radiator fit problem

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

7072f100

radiator fit problem

Post by 7072f100 »

hey everyone i have a 1970 f100 2wd originally came with a 302/3spd now i have a 69 360/C6 in it. ok so i bought a radiator for it standard 3 core and it wont fit :? do big block trucks and small block trucks have different core supports??? the problem is that the mounting flanges are at least 5to6 inches away from the core support. or are there brackets that im missing??? 2wd and 4wd radiators different ??? just learning about these cool trucks so any suggestions??? and this is the second radiator i bought 2 different manufatures too. thought the 1st was defective (flanges welded on wrong) not the case. thnks for any insight you guys have. :hmm:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: radiator fit problem

Post by fordman »

the fe and smallblock trucks had the same core support and opening size so the botl holes were in the same places. the 6 cyl coresupport had a smaller opening. by several inches. i dont know how much. the core size of your radiator should be 19z26 basiclly. for a fe enigne. compare the core size to this chart on lmctruck. this is the right chart fo rthe application you want to use. do you have pictures of yours? part number and maufacturer numbers from it? do you have pictures of your coresupport? 4wd and f350 radiators will be the same 19x26 or even thicker and maybe taller if you get a supercool radiator. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/t.aspx?Page=88
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the only thing i can think of after looking on that chart is they sold you one for a manual transmission truck. that core is smaller by several inches. because it doesnt have the extra use for a automatic transmission cooler. so no need for extra core to help cool the bottom tank.
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

fordman wrote:the only thing i can think of after looking on that chart is they sold you one for a manual transmission truck. that core is smaller by several inches. because it doesnt have the extra use for a automatic transmission cooler. so no need for extra core to help cool the bottom tank.
That wouldn't be the problem.

The footnote says that the manual tranny radiators have the cooler, but it's simply plugged.
7072f100 wrote: the problem is that the mounting flanges are at least 5to6 inches away from the core support. or are there brackets that im missing??? 2wd and 4wd radiators different ??? just learning about these cool trucks so any suggestions??? and this is the second radiator i bought 2 different manufatures too. thought the 1st was defective (flanges welded on wrong) not the case. thnks for any insight you guys have. :hmm:
They're actually listing the same radiator for all V8 2WD trucks from 66-72 as being the same. That same radiator is even listed for the 6-cylinder trucks in 69.

The 4WD trucks list a different model.

The correct radiator should have 2 mounting flanges on each side, one for the radiator to bolt to the core support, and one for the fan shroud.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
Brokenarrow
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Brokenarrow »

Maybe they sold you a radiator for a 6cyl truck?? :hmm: There is 5inches difference in the width of the two. One is roughly 23 1/2" and the other is 28 1/2" bolt-hole to bolt-hole. I know it's not relevant in your case, but the core support on a 6cyl truck is cutout to fit the narrow 6cyl radiator but the correct bolt-holes are there for the wider V8 radiator. So instead of changing the core support for a I6 to V8 swap you can simply cut the opening to "V8 specs".
'68 SWB f100, 401ci FE/C6, '68 Mustang fastback (restoration in progress)
2013 F150 KingRanch (ecoboost), '48 8N tractor

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
— John Wooden
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

one of those radiators on the site says its like 18 3/8x18 3/8. 43-3000 it says without oil cooler. it is for a 240 and 300 engine though. what i was really thinking when i saw that though. was that the core was smaller but the tanks may have been just as large as a regular radiator. but that isnt right either. they must have shipped him a 6 cyl radiator. thats all i can think of. measure your core and check the sizes on the link i put up. that will tell you what they sent you and what you need as far as core size.
JMcTurnan

Post by JMcTurnan »

I had to drill holes for my new radiator, but your saying the flanges that go you bolt through stick it out too far? Thats wierd my flanges are on the side of my radiator and dont add any distance.
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

:nopix:

:2cents:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Your truck originally would have come with a basic 2-core radiator. Trucks with the Super Cooling option (larger radiator) and/or 4x4's did have a different radiator, as well as a different core support with a different mounting style to support the larger radiator.

Here's a few comparison pics. Here's how your original radiator bolted right to the core support:

Here's another pic showing a different mounting style. The upper core support in this picture is a stock support from a '70 F100 with a 302. Notice how the mounting surface is basically flat...the radiator bolts right to the core. The lower support in this picture is from a dentside-era 4x4. See how there are standoffs on each side of the radiator opening that extend outward? The radiator mounting flanges would be on the opposite side and would bolt to these stand-offs.

As mentioned, the lower support in the pic is from a dentside 4x4 (a '75 F150 IIRC), but the bumpside core supports with Super Cooling and/or 4x4 have these same stand-offs to which the radiator is mounted. Here's a close-up:

To mount your new radiator to your existing core support, you'll have to find a 4x4 truck, or a 2WD with Super Cooling, and drill out the spotwelds holding the stand-offs to the core support to remove them, and then mount these to your existing core support.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I believe the opening in the Super-cooling core support is larger, also.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i don't think the super cool opening is any larger. the widest radiator is only 19 1/4 for our years of trucks. the 57-60 is wide by about an inch.
tommyp

Post by tommyp »

I know this is an old thread but maybe you guys are still looking in. Just to make sure I understand, is the 4x4 core support different to allow for an optional super cooling radiator? If that's not the reason, do you know why the 4x4 radiator mounting is different from the 2wd?

I'm asking because I'm putting a 1969 2wd F100 body on a 1970 4x4 F100 chassis. Both trucks are 360 c.i. manual. The radiator in my 2wd is identical in physical size to the radiator in my 4x4 donar truck, but the mounting configuration is different, as shown in your pictures. My plan is to use the 2wd radiator on the 2wd core support on the 4x4 chassis. Can you think of any problems with that?

Thanks
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

I recall reading somewhere, likely here, that the 4WD radiator mounting flange on the core support is designed to position the radiator at a slight downward angle to match the angle of the drivetrain, which differs between the 4WD and 2WD trucks.

The frame crossmembers differ on 4WD and 2WD chassis, as does the oil pan sump location, and, therefore, the oil pump pickup tube.
Last edited by 71Fe2O3 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

One of the best explanations of radiator/core support difference I've read. https://fordification.com/forum/viewtop ... 3fd80a8c92
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

This might explain the problem I had with a replacement radiator. I have a 2WD F250 Camper Special with an auto trans. I bought a new radiator, and it had the mounting flanges on the BACK of the radiator, not the front! I was able to use it, but needed stand-offs to bolt it to the radiator support. I must have bought the Super-Cooling version, which used the rear flange for mounting! D'oh!
light bulb.png
Joseph
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.