RE: Upcoming forum software upgrades...please read

General website and forum announcements

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

RE: Upcoming forum software upgrades...please read

Post by FORDification »

As most of you have read in a previous thread, I'm going through the motions of doing a major forum software upgrade in the very near future...within the next few weeks. The current software has been completely rewritten into a new version, and the old version will cease to be supported within the next year.

Some of the cool features of the new forum software include:
  • - Temporary Bans (Suspension) - (not that we NEED that function, since you all are so well-behaved, right?) ;)
    - Custom BB Code buttons
    - Multiple Poll Option Voting and ability to change poll vote
    - Instant Messaging (Jabber)
    - Bookmarks
    - Topic Sorting - Sort by Author, Selectable Post Time, Replies, Subject and Views in descending or ascending order
    - Post Sorting - Sort by Author, Selectable Post Time, and Subject in descending or ascending order
    - Quote Multiple Posts
    - Attachments with automatic thumbnails
    - Attachment Types: Images, Documents, Audio Streams, Video Streams (like YouTube), Archives
    - Beaten-to-Posting Review - If you're writing a long post as a reply, and someone sneaks in a reply before you're finished, you'll get a notification and a preview
These are just a few items on a long list of new or upgraded features...sounds like fun! Anyway, to get all these new features, the new version requires a database conversion...that is, many complex changes will be made to the database (where all the posts, users, PM's, etc.) are stored. While the conversion is taking place and everything is being configured here, there will be a planned downtime, which shouldn't last more than 24 hours or so. I'm not sure exactly when this will happen, but I'll be sure to keep you all informed. In an effort at minimizing the downtime, I've been working for several weeks on test runs on my computer. I've installed all the necessary software so that I have a complete site/forum clone on my PC, so I can practice the database conversion and iron out any snags, before trying it with the real database. The trial runs didn't go completely smoothly, and I've had to spend much time trying to figure out the cause.

Anyway, just to let you all know....if the conversion attempt on the real database goes anything like the trial runs I've been doing on my computer at home, there will be several things from our current forums that will NOT transfer over.
  • 1. All saved private messages (PM's) will be lost, This means that sometime before the upgrade actually happens, you'll all need to go into your PM box and manually save anything you feel you don't want to lose...that is, you'll have to copy/paste PM's into a text file and save them to your computer. I'm sorry for this, but the conversion process continually locked up as it was trying to weed through all those PM's. There are several thousand saved in the database, and there was no way I was going to try to figure out which one was causing the problem. Not only due to the time that would be involved, but I consider PM's to be just that...PRIVATE messages, not meant for my eyes. Therefore, I'm having to bulk-delete all PM's from the database in order to successfully complete the conversion. I'll be keeping everyone informed about the actual date/time of the forum upgrade, so you'll have plenty of time to save any important PM's. I'm also planning on sending out a bulk e-mail to all registered members in the very near future alerting/reminding them of this, so everyone should have plenty of time to save any messages as needed.

2. The settings saved for topics that are being watched for new replies will also be lost....though IMO this is a very minor inconvenience. What this means is that if you have any threads marked to alert you for new replies, you won't get any more notifications on those threads, until you re-visit the thread once the new forums are up and re-mark it.
Here's another cool feature: In each forum (Engine, Drivetrain, etc.) we'll have the option of adding an unlimited number of nested sub-forums...basically, a forum within a forum. Tentatively I'm planning on adding three (3) sub-forums to each:
  • 1. Frequently-Asked Questions - Each forum will have it's own FAQ section specifically devoted to the topic of the main forum. For example, the 'Engine FAQs' sub-forum will include things like "What's the difference between a 360 and a 390?".
    2. Archives - As the forums get pruned down, we'll be trying to maintain 90 days or so of regular topic discussion in each forum. Once we reach that threshold, all threads older than 90 days will be read by either myself or a moderator to judge content. If the thread contains useful information, it'll be transferred to the archives. If not, it'll get deleted.
    3. Links - The third sub-forum will be links that directly pertain to the main forum subject....that is, the 'Engine Links' sub-forum will be a good listing of links to anything to do with Engines, including info on other sites, vendors, etc.
These sub-forums will be locked, however....read-only access to everyone except myself and the moderators.

...which leads me to the next 'upgrade'. With the forums getting as busy as they are, I've decided that it's time to enlist some volunteer help. That is, we'll be getting some additional Moderators. I'll be tentatively adding three new Mods unless I see the need for one or two more, and each will be assigned to a specific forum (or two). The new Mods will have additional duties/abilities in that forum only...in the other forums they'll be regular users. I've spoken with the three I'll be adding and each have agreed to the new responsibilities, but I'm going to hold off announcing who they are until the software upgrades are done and we're on the new platform. ;)

I'm tentatively planning on spending Sunday doing a final test conversion run and getting everything set up for the the big upgrade. Once I determine that everything's going to go smoothly, I'll set a date for the forum downtime so that there will be time to announce it and give everyone time to save their important PM's. I'll be posting progress reports as needed on the front page of the site (www.fordification.com), so if you attempt to access the forums and see they're offline, you can check the site's front page to get an idea of the timeframe expected when things will be re-enabled.

Anyway, I'll definitely appreciate your patience during this upgrade, as I'm sure I won't be getting much sleep! :zz: Heck, I might even be able to spend some time with the kids for a change...I understand my oldest started first grade last week! ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

sounds like some snazzy upgrades! :thup:

cant wait to see who the new mods are :D

thanks keith :)
-Ryan
td
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: RE: Upcoming forum software upgrades...please read

Post by td »

hope it all goes well!! thanks for keeping us informed. :thup:
ford4x4fun
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ford4x4fun »

Hey Keith appriciate the hard work. :thup:
CNR Radio Instructor
US ARMY Retired
1971 Ford F100 4x4 (390)
2015 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.7l
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

will there be a feature that allows us to see what threads we have posted in without going to "view your posts"? something like a "blip" embedded in the thread avitar to the left of the topic? am i making sense? lol i sometimes forget what threads i have posted in and that feature is a neat reminder for the mentally challenged such as myself.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yep! :thup: The feature is called 'Topic Participation Tracking', and will have a slightly-edited icon along the left side of the topic listing, showing which threads you've participated in.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

coolness. have i said "thanks" for all you do for the site lately keith? lol. thanks.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
MIL1ION

Post by MIL1ION »

They have that on another site I just registered to.

http://discuss.50plus.com/ipb/index.php?
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

hey keith will the new forum have a thingy by the chat button that says how many members are currently in there? on slick60s.org they have it. its quite nifty
-Ryan
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I haven't played around with that at all yet...so I really don't know. In fact, there's quite a few new features I haven't tried out yet, and probably won't have time to before the upgrade, so we're all gonna have fun learning together! :D

I actually think I'm about ready to try to get this done, but I need a full day to devote to it, and right now it's hard finding that kinda time! :eek: It's VERY likely that you all aren't going to get the 7-day advance warning before the upgrade, like I previously mentioned. I might just have to seize the moment when it arises. So...as I mentioned, if you try to get to the forums and see they're offline, do a quick check of the site's front page to see if there's a notice posted there.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

sounds goooood keith! thanks! :fr: :fr: :fr:
-Ryan
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: RE: Upcoming forum software upgrades...please read

Post by basketcase0302 »

Keith,

Congrats on the software completion!
I like the new look.

Basketcase
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: RE: Upcoming forum software upgrades...please read

Post by BobbyFord »

Awesome :fr: