Parts for a Tune Up/Part Identification

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

vanleer4

Parts for a Tune Up/Part Identification

Post by vanleer4 »

Hello Everyone,

Goanna be doing a tune up soon on my 72 F-250 Camper Special 360 Automatic. I ask on each forum on my other classics, what's the best bet for plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, and wires. I am looking to continue to make it a daily driver and not a hot rod.

I have a little bit of credit through Autozone and cant pass up on free parts. Thanks.

-To have a better idea on engine performance as of now, I have notice a delay in start, (winds up a little to much before turning over), has a vacuum leak or fuel delivery issue (will take care of that later, carb tune or fuel pump when driving faster than 65mph) and lastly when hitting the accelerator pedal the engine hesitates before going (sounds like a gurgling noise/air intake). Those are the few problems I have notice when driving this old girl.

- (pictures attached Below), First Picture Ford, Second Chevelle) This part here I cant figure out the name (black piece that goes from header area to carburetor) , one of the other owners must have taking it off or switched out carbs.

Thank you for your time
Van Leer4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Van Leer4
Ford F-250 Camper Special
1968 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
1967 Chevrolet C20
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Parts for a Tune Up/Part Identification

Post by 1972hiboy »

vanleer4 wrote:Hello Everyone,

Goanna be doing a tune up soon on my 72 F-250 Camper Special 360 Automatic. I ask on each forum on my other classics, what's the best bet for plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, and wires. I am looking to continue to make it a daily driver and not a hot rod.

I have a little bit of credit through Autozone and cant pass up on free parts. Thanks.

-To have a better idea on engine performance as of now, I have notice a delay in start, (winds up a little to much before turning over), has a vacuum leak or fuel delivery issue (will take care of that later, carb tune or fuel pump when driving faster than 65mph) and lastly when hitting the accelerator pedal the engine hesitates before going (sounds like a gurgling noise/air intake). Those are the few problems I have notice when driving this old girl.

- (pictures attached Below), First Picture Ford, Second Chevelle) This part here I cant figure out the name (black piece that goes from header area to carburetor) , one of the other owners must have taking it off or switched out carbs.

Thank you for your time
Van Leer4
Typically I try to use motorcraft parts whenever I can. If you are still running points and condeser ignition DO NOT buy those new from the store. New condensers have serious quality control issues. I recomend leaving in your old one or finding a new old stock one in the box,
- your cold start sounds fuel related and based upon your description of hesitation upon an off idle transition, I would speculate you have a accel pump circuit fault. I would recomend a carburetor rebuild with a new kit and place back onto the truck, verify choke operation and re-test.

- The tube you are missing is the hot air riser for the thermostatic ait cleaner assembly. This pipe allows hot air off the exhaust manifold to come up and be ingestion by the induction system promoting faster warm up times and smooth operation at low temps. Then when the heated air sufficiently warms up a thermostatic spring under the air snorkel it shuts a diverter valve in the air cleaner snorkel to start bringing in under hood ambient air. If you still have a factory air cleaner on your truck then i would recomend finding and replacing this tube to restore the proper operation of your intake system. Hope this helps
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
vanleer4

Post by vanleer4 »

Thanks for the information. Yeah didn't even think of points snd condensor, I assume since it was over 1970 it would have cap and rotor, I'll have to check.
And hot air riser I would have to go back stock it appears to be an aftermarket carb, or remove the intake on manifold.
Thanks for the info
Van Leer
Van Leer4
1967 Chevrolet C20
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

vanleer4 wrote:Thanks for the information. Yeah didn't even think of points snd condensor, I assume since it was over 1970 it would have cap and rotor, I'll have to check.
And hot air riser I would have to go back stock it appears to be an aftermarket carb, or remove the intake on manifold.
Thanks for the info
Van Leer

If you already have an aftermarket intake, carb and air cleaner then I wouldnt about it much. It would make more of a difference if you still had the original air cleaner.

Edit. electronic ignition didnt start for ford trucks until 74' if your truck hasnt been converted to electronic ignition then it prob still has points. Ive had ok-good luck with aftermarket points sets but ive had horrible experience with new condensers.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
vanleer4

Post by vanleer4 »

Ok got all the parts in now its time to start with the work. Does anyone know the points gab and spark plug gab? The plugs are oem motorcraft copper. Its for a 360
Thanks
Van Leer4
1967 Chevrolet C20