Crank pulley - remove crank bolt?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Crank pulley - remove crank bolt?

Post by patrickdotryan »

Hi all, I just had my 390 rebuilt and the builder left the pulleys off the crank (to balance it I assume). There are three threaded bolt holes for the pulleys but it looks like I need to take out the main crank bolt to put the pulleys back on. Is there anything to watch for here, Or can I just remove that main bolt, slide the pulleys on and bolt it back up? Do I need a very specific torque to bolt it back on? Not sure how it works or if that bolt affects the crank shaft.

Just for more info, before disassembly, closest to the motor I had one lightweight, large sort of steel pulley that drove the water pump and alternator and then a triple cast iron pulley with one large pulley and two small ones. The large (2nd closets to motor after the single one above) was driving nothing, the next one (small) drove the power steering and the front/4th one drove the dealer fitted a/c. I have removed the a/c but was just planning on putting everything back the same because it worked.

Any help on how to out it back is really needed!

Thanks. Patrick
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
390 (was a 360), C6 Auto, Dana 60
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Crank pulley - remove crank bolt?

Post by tnlprt »

70 to 90 torque on the center bolt
Remove it and the washer install the pullies and put the center bolt back in with the washer installed
duaneo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by duaneo »

That washer is key. I broke a puller set trying to pull the balancer with the washer still glued on with guck.

:)

Cheers,
Duane
1971 F100 - Ugly on the outside, but purty under the hood...
1968 Chevrolet Impala - Family car since 1970, My car since I was 16, in need of bodywork/paint, but otherwise straight.
2004 Mini Cooper S - Daily driver and grown up go-kart
patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

Thanks. By "washer" do you mean the very large spacer looking thing that's directly behind the crank nut? When I look at the inside of the still dirty pulley it only looks like there was a nut on that pulley for the last 40 years. But if that spacer was behind the pulley it wouldn't sit flat.
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

Got it, thank you. That's the washer that looked like a spacer. Makes sense now. Another question. I thought my builder "lost" the three pulley bolts but as I search images online it looks like those are castle or castleated bolts (not sure of terminology)? Does this mean they're one time use so he discarded them so I wouldn't re-use them? Does anyone have the specs of those bolts? Thanks again. Patrick.
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

Ok, I took the crankshaft bolt off and it doesn't fit. The single (maybe aftermarket?) pulley that goes closest to the motor slips over the main crank bolt head and just has three holes in it so no problem there.

The 3 sheave pulley that would go on next has a male flange that protrudes toward the motor and looks like it should fit inside the female hole in the harmonic balancer. But it's just a little too wide and it just rocks back and forth and never sits flat. No clue why that is as I am pretty sure my builder didn't replace the balancer and these parts were all together before.

Given that I have a 390 with just power steer I think I only need a 2 sheave pulley and my current set up has four sheaves/grooves. I'm going to start a new thread to see if I can find the correct pulley but I would still like to know about the slotted or castle bolts if anyone knows about those.

Or if anyone else has thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Patrick
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

The bolts are multi use

in other words use them over and over
patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

Thanks Tnlprt. Those bolts are just missing. Do you know what that style is called with the castle style head?
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Probably the same bolt that bolts the alternator bracket on the front of the engine
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
patrickdotryan
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by patrickdotryan »

Closing the loop on this one also for those searching. The bolts on the front pulley and many other locations subject to vibration are called "place bolts" or sometimes "place head bolts". The head has that castle or castellated profile so that when torqued down the little castle parts flex like claws and keep the bolt under tension so they won't vibrate free.

If you Google place bolts you'll find them available.

Patrick
1971 F250 Custom
Camper Special
Prairie Yellow