Acceleration hesitation solved! A few more questions.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

FordRocket72

Acceleration hesitation solved! A few more questions.

Post by FordRocket72 »

Fordification is AWESOME! My newly acquired 1972 Ford F100 Ranger had a slight hesitation during acceleration. Members on Fordification suggested that I check the acceleration pump. Sure enough the acceleration pump was spewing out a noticeable about of fuel along the side of the plate. It was a stream of gasoline, enough to blind you for sure. Members also suggested I order a rebuild kit, its arriving tomorrow 8:30am at Kragen Auto Parts. Thanks guys. Now, I just have a few more questions. During removal of the carb I noticed two things, whats that hanging metal piece that I have my finger on in picture #2, and in picture #3, what is this piece that is attached to the carburetor and what is it suppose to connect to?

DirtyJim

Re: Acceleration hesitation solved! A few more questions.

Post by DirtyJim »

The long metal piece you are pointing to connects to the transmission...I think it kicks down the idle when you put the truck in drive. The long hose is the preheater for the choke. It should not have come off as shown....mine is welded to a bung in the exhaust manifold and you disconnect it from the carb. I would assume that needs to be connected for the choke to function properly.

The carb is not difficult to rebuild, but it is time consuming. Mine was dirty so I spent time cleaning parts as I took them off. Also, get yourself some kind of organized parts separator to put all the pieces in as you go. It will make re-assembly much easier.
DirtyJim

Post by DirtyJim »

I would also like to add a tip for the carb rebuild. If your engine runs ok as it is, I would make sure to count the turns on all the adjustment screws and when you reinstall them, be sure to turn them right back where you were. Carb settings can be a pain and it will help greatly if you put it all back to where it was in the beginning.

The linkage and connections around the choke housing are the most confusing part of the whole thing. I took pictures with my digital camera as I went along, and I reviewed the pics as I put everything back together....I would have been stuck a couple of times without that. I spent about 6 hours on the entire rebuild procedure.
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

The rod going down to your transmission is the kickdown linkage. That is what tells the transmission to downshift when you give it full throttle. It's basically your "passing gear".

Don't be afraid of the mixture adjustment screws. As for the initial settings for the mixture screws, turn them all the way in (lightly, so as not to damage them) and back them out approximately 2 turns. Once you have the engine running at operating temperature, use either a tachometer or vacuum gauge to adjust them. Turn them clockwise (in) until the idle speed (or vacuum reading) begins to drop. Then, back them out slowly until the idle speed (or vacuum reading again begins to drop. Then, turn them back in until the idle speed (or vacuum reading reaches its highest point. Reset the idle speed to specs using the idle stop screw (right next to the throttle linkage) and repeat the adjustment process.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I see TRS stuff...
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

in the last picture is the choke tube. it hooks to the passneger side manifold. it is probably rusted off like they all did. what you do is to drill out but not all the way through the old part of the tube in themanifold. then you either get a new choke tube or reinstert the old clean part of the choke tube.