302 Rebuild

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

McDays

302 Rebuild

Post by McDays »

I'm putting back together my 302 engine after rebuild. When I did insert the camshaft in the engine block it is playing in and out. Do I have to put any shim in the end of the block where the camshaft stops? If anybody cam help me I apreciate. Thanks.
M-100

Re: 302 Rebuild

Post by M-100 »

Did you forget the cam retainer?
JMcTurnan

Post by JMcTurnan »

There is a thrust plate also, check your end play. No it shouldn't really. If your talking about side to side or front to front, side to side cam bearings, front to front, you need your thrust plate torqued, check it for excessive where. Than put that bolt through the top timing sprocket, this pulls the cam foward, and tightens it up.
McDays

Post by McDays »

Well, I took everything apart and sent it to machine shop. They did replace the cam bearings. In the kit that I bought do not have the retainer. It's playing front to back. If it is facing front then it is in the right place but seens to me is going too much in.
McDays

Post by McDays »

I really don't know what is "... Than put that bolt through the top timing sprocket..." Could you explain to me, please.
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

The bolt that holds the timing gear to the cam shaft.

Did you install a camshaft thrust plate?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/ ... 0_0094.jpg

Example of a thrust plate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/ ... 0_0117.jpg

Example of "Than put that bolt through the top timing sprocket"
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
JMcTurnan

Post by JMcTurnan »

You have to have a thrust plate man, I know that for at least all small block fords. Never worked on anything else
McDays

Post by McDays »

Ok. I'm sorry. When I did install the camshaft and the thrust plate I figured out the it's playing front to back. It means that there is one clearence of 1/8". I didn't accomplish the install because of this. I'll try to do it tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
McDays

Post by McDays »

Well, I'm fine with the camshaft. Thanks to everyone who helped me. The engine block was honed and came to .030. After order one set of piston rings I figured out that they doesn't fit in the piston. Yes, the engine had been swaped and I didn't know it. After asking the previous owner he said it came from 86 or 88 Grand Marquis. After a lot of search I couldn't find any set that I can order with confidence. Can somebody help me.
OldRedFord
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by OldRedFord »

What engine did you order the rings for? Were the rings for a .030 larger bore?

What is the block casting letters and numbers on the side?
Tim

1972 F350 flatbed drw c6/390
1967 F600 project truck
McDays

Post by McDays »

The engine came from a 90's Grand Marquis but somebody did the piston replacement for pistons Sterling S60517P. After checking with the guy who did the honing in the block I figured out the right rings and I did order those Sealed Power E458X oversized 0.03. Now I'm waiting for it and I'll start putting back together. The numbers in the block are F1SE BB 13.
McDays

Post by McDays »

Now the engine is installed in the truck. Timing adjusted, carb adjusted. In idle the sound is smooth. BUT when I give gas the sound turns to the whorst possible and comes some strange vibration. Really I don't know what's happening. Can somebody help me.
McDays

Post by McDays »

When I did the torque in those piston rod caps in the engine I did it using one chart that was given to me where says 60-70 lbs. The machine shop guy told me that should be 25 psi. Can somebody help me to understand the difference between those measures?
BlueOvalDave

Post by BlueOvalDave »

stock 302 rod bolts can go 25-30 ft lbs. Arp studs or similar should be about 45 ft lbs .
The vibration has me thinking about the motor balancing. Is this a stroker kit? Most stroker kits are 28 oz imbalance and depending on the year 302,s can be either 50 oz or 28 oz imbalance. My Ford Racing parts book has the breakdown of the year range. Did you change the balancer or flexplate/flywheel? Did you have the reciprocating assembly balanced by a shop?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Prior to the rebuild, was this engine previously in the truck with the same flywheel and harmonic balancer?