharp 1/2 inch bit and open the oil pickup hole in the block
LOL no,,,I can see the block when you been inside alot of motors like I have you get to know them well,, and or read alot of engine rebuild books!
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

And I am saying that you can tell it is an FE by the camshaft

My little Fe

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 16&t=60703
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

Hey Jeff, we may live in Southern California, but I sure as hell ain't his wife!!! :wink: :lol:

Naw, since the boy lives in an apartment without a garage or space to build this 390 beauty, it is up on an engine stand in my garage (and getting grease stains on one of my garage chairs). Due to the 460 for the crew cab being built and up on another engine stand, the C6 from the crew cab that BobbyFord rebuilt for me, and now this 390 being built on another engine stand, the Firebird has been evicted from its garage safehaven and has been parked in the driveway recently.

She cant complain too much, I went out and bought her a weatherproof car cover from California Car Cover to make her feel a little better and put my mind at a little bit of ease. :thup:

Anyway, once we figure out the best way to proceed regarding the crankshaft issue, the rest of the parts are sitting there ready to be assembled. Hopefully the motor will be together sooner than later!
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Rich,
It's a Charlie Daniels song man...
"I aint' even got a garage, you can call home and ask my wife!" :lol:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
68 Ford Stepside
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68 Ford Stepside »

CNM67: Check out my post in the general discussion section on engine builder & let me know if it helps you any. I've got 50 cents in my pocket that says it will. Have A Great Ford Day!
"Have A Great Ford Day"
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Calfdemon wrote:... the Firebird has been evicted from its garage safehaven and has been parked in the driveway recently.
Rich,

If you need, you can always store the Firebird in MY garage! :D I'll try not to put too many miles on her! I'll even make the road trip to pick her up! (I bought a rear bumper and saddle tank from you last year, so I already know where you live :evil: )

CNM67,

The engine is looking great! Looks like you know what you're doing. Keep the photos coming.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.