Need Holley carbologist help...

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

happycamper

Need Holley carbologist help...

Post by happycamper »

My new motor is running great; however it has some small bugs plauging me. Carb is a Holley 4160, 600 cfm, elec. choke, vacuum sec. Idle is great, in fact perfect. Driveway revving is nice and smooth; but that is where it ends...Road test: from stop; if I step into it slowly, all is well. If I have to jump on it, especially from a turn, there is an enormous dead zone, followed by a pop through the carb, then I have to feather it to get going again. Everything is new on the motor, including the motor; I thought maybe the power valve was blown, but the symptoms don't seem to be characteristic....ie: sooty plugs, black smoke, fuel dripping, etc.

At a loss here. My dad said to toss it and get an edelbrock, but he's a big mopar-man and that's what seems to work best on them. My wife is going to hit the ceiling if I try and buy anything else for the truck. (It is already on her sh%t list or "needs to be sold" list) Just about ready to agree with the later if I can't get this figured out.
1968 F-250 Camper Special Ranger 16769 Original miles :D
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Need Holley carbologist help...

Post by 390Nut »

Cant help with the holley, but when it comes to the wife, ask her much she spent on clothes, nails, hair, make-up, (you know, all those things she spends money on that aren't for the WHOLE family) etc last year. As long as you aren't hurting the family financially, she has nothing to bitch about. ;)
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
george worley
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by george worley »

I would check the accerlator pump to see if it puts out a steady stream of gas when the throttle is opened. Also could be low fuel level in the float bowl. If it has a sight plug on it the fuel should be even with the bottom of the hole. If you rock the truck gas should just trickle out,same for the rear bowl.
happycamper

Post by happycamper »

I was thinking right along the same line as you George. I took the day off from tinkering with the truck and it opened me up to some new approaches, that being one of them, a new thermostat being the other. I also got ahold of Holley tech support in Kentucky and they forwarded the tuning manual to me in .pdf. Knowledge and parts in hand, I set forth on a journey into tomorrows frontier. :D
happycamper

Post by happycamper »

390Nut - Wish you were my neighbor. I explained how a new truck depreciation could restore mine twice over.

And now its time for a cold PBR, or 2, or 3, or... Its 97 degrees outside.
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by woods »

I bet your timing is set around 6 to 8 initial right?
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

george worley wrote:I would check the accerlator pump to see if it puts out a steady stream of gas when the throttle is opened. Also could be low fuel level in the float bowl. If it has a sight plug on it the fuel should be even with the bottom of the hole. If you rock the truck gas should just trickle out,same for the rear bowl.
:yt:

Check the pump, engine off & SLOWLY open the throtle. Should be a steady stream out of the shooters. Repeat with a quick snap of the throttle. Results should be damn near the same. If not, pump change is in order. Pump shot can be adjusted by different pump cams, or possibly squirter size if needed, but we need to check the basics first. What size motor are we working with? I damn sure wouldn't replace a Holley with an Edlebrock, but that's a whole 'nother thread :wink:

as always.. :2cents:
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
70SportCustom

Post by 70SportCustom »

interested in seeing how this comes out I am having the exact same problem with a 4160 750cfm on my 428cj motor. got a link to that tuning PDF?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

70SportCustom wrote:...got a link to that tuning PDF?
Try this...> http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Tec ... 7948-5.pdf
element7878

Post by element7878 »

I have the same carb, and mine has the same issue also :hmm: .........Its like whatever you do with the carb it has a big hesitation....and like you said, if you stomp on it from a stop, it will backfire out the carb sometimes almost killing it.....but if you tap the gas barely right after it will stay running.....Runs great on the highway, you can stomp on it or do whatever.....its only from a dead stop
1967 ford f100 Shortbed
Ford 360,edelbrock intake,holly 4bbl 600,rv cam
San Antonio, Texas
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by woods »

That's a lean condition or retarded timing. It either needs a bigger pump shot, more timing or both.
happycamper

Post by happycamper »

you are dead nuts on element7878! Exact same thing, exact same thing! Everything is new under my hood (360&the C6), timing is 8 initial, distrib is rebuilt, vac advance working, new plugs gapped at .40, (electronic ign.), cap/ rotor/ wires/ all new, fuel pump and filter are new, and no fiddle-farting-around with the carb has cured anything yet.

Well,... haven't got out there to do anything yet.... It's been over a 100 degrees here, the bump and her master have work to do, and the garage is always a fireball by the time I get home. I think I'm just gonna rebuild it; a new kit is about $25, and it seems like a new acc pump and a stiffer secondary spring, along with a float adj just might get'er done. Will post results. 8)
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by woods »

Set intital timing at 12 to 14 before you do anything else, then try it.
happycamper

Post by happycamper »

okie-dokie. Will try that first thing before I head out. Timing light still sitting out.
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by woods »

Might as well give it a try, it's free. Also...something free, try straight manifold vacuum on your distributor.