Carburetor spitting fuel

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

HomesteadTruck

Carburetor spitting fuel

Post by HomesteadTruck »

I'm new to the forum realm. Tried doing a search with no avail. I recently bought a 1967 Ford F100 300/4.9l. Old carb float was stuck and didn't feel like a rebuild so I bought new. New carb sprays fine mist if fuel out the top.
Did not have the problem with old carb but was bottle feed due to vanish in tank.

Is it carb adjustment related or too much fuel pressure. Looks like original fuel pump.

Thanks in advance for any help
chad67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Carburetor spitting fuel

Post by chad67 »

If you could show the exact spot on the carb where the fuel is coming out, it will help us diagnose the issue. The fuel should only be pressurized as it travels from the fuel pump to the needle so if it is spraying under pressure, you need to get that fixed PRONTO! Without seeing it, the description of a fine mist sounds like maybe a leak at the fuel line or an inlet fitting. Post up some pics and we'll try to help.
1967 F100 SWB
1991 Thunderbird 5.0 with fully ported gt40 heads, cobra intake (also ported) and a trickflow stage 2 cam, manual steering, and custom 3" exhaust
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

The fuel is also pressurized from the Accelerator pump when you step down on the gas

I am assuming that the fine spray is visible when the air cleaner is off and you tap the accelerator

Or does it have the fine mist all the time
HomesteadTruck

Post by HomesteadTruck »

Yes, air filter housing is off. It fine visible mist all the time. I will post a picture or video once the sun rises.

Mist comes from small orfice on bottom side slightly left to small silver pin in picture at idle but seems to be less when idle faster.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Take your old carb apart

see where that orifice goes to with carb cleaner or brake clean use the straw to direct the spray thru it

It might help you to figure out why you have a fine mist when the truck is running