Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Xfe-390

Re: Any ideas what this would have been used for? FE Gurus

Post by Xfe-390 »

Got some casting numbers for you....

D5TE-9425-SA intake manifold
D4TE-1 block (interwebs say 330ci??)
C7TE-C heads (I'm guessing the last letter is a C)

Some pics of the exhaust manifold....

Water pump.....looks like it has an extra outlet for something, which has been blocked off

And this thing....it links up the to linkage on the carb, :9 I'm guessing it's the governor setup....
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Interesting distributor (tach drive?) and Water Pump...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

It's a FT, The water pump being flat where it bolts on and the 2 center bolts on the exhaust manifold are FT.

If you measure the stroke through the spark plug hole you can tell if its a 361 or a 391.

Both engines have a forged steel crank.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

FT includes 330 as well I believe...

I would not put a ton of stock in casting numbers found on the net = particularly for something not originally in a road going vehicle. Little extra credit if it was from one of the frequent posters on the FE forum.
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Xfe-390

Post by Xfe-390 »

Thanks for the replies...I guess if it's a FT I'm going to have to do my research and work out if it will go in my truck or not.

I know the casting numbers aren't really a solid thing to go off but I thought some might be interested.
Hopefully I can get some shed time today and measure the stroke...stay tuned and I'll report back
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yep, looks a lot like an FT and they are cousins to the FE but not clones. Surprised you haven't popped a spark plug out and checked the stroke. Industrial could be anything.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Ren

Post by Ren »

I can immediately think of four issues regarding the notion of using that engine in a road going vehicle.
Not trying to crap on your idea. Just being practical. To myself, anyways.
Xfe-390

Post by Xfe-390 »

Ranchero50 wrote:Yep, looks a lot like an FT and they are cousins to the FE but not clones. Surprised you haven't popped a spark plug out and checked the stroke. Industrial could be anything.
Shed time has been a bit hard to find this break back from work, but I'll definitely pull some plugs and check the stroke before I go back to work.
Ren wrote:I can immediately think of four issues regarding the notion of using that engine in a road going vehicle.
Not trying to crap on your idea. Just being practical. To myself, anyways.
Hey Ren, I've been doing some research but I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Basically the FE in my truck requires a rebuild, so I got this pretty cheap in the hopes of using it while I save for the motor to get built....use it to keep the truck driveable....but if that's not possible, then I'll have to find a plan B
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I would try to get it running and if not, hit up plan B. I know the distributor is different FE vs FT and I think you can put your FE 2bb on the FT. Measure the bolt pattern for the flywheel and check the motor mounts. Exhaust is going to be interesting as I don't think the manifolds swap.

The oil pump drive is a lot larger on the FT's and a FE won't drive it. I do remember that from working on my buddy's '72 F600 wrecker.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Xfe-390

Post by Xfe-390 »

Ranchero50 wrote:I would try to get it running and if not, hit up plan B. I know the distributor is different FE vs FT and I think you can put your FE 2bb on the FT. Measure the bolt pattern for the flywheel and check the motor mounts. Exhaust is going to be interesting as I don't think the manifolds swap.

The oil pump drive is a lot larger on the FT's and a FE won't drive it. I do remember that from working on my buddy's '72 F600 wrecker.
The FT runs already, I haven't had it running for long because the carb leaks fuel.
The truck has a C6 in it if that makes it easier or harder
Hopefully get to throw some spanners at it tomorrow
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

To me, the C6 is a "don't care." I have a C6 behind my 352FE. Not sure if the bolt pattern is the same between an FE and an FT.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Xfe-390

Post by Xfe-390 »

colnago wrote:To me, the C6 is a "don't care." I have a C6 behind my 352FE. Not sure if the bolt pattern is the same between an FE and an FT.

Joseph
Yeah that's what I meant, not sure if they're same bolt pattern or not for gearbox
Xfe-390

Post by Xfe-390 »

I measured the stroke 3.301 first go, then 3.343 second go pretty sure i did it correctly. TDC on 1, 1&4 plugs out, mark dowel, then measure the difference.

Quick Google says it's a 332ci FE :?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

At least here in the US you can get a bushing for the block that allows the use of an FE distributor and oil pump.

You might want to post this over on the FE Forum:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182

There are guys over here that live this stuff...
Robert

Ren

Post by Ren »

Agreed. Post your concerns on an FE/FT forum. I think that this is a project that appears easy, but will be anything other. Chances are you'll find someone who has done this before. That is, if he hasn't been carted away to an asylum.

If you're handy and have time, money, tools, a good shop space, sober friends, patience, no wife or kids...

No vacuum advance on the distributor. This means that the carb is meant to run at idle and full throttle only. Probably set to 3600 rpm. Hopefully a streetable carb will bolt on. If not, find another intake manifold.
The exhaust manifolds are an obvious issue.
Who knows if your transmission will bolt to it.
The oil pan looks deep and may end up resting upon the front axle.
:cry: :cuss: :hn: