Did some forum post pruning this evening

General website and forum announcements

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Did some forum post pruning this evening

Post by FORDification »

Just to let you all know, as part of the ongoing investigation into our current forum gremlins, it was suggested that I do some pruning of posts to cut down on the database size. I haven't done any database cleaning of old/outdated/unnecessary posts since the forum was started 4 (or so) years ago, and since this was something that I've been meaning to do for some time now, I went ahead and did that this evening.

The following forums were pruned of posts which hadn't had any replies in the past 90 days, with the exception of the Testing area, where posts with no replies within the past 10 days were deleted. Here are the stats of what got deleted:

=============================

-Testing...testing...
122 topics for a total of 767 posts

-FORDification.com Auctions
29 topics for a total of 316 posts

-Parts for Sale/Trade
915 topics for a total of 4645 posts

-Parts Wanted
739 topics for a total of 3631 posts

- Trucks for Sale/Trade/Wanted
695 topics for a total of 3466 posts

- Humor
582 topics for a total of 3262 posts

-Website & Forum Feedback/Help
160 topics for a total of 731 posts

TOTAL = 3242 topics deleted for a total of 16,818 posts (WOW! :eek: )

=============================

As you can see, I didn't touch any of the information forums, just those that I deemed as unnecessary and would be unlikely to be searched for. This should help in streamlining the database for faster searches and less unneeded overhead.

Oh....by the way....you'll also notice that your post counts did not decrease after all after the pruning. ;) The deleted posts are still included in your post counts, they're just no longer in the database.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Did some forum post pruning this evening

Post by flyboy2610 »

That is a lot of posts! :eek:
If there's anything we can do to help, let us know.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrsnicks »

Whee!!!! Post count saved!! Go Keith!

Umm.. question though.. what happened to the quick reply box that used to be at the bottom of posts??? :? :hmm:

Patrick
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The Quick Reply box is among a dozen or so forum mods that had to deleted while we track down the gremlins causing some current server problems. We're almost to the point where we can see some light at the end of the tunnel in regards to pinpointing the problem, and when we do, I can reinstall the forum mods and re-activate the Photo Galleries. Be patient...it should happen soon. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Just as a thought the welcome and site updates section after a time frame determined by yourself? And unnessacery stikys like for the stickers and stuff.

***Edited*** Ok guess the stickers one is long gone. Just some hopefully helpful suggestions is all.

Great job so far Keith.Thanks for everything you do keith.:thup:
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrung0wa »

I HATE GREMLINS...
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

Keith, I did indeed lose posts...i was at about 945...now it says 741. Not sure if the two are related. Most of my posts are simply concurring or non-concurring with someone else...but there was a bunch of them. I was at 4 Stars as well, now at 3.

Forum: Project Updates Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:16 am Subject: more billet interior parts
Who is "he"?

**just got my 4th star- a blue oval fanatic**
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
OldBlue67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by OldBlue67 »

ACK! It cut mine I was at 600 something trucking along to blue oval fanatic and now I'm at 504 or so :eek:
~Liz
Old Blue Truck is Old and Blue
Ugly as sin but dont get in my way VA-ROOOOOOMMMMM!! :evil: :evil:
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hmmm....after the first round of pruning, it didn't appear to have altered the post counts. I've been busy over the past couple of days pruning some more, and apparently this time the post count was altered. Therefore, I'm going to hold off on any more pruning until I can make sure the post counts aren't affected in the future.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

Are the post counts that important? Call me oldfashioned, but don't they just show that we've been spending way too much time on the computer?
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

Steve...you may have a point there....Steve
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I don't think they are that important. There are some with high post counts that don't say much that's worth reading.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I guess it all depends on how a particular post or thread is dealt with on my part. If I "prune' the posts using a built-in feature of the software, it deletes posts that haven't been replied to in a certain amount of time (of my choosing), and it doesn't affect the post counts. However, it takes everything....good AND bad posts. Since certain forums here contain info that I wanted to save, I couldn't use the prune feature for them and so I had to actually re-read every single thread and then manually delete those that weren't save-worthy....and anything manually deleted does affect the post counts. It doesn't appear as if there's anything I can do about that. So every now and then as I do some cleaning, you're probably going to see your count drop a little. It's just going to have to be the nature of the beast.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
OldBlue67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by OldBlue67 »

FLATBEDFORD wrote:Are the post counts that important? Call me oldfashioned, but don't they just show that we've been spending way too much time on the computer?
Well, truthfully yah. I dont post all that often but I've been here since the beginning. My post count was just finally starting to reflect that. I was kinda pumped to be getting close to the next rank, theres only a handfull of guys who've got that far and most of them have been around a good while (obviously). I guess it just shows how useless a lot of the things I post are for so many to be lost when the garbage gets thrown out :( :(
~Liz
Old Blue Truck is Old and Blue
Ugly as sin but dont get in my way VA-ROOOOOOMMMMM!! :evil: :evil:
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I don't realy think its our data base oir upgrades i'd almost say its the host cuasing this problem to force an upgrade. What would it take to get our own server establish and hooked int the net?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com