best way to drop a full gas tank..?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

hedz
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

best way to drop a full gas tank..?

Post by hedz »

every time i've had to replace a bad fuel sending unit or a fuel pump i've never had hardly any gas in the tank. well after i filled up the primary tank on the f250 the fuel pump immediately went bad. it weighs a ton with all that gas in there. i tried to siphon it with a hose and my lung power into a gas can and couldn't manage to get it to work. is there a handy cheap tool that makes siphoning the gas easy?
duaneo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: best way to drop a full gas tank..?

Post by duaneo »

First, I'd suggest keeping your lungs out of the loop. Gasoline and lungs don't get along well.

If you have a harbor freight nearby, I'd check there for a fuel capable manual pump. I think I got this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use- ... 66418.html

only $7!

Second, do a little youtubing for siphoning. I especially like the idea of a check valve at the end of a hose. Pretty slick and easy.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Duane
1971 F100 - Ugly on the outside, but purty under the hood...
1968 Chevrolet Impala - Family car since 1970, My car since I was 16, in need of bodywork/paint, but otherwise straight.
2004 Mini Cooper S - Daily driver and grown up go-kart
tqwrench

Post by tqwrench »

I've been down this road a few times. I tried those drill operated pumps and they crapped out pretty quickly, however that was pumping diesel fuel. I wouldn't go near gasoline with one of those. Diesel isn't volatile, it's like pumping thinned out salad oil.

When I had to drop the tank on my bump, I bought a hand operated crank style pump from Ace hardware and was very pleased with it. Patience is the key. I pulled the fuel hose off the frame rail near the fuel pump and pumped it from there into 5 gallon cans I kept from when I bought varsol for my solvent tank. That pump has a nifty little feature where you can pump it with the crank, then go 1/4 turn back and it will siphon on it's own. I kicked it off by pumping it, then cranked it back 1/4 turn and went about cleaning up around the garage. It took about 15 mins to fill a 5 gallon can.
1969 F-250 390 Camper Special
Candy Apple Red/Wimbledon White
dbarker
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dbarker »

go to atwoods or any other farm store.. buy a hand crank fuel pump (you can even get a nifty fuel nozzle like at the gas pump! then empty your tank into an appropriate container (or 5)
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Try a siphon blow gun . once it starts flowing unplug the gun and let flow on its own.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/uploads/Pages_2-6.pdf
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Use a smaller hose it is easier to siphon

First time I have heard of a bump having a fuel pump in the tank
hedz
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hedz »

i watched many of the youtube videos on siphoning and as much as id like to rely on youtube videos they aren't worth nearly as much as the 2 cents from each of you here. i work at a ace affiliated shop so i'll check our system and see what i can order from them and i will swing by harbor freight. i'm not sure where the nearest farm supply store is. i know of several but they are much farther out of town than i can afford time for. i actually have a transfer tank in the bed with a hand crank but i have never tested it and don't want to ruin good gasoline.

it's a 91 f250. that's why the pump is in the tank. it actually has 2 tanks under the bed plus the transfer on top of the bed. the plan is to try to siphon this gas out of the primary, get it into the secondary whos pump sounds like it's in great shape, and drive it home so i can start turning wrenches. thank you for all of your advice. i think i've got some great direction to get this done.
sykanr0ng

Post by sykanr0ng »

Have you considered using something like a motorcycle jack under the tank?

Maybe with a few blocks to level it if needed?
It would be much easier to pump out the gas directly instead of through the fill neck.
... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation/authenticity...
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Why not just go buy enough gas to put in the other tank to get home

In my Experience I have found it is easier and a whole lot less messy to pull the bed when changing fuel pumps

It is only 6/8 bolts and 1 wire plug
hedz
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hedz »

my father just so happened to loan me a neat little marine pump designed to siphon gas that i hooked up to a car battery. simply ran the hose from the first tank to the 2nd. gave him 5 gallons of gas in a gas can for his troubles :thup: i'll drop the tank asap. i really would like to add a motorcycle jack to my arsenal of tools
sykanr0ng

Post by sykanr0ng »

What you said about the marine pump reminded me of a former friend that had an inline electric fuel pump with a couple of jumper wires and a couple hoses that he kept just for siphoning.
I think a set-up like that would be a good addition to the toolbox.
... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation/authenticity...
hedz
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by hedz »

ok here is a picture of the marine pump which i highly recommend. he bought it at a very rural napa store so you may not be able to get it at regular napas. i don't know.

here is the fuel tank dangling. they gave me the wrong pump. picking up the correct one wednsday hopefully.

2nd pump went out today so i just parked the beast and got to work.