Mouseover on Forum List installed

General website and forum announcements

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Mouseover on Forum List installed

Post by FORDification »

You've probably seen this feature on other online forums....and it's something I've wanted for a while now. What this new feature does is give you a small pop-up when your hold your mouse over a topic title in the forums, with the first 175 characters of the first post's contents.

The feature is configurable, and I'm tweaking a little on it now. I might increase the character count, I'm not sure. Tell me what you think.

Very soon I'll also be adding the ability for members to turn off this feature in their Control Panel, since most people either really like it or really hate it. :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
70shortwide

Re: Mouseover on Forum List installed

Post by 70shortwide »

lol i read the title thinking :hmm: . what is mouseover? lol then i moved my mouse to it. :wink: it became clear. I like it :thup:

:fte:
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Incidentally...when you now hold your mouse over the Last Post icon of each topic title (and main forum index), you'll see the mouseover pop-up of the beginning of the last post made to that thread (or topic, as applicable).
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by dolinick »

I just noticed it. But almost dismissed it. I am not taking well to new fangled computer widgets. I probably do take a lot of the modern stuff for granted though.

One thing I noticed is that I can post HUGE photos and they get re sized automatically. They will still take forever to load if someone has a slow connection won't they? That's not too good for slow folks.

Dan
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it is kind of annoying. but it is very helpful in skipping new threads you don't want to respond to.
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

I am a fan of this feature. I belong to a ford diesel forum and they have it there. I use it all the time there to determine of a new thread is worth reading or not. However, theres has a kind of timeout feature where the bubble disappears after a short time of holding it over the link. Is that something you could make possible Kieth? It's kind of nice for the bubble to go away after about 10 seconds or so. Also on their form it takes a second for it to come up, a slight delay so you don't get bubbles ever time you are scrolling through the links.

Glad to have the feature though! Very nice :thup:
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

fireguywtc wrote:I am a fan of this feature. I belong to a ford diesel forum and they have it there. I use it all the time there to determine of a new thread is worth reading or not. However, theres has a kind of timeout feature where the bubble disappears after a short time of holding it over the link. Is that something you could make possible Kieth? It's kind of nice for the bubble to go away after about 10 seconds or so. Also on their form it takes a second for it to come up, a slight delay so you don't get bubbles ever time you are scrolling through the links.

Glad to have the feature though! Very nice :thup:
Good ideas! :thup: I'll definitely look into them and see if they're possible.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I've installed the code that will now allow all members to turn on/off the mouseover previews in their User Control Panel.

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

dolinick wrote:...One thing I noticed is that I can post HUGE photos and they get re sized automatically. They will still take forever to load if someone has a slow connection won't they? That's not too good for slow folks.

Dan
Yes, the image will still be large, it's just displayed smaller inline, so as not to stretch the page out. And yes, it will slow down the page downloading. If the image is large, or you have multiple images to display, you might want to consider adding links to them instead of displaying them inline. :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

fireguywtc: I contacted the person who wrote the code to incorporate the mouseover preview, and he says that the delay features aren't possible as it's currently written. So I guess it ain't gonna happen. However, I'll keep my eyes open for a different setup that might have those features.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

Outstanding! Thanks!

:fr:
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

I really like the mouseover feature, great addition.
Other forums I frequent have a "view all" option to load an entire thread instead of reading page by page.

Does the new forum software have the same function?
1967 F100