IMPORTANT!! EVERYBODY PLEASE READ!

General website and forum announcements

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

IMPORTANT!! EVERYBODY PLEASE READ!

Post by FORDification »

Well, it's official....the site is going to be moving to it's new home over the next 48 hours or so, even though I'm not completely ready for it. :cry:

Since the site (and mainly the forums) have been using up "too many" system resources on the server it's currently being hosted on, and since the service where we're currently at pretty much sucks, I decided a while back that the site needed to go somewhere with better technical assistance (and less whining!). A while ago I signed up for an account at a different web hosting company, and even moved all the sites files over there. However, the forums couldn't be moved, due to my inability to get a working backup made of the forum database. I've been plugging away at it a little here and there when I got some spare time, but haven't been successful in that attempt.

Then a couple months ago, they again started telling me the forum was using too many system resources, and moved the site to what they deemed as a 'high-risk server'. The higher security settings on this server are what's been causing the problems with posting sometimes, with error message popping up when using certain words. I took what should've been a shop day last Saturday and spent the whole day sitting in front of the computer, pruning the database of old posts, cleaning out nearly 30,000 search words from the database and general maintenance, in an effort to bring the server usage down. I then contacted my hosts inquiring about getting the site returned to a regular production server.

Well, this morning I got a bombshell dropped on me. :eek: I got an e-mail from our current hosts telling me that the server usage is still above what they consider "acceptable"....and have given me three days to get my current Shared Hosting plan upgraded to either a Virtual Private Server or a Dedicated Server! :eek: :hw:

So...what does this mean for you?

Well, I called in to work today, telling them I wouldn't be in, so that I could spend the whole day in a final last-ditch effort at getting the forum database backed up and the rest of the site files transferred over. The time for the big move is here. I spent over an hour on the phone this morning with our current host's tech support, and was able to get them to do a complete database dump for me, and I've now got it on my computer, ready to upload it to our new hosts. However, as the case sometimes goes, our new hosts are right in the middle of some major server upgrades, and so my account there is temporarily unavailable, for a few more hours. Once things there are fixed and I'm ready to upload the database and finish transferring the remainder of the site's files, I'll then begin the process of transferring the domain name to the new host....and then once the domain name propagates, we'll be at our new home. There's going to be a few glitches or delays during the next few days...so be prepared.

However, there's one thing I NEED everyone to know:

Any and all posts and/or attachments made to the FORDification forums after 10:30 AM CST on October 19th, 2007 will NOT survive the move to the new server!

That part is important for everyone to understand when doing any posting over the next 48 hours or so! The site itself will continue to be available, but it's very possible the forums will be temporarily offline during this transition. In the meantime, we'll again have to use what's been come to be known as the FORDification 'fall-out shelter'...that is, the free forums at the following link:

http://com3.runboard.com/bthefordificat ... m6772fords

Our 'fall-out shelter' forums are very basic and completely different from our current forum setup, and if you haven't registered there before, you'll have to do so to post....but at least you'll have a place to get a slight bumpside fix until our current php forums are back up and running.

Even while the forums are down, I will continue to keep everyone informed as to the progress, via this site's front page at www.fordification.com.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this move is going to have over the next few days, but it's something that cannot be put off any more. All I can say is keep your fingers crossed that the move goes on without any major snags.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
67heavystepside

re: IMPORTANT!! EVERYBODY PLEASE READ!

Post by 67heavystepside »

GOOD LUCK KEITH

YOU ARE THE MAN
:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
seattle67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by seattle67 »

Yup, we (insert I) take for granted what it takes to run a web site like this. I (insert we) appreciate it Keith. This is a great web site and has done a lot to enhance this Ford hobby (insert addiction) for me.

Good luck Keith.

p.s. I've done a transfer such as you are attempting, it's a lot of work. Don't forget to kiss the wife and kids good night! :wink:
Dan

"I plan to start procastinating immediately"

1970FordTK
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1970FordTK »

Ditto to all that. :fr:
HOWDY69
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by HOWDY69 »

OK I got a hotel for the wife and I for the next two days so I will probably be distracted anyway.
Good timing.
69 F250, FE Specialties 410, CJ Valves, RPM Intake, Holley 4150,......10 Smiles per gallon
71 Clydesdale in many pieces; 302 roller motor waiting impatiently
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Keith, thanks for all the long hours, we 'preeshe8ya
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
bugser

Post by bugser »

Keith Said "I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this move is going to have over the next few days,"

Yeesh boss,I don't see the need for you to be saying that to the likes of us. We should apologize to you for overloading the system. :lol:
RON

Excuse me while I whip this out
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

:yt: Hope everything goes smooth :thup:
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

The things we do for Love :thup:
Ford Is The Mountain That The Rock fell Off Of.

72 F-250 Camper Special 390 Stroker 419 CID 420 HP Natural Asp 200 HP NOS C-6 Dana 60 4.10
96 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.8 Heavy Duty 4EOD
tuff4rd

Post by tuff4rd »

Thank you for all your hard work and time :thup: :fr:
ImageImage
71 F100 XLT Ranger
04 F150 FX4
06 F150 XL
TheEskimo
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TheEskimo »

You rock Keith, hope it all goes smooth for ya.
-Jason
1972 F250 Camper Special 360ci
1973 F100 Custom 390ci
1985 Thinderbird 302ci (DD)
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Keith,

Good luck and godspeed! Thank you for the current and future job you're doing.

Hey, if you need help moving I can bring my one ton over! :lol:
Any and all posts and/or attachments made to the FORDification forums after 10:30 AM CST on October 19th, 2007 will NOT survive the move to the new server!

Chevys suck :yip: Chevys suck :yip: Chevys suck :yip: Chevys suck :yip: Chevys suck :yip: Chevys suck :yip: Chevys suck :yip:

Man, do I ever feel better now!
Thanks again Keith.

Basketcase
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well, I'm about halfway there...my account at our new hosts is still temporarily available, but at least I have FTP access, so I worked all day yesterday and half of today (so far...it's noon here) getting files uploaded. I tried calling the tech support earlier this morning to get a timetable on when I can access the controls to this new account so I can get things set up, but ended up being on hold for about an hour before I gave up. (Thank God for speakerphones!) As I type this I'm again on hold with their tech support, and have been for 40 minutes.

There's still a lot of work to do, in getting files transferred over, getting the forums set up and getting the domain name transferred over. :(
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

:clap: Our hats off to you "Oh Great One" , :bow: we are not worthy :bow: . Let us know if we can do anything. Otherwise we just sit here, :pop: patiently I must add. :fr:
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
69twotone
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69twotone »

Thanks a million Keith. Where do I donate to defray your costs. This website has been a fantastic resource for my project (addiction).
69 f100 Custom cab Two tone maroon and white

Looking for a steering wheel with the horn ring, maroon or any color. PM me