Rebuild on a carb?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

daddysgirl

Rebuild on a carb?

Post by daddysgirl »

considering attempting to rebuild my carb. he i fail no big deal cause i need a new one anyway but has anyone had exp doing it? would you do it again or choose to buy new or have someone else rebuild? any advice welcome
'69 F100 Camper Special~Dad's Old Truck
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Rebuild on a carb?

Post by bluef250 »

I assume that you have a stock 2 barrel. Rebuilding the 2100 is an easy task. Buy some carb cleaner and a rebuilding kit, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND STUDY THE DIAGRAM, disassemble, clean carb well, and reassemble according to the instructions that come with a kit. Not all parts in the kit will be used. Don't lose any little parts like the ball under nozzle bar. I like to have compressed air availble to blow out all the passages. The kits should be available at any parts store or on line. If the throttle plat shaft is loose then it is best to get a unit that is good.
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

In my opinion an off the shelf rebuilt unit would be a good option if you dont have a lot of mechanical know how.........the proper tools........and the money to waste rebuilding one that isnt going to work right with a worn out throttle shaft and / or bushings. Having said that there are a couple of things to remember. Rebuilding one isnt all of the problem. Knowing how to adjust one sometimes is. And it sometimes pays to remember that a carburetor is the most often blamed and very often NOT the cause of poor engine performance. Check all your basics first. then decide.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

TNIceWolf wrote:an off the shelf rebuilt unit would be a good option if you dont have a lot of mechanical know how
Like a $24.00 vs, $250 convenience. Knock yourself out.
daddysgirl

Post by daddysgirl »

Lol thanks guys. The 25 vs 250 was the reason i was considering a rebuild. i figure if i screw it up i am screwed either way and only wasted 25. if i manage to fix it then yea go me. yes its a 2 barrel. surely it cant be that bad esp since it comes with instructions. have any of you done it?
'69 F100 Camper Special~Dad's Old Truck
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Do it yourself. I've done mine twice for one reason or another. It's not that difficult and the experience is worth it. Get an egg carton for keeping track of the small parts. Also a bucket can of that carb cleaner with the basket in the can is a good investment. You'll use it to clean other stuff too. You want it CLEAN, inside and out. Wear gloves, that stuff is BAD! Like TNIceWolf said the hard part is adjusting and tuning it. A vacuum gauge is handy for that and takes the guess work out of it. Here's a good guideline....... http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/fixes/carb/ Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
69rangerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69rangerf100 »

i had to rebuild the holley 4160 that my dad had installed about 18 years ago in order to get the truck running right like everyone has said read the instructions and study the diagram it was actually verry easy and i had never touched a card before doing the rebuild
David

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today - James Dean

Daily Driver - 1998 Honda Accord
Wife's Ride - 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Project - My Dad's 1969 F100 Ranger 390 w/ 3spd manual coming soon PS, PB, A/C and alot of paint and body work - Miss you Dad
http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad208/69rangerf100/
mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mybros71 »

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... 0_carb.pdf

Check out this link for some step by step instructions. I would rebuild it, if it was me. You can't gain "know-how" whithout the "see-how".

Tony
2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
1962 Comet Custom (Wife's)
1971 F100 2wd Prerunner Project (Daughter's)
1971 F250 4wd "The Beast" (Son's)
2007 Toyota Tundra 4wd. (Credit Union's)
Seriously, the best truck I've ever owned, without exception.