My current insanity

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

slim_chance

My current insanity

Post by slim_chance »

I been looking into propane conversions since I saw an article in 4-wheeler magazine that had an 85 Toyota truck converted to popane fuel. Does anyone have any experiance with running propane in a carburated gasoline vehicle? I keep running in to how easy it is to convert an older vehicle but not much else.
Logan
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: My current insanity

Post by fordman »

i think the last i heard the kits were around 500 dollars or more. you need a tank the plate that goes under the carb a regulator hoses and something else.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

The most important thing is having a place to fill it that will fill it local to where you are going to drive it. There is nothing around here except BBQ bottle fillers and the big tank refillers won't do retail vehicle fills.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Jamie that is a good point. :thup:
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
slim_chance

Post by slim_chance »

Just done some reseach on fueling stations and apparently U-haul will refill vehicle tanks along with regular propane tanks.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Logan,

Run a search on "propane" here and you'll find a few threads on it. I believe we have two members in Australia who have converted their bumps to propane, (I think SMClaren might be one). My older brother ran it for some 10 years on his rock crawler, no more carbon is just one of the many benefits it has. :thup:
Maybe someday I'll have one powered by propane also... :roll:
I've got a bunch of links still I believe to propane sites, PM me if you'd like a few?
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
onetuford
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by onetuford »

I did a little e-search since I was wondering the same thing. Here's what I've found: it's not difficult, makes the appropriate power, and its kind of pricey.

http://www.patooyee.com/propane/propane_1.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Impco-42 ... 415c89903a

The ebay link doesn't account for tank straps or a tank or fittings and hoses!

*Edit: a link to an article from "Mother Earth News", circa 1972 where a guy made dual-fuel...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Tr ... rsion.aspx
"I'm not saying, I'm just saying"

1972 Ford F250 C/S XLT 390 NP435, purchased from the son of the original owner, now named Yoda
1967 Ford f100, currently. (2nd Titled owner) Now named Captian Hook
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Whateverman »

for years the provincial gov't here used to give out a grant to help convert your vehicle to propane,they've since stopped doing that and propane filling stations are harder to find now
(if it's a propane only setup )other than the tank theres a regulator and a mixer (basically a propane carb) coolant needs to flow to the regulator to keep the propane in a gaseous state (run out of coolant and the sucker will freeze up the reg and your not going anywhere
propane makes less power than gasoline,but has a higher octane value so you can run way higher compression ratios
the heads usually get reworked ,but i can't remember exactly how,probably getting milled & different valves or something

propane motors tend to run much longer than gas engines - ex 1:the old welder i used to work with had a 350 powered chev van with over 500 000mi on it,still ran really good (except for blue smoke on start up) before it was roadsided for excessive rust
ex 2: my bro had a 67 tempest lemans with a 200 000 mi 400 pontiac engine converted to propane,200 000mi later the rod bearings were toast ,but the heads were still like new
ex 3 : my buddys 78 f250 dually (yeah... its a f250 dually) with a 400/c6 - daily driver/fence installation work truck (overloaded all the time) - has had the truck for 12 years putting 70 000mi on it per year ,got the truck with at least 100k mi on it & finally replaced the engine 2 years ago...
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Propane is real easy to install. Propane never goes bad. Runs at any angle. water in oil issues for low load applications. The mileage isn't very good. Propane doesn't start easy.

It's nice on vehicles that sit a lot, offroad stuff and forklifts. I wouldn't choose it for a vehicle I drove every day.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
slim_chance

Post by slim_chance »

Thanks for the replies. onetuford Thanks for the links that has helped me alot. When I get back to the states in November I am going to do quite a bit of calling around. One thing is to makesure U-Haul does refuel vehicles. Whateverman thanks for the knowledge on vehicles you have known to run it that shows that I can depend on it for dependability. Ill keep you guys updated on it. Sadly this is not for a bump but if succesful then when I get my bump it most likely will be converted too.
yeager351

Post by yeager351 »

there is a couple locals with converted propane cars and trucks and our local Farmers co-op will do the
refills. Most kits ive saw replacedthe carb with aa different type of mixer.
slim_chance

Post by slim_chance »

Ok so my reseearch on propane fuel conversion is going pretty good so far. I even got emails from the alternitive energy division of the Texas Rail Road Commision. He has provided me with some material on converting newer cars I have yet to read it. Also apparently TX is pushing hard to get automotive refueling points installed around the state. I am also researching the statuse of propne fuel in South Carolina if anyone is interested. I am moving back there after I leave the Army.
Logan
onetuford
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by onetuford »

If that info is emailable I would be interested in reading it.
"I'm not saying, I'm just saying"

1972 Ford F250 C/S XLT 390 NP435, purchased from the son of the original owner, now named Yoda
1967 Ford f100, currently. (2nd Titled owner) Now named Captian Hook
slim_chance

Post by slim_chance »

Ok onetuford just pm me your email. It is on troubleshooting propane systems. Any one else want the email just pm me
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

2nd what Dustin said about starting. Now that I remember...the 318 Chrysler powered generators we had in the nursing home had engine heaters to help this. :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4