FE offroad race motor!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

theskytoucher
Preferred User
Preferred User

FE offroad race motor!

Post by theskytoucher »

OK guys i know this stuff has been gone over before but i want input from those whom have built FE's about what you think i should do to build a reliable yet powerful fe. This will be going into a offroad race truck! Im starting with what i believe is a bone stock 360 block! And money isnt really an issue so tell me your build list!
Thanks guys!
-Troy-

1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4
1976 Ford F-150 4x4

Quando Omni Flunkus Mortadi
When all else Fails Play Dead
Doug F
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: FE offroad race motor!

Post by Doug F »

If I was going there, I sure wouldn't start with a 360 block.

Build a 460 with aluminum heads, sure it is a little heavier, but the bottom end can take the abuse like a cross-bolted 427 (which you can't find, or afford!)
Doug F
FALLOUT Grafix
Denver, CO

1967 F100 4wd 4spd

http://www.pinheadlounge.com/Pinecone
https://www.facebook.com/PineconeDesign
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: FE offroad race motor!

Post by 1971ford »

oooo another interested offroader? :D Check out the prerunner thread in the 4x4 section and post pics! :D
Build the 360 into a 390 and start adding goodies :thup: If you are looking for torque, check out my 390 torque build in the engine section. I'd just turn it into a 390, replace everything with new parts, mild cam, performer intake, holley 600 or similiar, im not sure how much power you are looking to get though.
Doug, the weight difference isn't too incredible but when you are talking about offroad racing you need to think a little more about the weight that you are putting on the front with a 460. If you were to just drop a 460 in without a lot of weight in the rear of the bed, you will be very nose heavy. That's why i matched the weight of my 429 up front with a 32 gallon fuel cell, jack , and two spares in the very rear of my bed.
-Ryan