390 on Dyno (video)

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

sport71
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: 390 on Dyno (video)

Post by sport71 »

Dragon, I'll leave the porting to the experts. I would hate to over cut through the wall.

Hotrod, I have a 2" spacer so do you think that would be to tall?

The timming is at 40 set at 3000 RPM not sure about the vacume port off. I think that the marker might be wrong, but I don't know.

PS you may have to make marks out there at 38 on the balancer.
Last marks you will have will be 30

I don't know how that works. I think I understand about the wall time. Does that mean the wall time is 38 on the balancer? What about last marks will be 30?

I hope this doesn't frustrate you, it's just that I dropped out in 10th grade..
Those who do not learn the lessons of history, are doomed to repeat it.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

The damper only reads to 30. You can take some tape and lay it over the 30 and below marks from 30 to 20. copy the marks onto the tape and then move tape up so you have 5 more above 30 and mark the balancer with paint so now you read to 40.

Take that 2 inch spacer out the manifold is doing the work to 6500 and 2 inches boosted you to almost 9000 and be careful some spacers cause so much restriction from undersized rough bores that it kills the engine.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

If I've found the correct one, that cam only has 216 degrees at .050, and calls for a stock converter.

Put a bigger dual pattern cam in it. :2cents:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
troublemaker427

Post by troublemaker427 »

Ok, I mostly lurk here but figured I post with some suggestions and comments.

1.Someone mentioned the Performer RPM wasn't a good intake for your combo. Wrong, this intake is one of the best for a mild to moderate built FE. It is a dual plane and works well on the street or track. I have one on my 390 Galaxie.

2. Get rid of that air cleaner and put a good 14" x 3" open elemnet air cleaner on it. That type you have is very restrictive and it has been proven in dyno tests.

3.Set your timing at 38 deg. at full advance. I think 40 is to much for your mild combination.

4. What did you rev it to? I would think yours would make max hp. at 5,500 rpm or so.

5. Do your dyno pull in drive/high gear. 2nd. gear is not 1 to 1 so you will not get a accurate reading with the transmission multiplication.

6.Find a dyno that has a air/fuel monitior on it. I bet your carb could need a jet change depending on what the A/F reading is.

A C6 also eats horsepower. If your truck was a stick or even a C4 you would see a higher reading. Lots of drag in a C6 but they are strong.

Hope this helps.
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker2
'66 Ford Fairlane 427 C-4 ,AA/NSS
9:29@142
'64 Ford Galaxie 500XL
390-330h.p. 4spd.
'66 Ford F-100
390-C-6
hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hotrodfeguy »

Well what do you have to loose on the spacer. I know Jay Brown on the other forum did tests and depending on tune sometimes the 4 hole and sometimes open works better. All depends on combination.

I agree that cam is a touch weak. I like the Lunati 30507 with the stall speed you have.

And yes as mentioned just mark off farther out on the balancer and end time for 38 degrees. You could be a tick out too far with 40. Play around with it while its od the dyno and tune it in :0) Make a few pulls and see what it likes best.

And I agree with as mentioned wind her up higher and get rid of that air cleaner for the dyno at least. Hell with that air cleaner you would be better without one.

That is one beautiful truck :thup:
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

sport71 wrote:Great info guys,

I think it should have been run in 3rd gear not in 2nd, also it was only run to 5500 and not 6000.

Next time I take it to the dyno I will have the intake and heads ported to match, how hard could that be? I've heard tha the exaust ports have a hump on these heads that can be removed for better flow, plus I'll take the heads to get the bowls ported to a good speed shop.

As for the Headman Elite headers, what is tunning? I'm using 3" full exaust and 50's flowmasters..

I will also be using premium fuel from now on..

The compression is probably low (we really need to know to answer your question).
How can I check the compretion?

The trans has 2500 stall feels good to me with that stall..

246HP at the rear wheels isn't bad.. everybody thinks they have 400 plus, until a dyno run(that's for sure)

I will have to agree with you all on the heads. I can get a little bit more out of them with the porting.

Also I'll see if I can get the read out on my run..

You heard wrong. I sacrificed a set of heads to see how far they would go and you hit a water jacket long before that hump is all the way down. I did smooth it out on mine, but you better go easy on it or you're gonna have problems.
troublemaker427

Post by troublemaker427 »

I'd save up a few bucks and buy a set of Edelbrock heads before I'd spend much money in your current heads. They will be a nice improvement right out of the box and the springs should work fine with your current cam.
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker2
'66 Ford Fairlane 427 C-4 ,AA/NSS
9:29@142
'64 Ford Galaxie 500XL
390-330h.p. 4spd.
'66 Ford F-100
390-C-6
hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hotrodfeguy »

Food for thought and good reading Three very long reads on intakes and man FE's really like to have a good intake. Granted these are flywheel numbers but still apply.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/me ... ke+Comparo

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/me ... eport+%231

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/me ... eport+%232
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0
ximy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ximy »

troublemaker427 wrote:Ok, I mostly lurk here but figured I post with some suggestions and comments.

1.Someone mentioned the Performer RPM wasn't a good intake for your combo. Wrong, this intake is one of the best for a mild to moderate built FE. It is a dual plane and works well on the street or track. I have one on my 390 Galaxie.

4. What did you rev it to? I would think yours would make max hp. at 5,500 rpm or so.

Hope this helps.
He's right on the manifold.. I thought the performer was single plane... I was thinking of the streetmaster intake.

Also, (to repeat) you can make a bunch of power with stock heads and a bit larger cam to offset the head limitations. I wouldn't think to go over 5500 rpm because HP/torque will no doubt fall before that point and you will have oiling issues, valve float, and additional stresses to a non-blueprinted motor that would need major upgrading in oil passages, and rocker arm & shaft upgrades, connecting rod work, etc... Things not necessary to make the FE scream.
1967 f250 428
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

We are all guessing here without the engine's true specifications.

If i found the right cam, it is making about all it is going to make without a cam upgrade, so working on the heads would be an exercise in futility. Changing the cam might require a compression upgrade...

:2cents:
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hotrodfeguy »

I agree it should have 390 2V car pistons in it. cause if it has 410/390 truck piston its prolly 8:1 compression and would explain some of the smaller numbers. My take on this from the top is

1. you have a good intake
2. You have a good carb
3. good head W/CJ valves for a street truck application, HEADS can be overcome a bit with a more agressive cam.

I would start off with the basics and maybe get a hour of Dyno time and dial it in a bit. Start with timming and then jetting. And for God sake get rid of that air cleaner. If you like the looks of it thats cool but pull it off at the dyno runs at least. Then also a 1" 4 hole spacer under the carb sounds like the RPM intake likes that. And look at the tach and make sure your at 5500 to me sounded short of 5500 but hard to tell from a video clip. Even on that dyno it should pull a real world 350 FT LBS like nothing they were flywheel rated at 400+ factory
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0
sport71
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by sport71 »

I'll change the air filter, and drop the carb spacer 1"..

I have the ATI super damper with the degrees all around. I wonder if sea level has any thing to do with the timing?, because it seems to run good at 40 with no problems.

The dyno hooked up a wire with something that looked like a microphone to the tail pipe, and got a reading to change the front jets.

When port match intake and heads? I'll put a bigger dual pattern cam in it, because I still need to do that no matter what.

It does have 390 crank and 390 sealed power pistons, so that means the compretion would be low? What type of pistons would be needed to get more compretion?

The First Great FE Intake Comparo was a great and detailed post. I'll stick to the RPM.
Those who do not learn the lessons of history, are doomed to repeat it.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

sport71 wrote:It does have 390 crank and 390 sealed power pistons, so that means the compression would be low? What type of pistons would be needed to get more compression?
Do you know which Sealed Power Pistons? Forged, Cast or Hyper? Sealed Power could be most any thing from stock truck pistons (~8.0:1) to L2291F Speed Pro (~9.5:1). So it might not be too bad.
Robert

hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hotrodfeguy »

Yea do you have a part number or something to go by so we can figure out what you have for Compression. Maybe from your build reciepts?
Yes you have one of the best intakes out there. What direction did the dyno tell you to go on the jetting? And yes 37-38 degrees total is the sweet spot :0)
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

sport71 wrote:I'll change the air filter, and drop the carb spacer 1"..

The dyno hooked up a wire with something that looked like a microphone to the tail pipe, and got a reading to change the front jets.

When port match intake and heads? I'll put a bigger dual pattern cam in it, because I still need to do that no matter what.
Port match the manifold anytime you want it never hurts.

The dyno guys were use an EGO sensor to see that you were jetted right instead of too lean or rich.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test