Another FE question.....

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

70f10rat

Another FE question.....

Post by 70f10rat »

Ok been awhile, but I have a '72 truck 390 tore down on the engine stand awaiting machining.
But last week I purchased a supposed running 390 2bbl out of a 68' stang? The date on the block holds true to yr, but this is the second FE I have without a block cast #.
It has the 14 bolt heads, 390 gt? 428 pi?

Just wondering what bellhousing I will need? Has the column shifted 3 spd. So will any FE/toploader bellhousing work?
And I obviously wanna go to 4bbl, but I'm gonna plug the engine in and get it fired before I go messing with possibly a stuck dizzy etc......
It has a clutch on it now, so the block plate should be ok, don't they differ from auto to manual?

One more ?, since the FE sits back farther than the 240, the driveshaft has to be shorter? Or is it just the sixers length?

Thanks! Sean
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Another FE question.....

Post by tnlprt »

No block casting numbers are NO big deal

14 bolt heads are for shock tower cars......other than the exhaust bolt pattern no difference from a regular 8 bolt head..........You will have 2 bolts on each side that will not line up if you use 8 bolt headers

The bellhousing you need depends on the length of the input shaft of the trans

Auto and manual block plates are the same

You are on your own on the drive shaft length
70f10rat

Post by 70f10rat »

I can't find anything on shaft specific bellhousing? Toploaders a toploader .... Only dif ive seen is shaft diameter?
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

If you think a top loader is just a top loader you might want to do a little research on them

I think there are over 140 different part numbers on complete trans

Maybe this will help.....http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-for ... stion.html
70f10rat

Post by 70f10rat »

Well then obviously the shaft diameter won't work, the engine had, supposedly the BW t10... Instead of tracking a bell, I'll pull em and replace with a 4 spd toploader. Kinda wanted the column shift, and didn't wanna cut a hole in the floor. But don't wanna trash the trans... Or get into swapping shafts, as iam wanting to use drivetrain in something else down the road...
hotrodfeguy
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hotrodfeguy »

Well you can kinda cheat. If you use the 6cyl clutch disc to fit that old trans input shaft. And the FE bell housing it should work out. I had parted out a bumpside last year a guy did this pulled a 6 and installed a FE just like your looking at doing. I was kinda amazed as the rear end prolly would not have held up.
1972 F-250 4X4 390
1999 F-350 7.3 PS 4X4
1996 Ford ranger 3.0