1969 360 Cylinder F100 "How to" Tune up...

General website and forum announcements

Moderator: FORDification

JPsaila14

1969 360 Cylinder F100 "How to" Tune up...

Post by JPsaila14 »

I have a 1969 2wd F100 with a 360 engine that is in pretty rough shape... Can't bring it to a mechanic so I needed help on how to tune up my engine myself. The engine is misfiring and I thought it had something to do with the old sparkplugs... If anyone could guide me on how to tune up a 360 engine that would be very helpful.
71Fe2O3

Re: 1969 360 Cylinder F100 "How to" Tune up...

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

This isn't the right place for your inquiry. It will get more attention in the "engine" section.

Tune up can mean different things to different people. If the engine was previously running well but the performance or fuel economy are starting to slip, I would change the plugs (make sure they are properly gapped), distributor cap, rotor, points and condenser-I would consider that to be a basic tune-up. Check the point gap and dwell and adjust as needed. You might also check the timing-these engines tend to run well with timing advanced a few degrees-I don't remember how much I did, but you can search the site to see what others do. Finally, put a vacuum gauge on the vacuum line from the carburetor and adjust the carburetor to maximize vacuum.

Changing the ignition components, setting point gap, dwell and timing and adjusting the carburetor should take care of your misfire unless you have a deeper problem such as a worn camshaft gear or timing chain.

For a more comprehensive refreshing, consider belts, hoses (which leads to engine flush and new coolant), fuel filter, air filter, and PCV valve. Inspect vacuum lines, change them if they are cracked or brittle.
Modern plug wires last much longer than the oldies, so if your wires are old, consider changing them.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
MadJoe

Re: 1969 360 Cylinder F100 "How to" Tune up...

Post by MadJoe »

71Fe203 is correct; this will get more attention (the good kind, anyway) in the Engine forum.

But, start with these on any old engine that's been sitting:
  • Wires
  • Cap & Rotor
  • Coil
  • Timing
  • Carb: Clean or rebuild depending on condition
  • Filters: oil/air/fuel
  • Oil
  • Gas: is it bad? flush the tank and fuel system
  • Look for vacuum leaks
There's probably more, but these should get you started. Good luck.

-Joe
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end