fuel tank replacement

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

katatude

fuel tank replacement

Post by katatude »

hello im new here! i have a 1971 ford f100 explorer that i am fixing up myself. i had the gas tank cleaned because the truck sat for 10 years and still had old gas in it, well the guys who did it cleaned it with acid and didnt seal it with sealant afterwards so ive been having problems with my carb getting clogged with crap. i bought a new tank so my question is, should i replace all my fuel lines to be safe so i dont run into anymore problems? i am also putting in a new carb because the one i have is just to far gone, new fuel filters are also being put in. if anyone could help me with this i'd give you a big happy face :) thanks
forrestbump
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: fuel tank replacement

Post by forrestbump »

First... :wel: Glad to have you here.

I'm not a big fan of sealing gas tanks after they've been cleaned. My experience is that the sealer flakes off and clogs your fuel system, making it worse off then it was before.

I'd recommend you replace all neoprene fuel lines, blow out your hard lines with compressed air and add two fuel filters, one in the neoprene line next to the bottom of your cab, one between your fuel pump and carb and if your fuel pump has the spin-off canister type built in fuel filter, replace that one also.
1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Sky View Blue, Ranger XLT

1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, A/C, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (again, of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Wimbledon White & Sky View Blue, Ranger (almost twin brothers!)

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do" - Henry Ford

Larry
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

its probably rust in the lines and pump filter.
katatude

Post by katatude »

@ forrestbump thank you for the welcome :) i will add the fuel filters as you mentioned and blow the lines with air before i replace them and see if that works. im going to do the work this week so i'll let ya know how it turns out. thank you for taking the time out to reply :-)

@ fordman thanks for reading my post and replying :)
katatude

Post by katatude »

@ alleycat thanks for the reply :) good call on the fuel filter :thup: the one i bought for the inline is plastic so i'll return it asap. i dont want to have all my hard work ruined from a piece of plastic :eek:
katatude

Post by katatude »

:woohoo: thank you for all of your input everyone, my truck is up and running after sitting for about 5 months. its running great now :fr:
forrestbump
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by forrestbump »

katatude wrote:my truck is up and running after sitting for about 5 months. its running great now
We like stories with Happy Endings! Just keep your eye on your fuel filters...it's amazing how quickly they'll fill up with crap again and again.
1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Sky View Blue, Ranger XLT

1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, A/C, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (again, of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Wimbledon White & Sky View Blue, Ranger (almost twin brothers!)

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do" - Henry Ford

Larry
katatude

Post by katatude »

the whole fuel system is new so fingers crossed i shouldnt have any problems :thup:
thanks forrestbump for your help!