The first vintage Factory Training video has been posted...

General website and forum announcements

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

The first vintage Factory Training video has been posted...

Post by FORDification »

I'm sure most of you were monitoring this thread in which I was looking for a 35mm filmstrip projector. This was so I could begin to archive the collection of filmstrip/record training packages that I've been slowly collecting. 'fordman' graciously contributed the necessary funds to purchase the filmstrip projector, and it finally arrived a couple days ago. (Thanks fordman!)

I spent the evening messing around with the projector, learning how to use it and getting it cleaned up a bit so the filmstrips could be viewed. I ended up dismantling it to some degree to get dust and lint off the optics and things now look pretty good. :thup:

My plan is to simply project the filmstrip up onto a screen, and then capture the images and sound with a video camera. I will then convert the video to a .flv (Flash) file format to display online, just like YouTube. I decided to take the whole capture process on a trial run so I could get an idea of all the variables I need to be monitoring, like video quality vs. file size, duration, whether or not the video can be viewed in all popular browsers, etc.

I got the first video made several evenings ago, and then got it converted to a Flash file this evening. I'm posting it here for your viewing pleasure....while it lasts. The video you see is kinda crude....the image quality isn't the best, mainly due to some lint being pulled up into the machine while the filmstrip was being advanced (you'll see that in a few frames about 2/3 of the way through). I'm going to have to do more cleaning, I guess. Also, the machine I'm using has a built-in record player, which is great, but the speaker ends up being a little far away from the camera's microphone, resulting in the audio sounding a little 'distant'....something that will be corrected for future releases by removing the speaker and setting it up right by the camera's microphone. (You'll also notice that when advancing the first frame, I accidentally went the wrong direction. whoops!) :doh: :oops:

Anyway...the video is just a temporary example...I'll be re-recording it in the near future, with (hopefully) a cleaner picture and better sound. I just temporarily posted it to the site so I could check it out with various browsers, and thought you all might like to get a glimpse of the type of video presentations that will be coming in the near future. I'll be removing this one in the near future and will replace it with a much cleaner looking/sounding version...but for a first-time effort, it actually didn't turn out too bad. :D

This was a 1972 production called "Way Out Ahead: 1972 Ford F-100 Pickup vs. Chevy & Dodge Pickups", and was propaganda designed to 'educate' the salesmen about the positive attributes of their trucks when comparing them to the competition.

The video has been posted to the following URL:

Way Out Ahead: 1972 Ford F-100 Pickup vs. Chevy & Dodge Pickups

Take a look and tell me what you think! :D Like I said, though, this one will be cleaned up and enhanced, and reposted at a later date.

Also, it WILL be streaming into your computer, so you'll be able to watch things as they come in. However, due to the volume of viewers that I'm sure will try watching this at the same time, you might see a few delays while the video downloads. Once it's done, you'll be able to view it in it's entirety without the pauses.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: The first vintage Factory Training video has been posted...

Post by FORDification »

By the way, I forgot to mention that this video is a little more than 14 minutes long. The Flash file you download is almost 25 MB, so those of you with dial-up are going to be downloading this one for a while. :o Be patient though...it IS pretty cool! :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
mikeconner1

Post by mikeconner1 »

Man, this brings back some memories. I remember the filmstrip from elementary & junior high. I had forgotten about the little beep that told the filmstrip projector to turn the knob and get to the next frame. Who else remembers "health class", usually "taught" by the gym teacher where you watched a filmstrip in EVERY class cuz the gym teacher wasn't really into it? Funny stuff.
'40 pickup, '51 F6, '54 F100, '56 F600, '59 F100, '60 F100,
'64 Unibody, '64 F100, '66 F100, '66 Bronco, '67 Fairlane (wife's) '68 F100,
'72 F250 '72 F100, '77 F100 4X4, '83 F150 4X4, !944 2N, 1951 8N, 1952 8N, 1953 Jubilee
1960 881 Select O Speed, 1961 801, yeah I'm eat up with it.
Non-Ford: '41 Plymouth, '55 Desoto, '67 Jaguar 420, '72 Mercedes 220
'84 Subaru GL turbo coupe. I need more garage, maybe an empty Wal-Mart.
JWW
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by JWW »

Thanks for sharing that. I love vintage projector movies. I'm looking forward to new additions to this area. Thanks again that was very cool. :thup:
JWW
1967 F100 Ranger, Auto, 240ci
2004 F150 Crew Cab
My project: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Thought you all might get a kick out of seeing my 'hi-tech' recording studio. :wink:

My [censored] table, a stack of my wife's cookbooks and some Ford parts manuals, the video projector and my digital camera.

All things considered, especially how relatively inexpensively I was able to do this, I'm fairly pleased with the outcome. :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Very very cool. Man that brings back memories and quite honestly I think it's perfect just the way it is. Who didn't go the wrong way or fiddle with the focus half way through the show? I know I did more than once. The audio was spot on too. same tinny sound from the back of the room. Sounds perfect.

I only wish the viewing window was a little bigger.

Still it's a propaganda film. You really gon't need to dwell on the disc brakes or nice smooth ride of the Chevy, they're not 'real' trucks and the Dodge? Must expect lots of shorts...

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Ranchero50 wrote:...I only wish the viewing window was a little bigger...
I just bumped the viewing window size up by 100 pixels. Any more than that and it really starts getting pixelated.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
drytoast
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by drytoast »

That was awesome Keith, I really enjoyed it. I was just going to watch a few minutes and ended up watching the whole movie. Looks great just the way you did it and still has that nostalgia look to it. Great job. Toast
Life is hard; its harder if your STUPID. John Wayne

1972 Ford F-100 Explorer 302 C4 automatic
2005 Chrysler T&C Limited
1996 Honda Accord LX 238,000 miles and counting
Fordnatic
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordnatic »

That is interesting! I, too was going to just check out a little and ended up watching the whole thing. I can't believe the film survived all these years. It's amazing what gets saved....or not tossed out. Glad it's being salvaged.
70F100: 410 Merc with tri-power, close ratio toploader, 4.56 detroit locker 9"
68F100 4x4: 390, 4 spd/NP 205, Rancho 4" urethane susp, 35x12.50 All Terrain T/A's
55F100
01F150 Daily Driver: TP tunes, AF1 intake, elec fans, Magnaflow exh, underdrive pulleys, Centerlines
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

ARRGGHHH! I was playing around with the projector this evening, trying to get another recording from a very warped record and decided that if I bent the needle on the record player out just a tiny bit it would work better....and the $#*%& thing snapped off! :eek: :doh: I just hopped up on E-bay and found a couple that looks like they'll work, so I did the Buy It Now with a couple of them. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. :pray:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

thats a drag about the needle. i was laughing abotu the video/film. it was a big propaganda sales film. the greehouse room in the chevy cab was eviedent in the film. it did remind me of a jrhigh school film. the beeping was something i had forgot abotu also. i'm glad i have dsl now. it was easy to watch. i did notice that the ford seemed to be lower in the rear than most of the trucks i have seen though. in some of the flat side views of it . that isn't a good sells point to most folks. it makes them seem like they are loaded down in those pics.
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

Looked pretty good to me. Still fairly sharp at that size.
Hope the needle works.. If it doesn't I "might" have a few around.
Seems I did have a few in some old parts boxes, but have no
idea if they would be the right type.
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

Very cool indeed! It's really neat to see this old sales info for our trucks. I laughed out loud at the dodge fuse panel location; "Do you suppose they are expecting a large number of shorts?" :lol:
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

That was great. I think that going the wrong way on the first beep adds a nice, nostalgic touch. :lol:
I like your setup. Funny thing is that when I used to work in film and TV we used a similar setup. For one episode of "New York Undercover" they wanted to show somebody watching a news report on TV. Because the show was shot on film we had to do it in two steps. First we shot the report on video. Then we played it back on TV and shot the TV with the 16mm Arri movie camera that we used for everything. Pretty low-tech for a network TV show and just about the same setup that Keith used.
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/