Cross Country Drive Prep for '68 F250 Camper Special

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

SaraPeg

Cross Country Drive Prep for '68 F250 Camper Special

Post by SaraPeg »

Hi everyone,

I've been a follower/lurker for awhile...thanks for all the great info on here, and it's great to see so many others into their old Ford trucks!......and now I finally have a question and situation that I'd like a little feedback and maybe encouragement on...So I'll try to keep this short, and thanks a million in advance to anyone who is willing to share info with me..

So I'm about to move from Northwestern Montana to Pennsylvania. I have my truck, a car, and a motorcycle to get over there.

Truck is a 1968 F250 Camper Special Custom Cab, 360 V8 Automatic 2wd. Picture is at the bottom =D

My plan is to throw my bike in the back of the truck (it's a light cruiser...weighs about 300lbs wet), and put a tow dolly on the back and tow my car (little Ford focus). My only concern is that I'm overestimating my truck and I'm going to end up in the middle of the Dakotas with no cell reception and an exploded truck.

I bought the truck a few months ago after shopping for the right one for years. Since then I've changed the oil, air filter, two new tires, did a little bit of rewiring, new oil pressure and temperature sending units, carb cleaning and adjustment...I think that's it. The guy I bought it from said that he had it for a year and only drove it about 1k miles total, but never had an issue with it.

He said he would check the transmission fluid and once in awhile it would be a bit low so he would top it off. I'm not sure if that's a bad sign, or completely normal. I'm considering having the fluid changed out but don't know how necessary/important that is right now..but I'm leaning towards it's important.

I have a list here of things that my buddy said I should check on it, with everything I've already done in bold font. I guess I wanted peoples opinions as to two things:

1. Am I being an idiot by considering driving my old babe 2500 miles while towing..? and

2. This list....Is there anything on it that should NOT be touched, or is there something huge that has been left out..?

Thanks, guys...

1. change and/or top off all fluids
oil/oil filter
coolant
• transmission fluid ( check it while hot in park after riding around for about 20 minutes )
• brake fluid ( dot 3 I believe. Should be clear to light gold colored, if not change it )
• power steering fluid ( if applicable)
• washer fluid
2. inspect coolant hoses for cracks or bulges
• located at the top and bottom of the radiator in the front of the truck
• replace thermostat ( this is the gate that opens to let coolant into your engine. The older the thermostat, the less the gate opens)
3. Replace spark plugs and spark plug wires.
• make sure the spark gap is correct
• take note of/double check the arrangement (firing order) of the spark plug wires. Use tape to label them, it helps.
4. Inspect and/or replace belts
• long miles at high heat tend to stretch belts and if they're already worn out they will surely break
• excellent idea to bring extra belts along just incase
5. Replace fuel filter and air filter
• the easier it is for your truck to breath and move fuel, the less strain it puts on the motor
6. Check all fuses, bulbs, and headlights
• long hours at high battery use may heat up your system and expose weak electrical parts so it's best to keep extras with you
7. Replace or test your battery to make sure it's 100%
• most pep boys or auto stores will test your battery and alternator for free if you ask them
• check your terminals for corrosion and tightness

8. Replace windshield wipers
• silly I know however you don't want to be stuck blind in Oklahoma in a torrential downpour with everything you own

9. Check the tread on your tires
10. Check and/or replace your PCV valve
• it's a simple little plastic piece that let's your engine breathe properly by allowing air in the system
11. Check and/or replace your brakes if needed.
• inspect the brake lines and rotors for cracks or uneven wear
You happen to be in luck because your truck is one of the easiest to work on and trouble shoot. There are a few additives that you can put in your fuel tank and oil that help clean and condition it so tell me when you're at the store.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranchero50

Re: Cross Country Drive Prep for '68 F250 Camper Special

Post by Ranchero50 »

Welcome to the site.

Some advice from a guy who drove a '68 Fairlane from Orlando to MD to Chicago to MD to San Diego and back to MD while in training during my stint in the Navy.

First, do you trust the truck to make the trip?

Second, do you have the skills / parts to fix whatever can breaks in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night while it's pouring rain?

Because, if you don't or at least don't have alternate plan B, C, D and even plan E you'll wish you did. AAA should be a last resort but also in your list of 'emergency' repair parts.

Advice for the trip is to fix or replace most consumables and wearables. Add enough good gauges so you can monitor oil pressure, water temp and voltage. Then take it for at least a 100 mile round trip to see how it acts and if you'll be able to stand driving it eight hours a day for a week. Exhaust tone, seat ergonomics and comfort etc can make or break a trip. No AC so early morning and late afternoon driving with layovers during the heat of the day? I lived off Gatorade, beef jerky, and local radio stations.

My Fairlane, 289/C4/2.79 geared rear did fine with the exception of the points going out of adjustment by the end of each day's leg. Of course before it left Orlando I had driven it daily for several months and replaced a lot of parts. Tires, belts, hoses, spark plugs and wires. Rebuilt the carb and made sure it had halogen headlamps. I also had a gallon jug of water, a gallon of trans fluid, a gallon of motor oil and enough tools to do most of the work along with spare belts and chunks of 3/8" hose (and clamps) for fuel or trans line repairs.

Dumb stuff that happened to me:
Car ran hot coming up I-95 on a very hot day, ended up running through a series of rain storms to keep it cool. Pass rear tire came loose 10 miles from home. Ended up having the nylon timing chain gear fail in San Diego in the parking lot and had to do a chain swap there. I'm sure there was more but my trip was back in '91.

I did have a ton of fun and spent a lot of time off the interstate seeing the sights. Plan some side trips and pace yourself so you can be off the road by 5 pm. Also try to plan your route to miss rush hour traffic through the cities.

Per towing, I would not do a dolly, instead rent or buy a decent trailer and spend some time dragging it around. Get some better mirrors so you know what's going on around you. Is the bike in the back going to block your mirror? Per the truck, wash and wax it before the trip so you'll get less flack from the locals (leo's and hicks).

The most important thing is have fun because if it's not fun you're better off getting it shipped and driving the focus.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
SaraPeg

Post by SaraPeg »

Hi Ranchero,

Thanks for your great reply. Lots of good points, both practical and just important to think about when it comes to taking risks in general.

I do trust the truck in general. It's very sound for being as old as it is, and I've had a mechanic friend look it over for me and he noted a few little things I'm fixing this week but said he thinks it'll make it just fine. I drove the truck a bit over 100 miles in one shot about 3 weeks ago and it ran perfectly all the way.

As for my level of skill with making repairs, I'm generally mechanical and have a manual for the truck. I have some tools, but will certainly do a double-check to make sure I have all major tools needed for most repairs that may arise, as well as commonly-needed spare parts.

If I didn't have my cat with me for this trip, I'd probably just take my chances and figure it'll be an adventure either way. I just don't want to put her through some sort of broken down in the wilderness hell with me..haha. But your suggestion of keeping all the extras of water and fluids just made me realize that I should also probably prepare by bringing drinking water and food and stuff (for me and the cat) just in case. But that's good practice for anyone, especially out where I'm at.

I will get AAA. Great idea, again one that's so obvious but I overlooked.

Thanks again for your response and sharing your experiences. Definitely gave me a few more things to consider and appreciate here!
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Things to pack

Spare fuel pump
fuel filter
points and condensor
spare antifreeze
spare oil filter
duct tape
3 ft 3/8in gas hose
3 gals gas in a jug
2 quarts of type F trans fluid
fuel line hose clamps

Vise grips
crescent wrench
and the first 5 seasons of macgyver

Have fun
SaraPeg

Post by SaraPeg »

Haha, thanks, Tnl! I'll add all of that to my list...even the macgyver. :lol:

I'm going to give myself a crash course over the next month about working on that truck (I have the original shop manuals for the thing), and am having my mechanic friend give me a list of all the typical tools I should take with me.

I'm pretty nervous about this trip but also pretty excited. I'm guaranteed to have problems...but hey, as long as I don't die I'll be nothing but better off afterwards, right..?
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

You'll be fine, just do the boy scout thing and 'Be Prepared'...

Any parts or tool you buy will serve you well with the truck. Make sure you can change the tires yourself. That alone can be a real eye opener about stuff you need to take along. Gojo, rags, towel to lay or kneel on, lug wrench and pipe for extra leverage. A working bottle jack and a chunk of 2x6 to set it on will help out too.

These trucks are very robust. 6' of 14 gauge wire and alligator clips to connect the +12v to the coil positive will get it running when all else electrical fails. Knowing which band to tighten up will make it move forward if something really weird happens to the transmission.

I would spend some time under the truck, making sure the grease points are hit, that there isn't excessive play in the steering or any play in the U joints. Exhaust should be leak free and eliminate extra holes in the firewall / floor.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
tqwrench

Post by tqwrench »

I made a trip like that in an 84 Cadillac Fleetwood with a 350 Olds Diesel. If that car can make it from Riverside, CA to Orlando, FL, I'd bet your 68 F250 CS will go MT->PA. I had a similar list performed on the Caddy before I left and because I flew in and didn't feel like dragging my tools with me, I bought a Wal-Mart set and a few odds and ends to be sure I had what I needed in case of emergency. I too carried a big jug of water in the truck, blankets and warning pendants (in case I broke down). I didn't have much trouble on that trip at all. I had to replace all 4 tires on the Caddy, they looked good but the DOT codes read they were 11 years old. Tires need replaced every 5-8 years. You don't want a tire shredding on you at 70 MPH.

I was planning on taking my 69 F250 390 CS on a trip but recently found out it didn't want to leave town. I think it lived it's life in the Boise ID area and may have been fed a steady diet of 100% gasoline. I hit my truck with this E10 and all hell broke loose (I have to go 64 miles one-way to find non-ethanol gas at a pump). If your truck has never seen E10 you might suffer the same fate I did. If it runs OK on it, then ignore this bit. E10 acts like a solvent (think Denatured Alcohol).

Lastly, you might want to invest in driving lessons for the cat. Not fair you have to drive all the time. Anyone remember Toonces the driving cat (SNL bit) :lol: ?
1969 F-250 390 Camper Special
Candy Apple Red/Wimbledon White
Camper Special

Post by Camper Special »

tnlprt wrote:Things to pack

duct tape

and the first 5 seasons of macgyver
This would sum up my list.... :lol:
serously, it is an adventure. do your best and have fun!
Out of order, I show you out of order. You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too [censored]' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place! Out of order? Who the hell do you think you're talkin' to? I've been around, you know?..And Harry, Jimmy, Trent, wherever you are out there, [censored] YOU TOO! - Lt Col. Frank Slade
1972 F100 4x4 Calypso Coral
1970 F250 H/B Harbor Blue
1970 F250 CS Red
1970 F250 H/B Yucatan gold I'm back!
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Also a new solenoid and some wire coat hangers with pliers to cut them. Somebody already said duct tape. Duct tape and coat hanger got me home one day when I lost the c-clip on my shift linkage. Great suggestion with the wire and alligator clips! I'm adding that to my emergency kit. :wink: Call your insurance company and see if they have roadside assistance you can add. I've had my car towed 3 times in 2 years and it hasn't cost a dime. Free within 100 miles.

Edit: Snacks, especially chocolate, and a blanket. Desert nights are cold if you stall out at night. Flashlight, cigarette lighter and a good sharp pocket knife.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
motzingg
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by motzingg »

i'd make sure that you break loose all the lug nuts and re-torque them, especially if the tires might be kinda sketchy.

first time i pulled the lugs off my truck, they had probably been on there for 20+ years and i ended up with a broken breaker bar, a broken cheap ratchet, a broken extension... a fairly aincient craftsman 1/2 ratchet, a big pipe, and a harbor freight impact socket finally got them loose, and i needed the breaker bar the whole way off for a couple of them...

just about any electrical issue with the truck should be fixable with jumper cables and 50 feet of 12 ga wire

one of those cordless LED work lamps from HFTools might save your life as well, they do come in handy.

uhhh, change the oil in your differential? was that mentioned? I did that as a last-minute impulse thing on a car my wife had before we went on a road trip, and it was almost completely bone dry, would have been a disaster had i not done that.

yeah the overheating thing too, especially towing a car... gotta watch that one. The scary thing is if someone stuck a can of gum-it-up in the cooling system at one point and plugged half the passages in the radiator.. you could go around town for 10 years and never notice, but one long pull on the highway towing a car would overheat ya...

I'd budget for an extra day of tow dolly rental, set everything up, and put 50 miles on it checking the lights, brakes, etc. before heading out. I daily drove my truck for over two months before a taillight wiring fault showed up one day... bad splice worked itself loose.
alphawave7

Post by alphawave7 »

If I had to do the same in my 70 F250 Camper Special, I'd also grab a cheap handheld CB radio (Amazon about $35) and use Waze app on my phone (when a signal exists) to monitor traffic and road hazards along the way. Oh, a can of fix-a-flat if you wake up to a deflated tire one morning(truck or trailer/Focus)...should get you to the nearest Costco/Sams/Tire store. Best cure for worry is preparation. Enjoy!
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Sounds like a helluva trip you've got planned (and fun!)

When I buy a used (especially very used) Ford pickup or car, I always replace the radiator hoses and heater hoses, as I've had those fail more often than not. I replace the belts, flush (not just add to) brake fluid; coolant, fuel filter. I ALWAYS have a good hard look at the tie rod ends, steering box, alternator, water pump. Anything in question gets replaced. Be prepared for a heater core failure and have a way to bypass it.

Failure of a critical component at best is inconvenience and expense.

At worst, it means death. Mine or my families or someone else in the way of an out-of-control fifty year old truck.

Good list you have going, but I'd also add (unless it's been mentioned above) is to check the front wheel bearings and have them re-greased, and to check the rear bearings for play, as well as the rear diff for adequate fluid. Losing a wheel at speed can be damned embarrassing.

Stuff that I take with me, regardless of whether it's a 2011 or a 1967. This is my normal trunk kit or kit under the canopy when I travel more than 50 miles out:
3/8" and 1/2" drive socket kit
combination wrenches
torque wrench
Pliers
screwdrivers
vise grips
jack, "X" wrench, wheel chocks
blanket and tarp
duct tape and baling wire
hose clamps
spare fuses, light bulbs
battery cable brush and vaseline
gasket sealer
jumper cables and a portable jump starter (small battery)
small inflator-type air compressor
several flash lights/work lights
gloves
spare oil, coolant, and brake fluid
flares
Tow strap
Tie down straps.

I usually have to bail someone else's ass out of trouble with the above, and only occasionally a family member. My kids have damned near the same stuff in their cars, because it sucks to be stranded.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hillcountryflt »

I participate in a Harley-Davidson forum that caters to the older shovelheads and there are frequently similar discussions concerning taking these older vehicles on long trips. Lots of opinions on tools and supplies needed.
I would say if it is rubber and you have not replaced it, replace it before the trip. Basically all hoses.
Look over your wiring, especially those connecting your lights. No lights, no fun at night.
Download necessary schematics from this forum to your surface/ipad/computer just as a resource in the event you need to figure something out.
By the way, how old is your battery?
Did the camper special have provisions for a second battery. Seems like that would be a nice feature for a long trip.
1971 F100 Custom SB Flareside;
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2008 Ford Mustang Deluxe V6
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

5 seasons of McGyver....not bad.
Internet connection to Fordification, even better.
Yup all the rubber parts, steering parts and anything that holds fluids.
These trucks are damn tough and will take a lot of abuse before they fail.
I just hope you have enough gas money :eek: :eek: :eek:

Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
tac
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tac »

How about a list of members along the route that could help if the really unexpected happens?