1970 F250 Freshening Up/Been Gone Long Time Kentdaryl

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

kentdaryl

1970 F250 Freshening Up/Been Gone Long Time Kentdaryl

Post by kentdaryl »

Been off the site a long time, life happens. So my 1970 F250 4X4 was pretty much finished 10-12 years ago but got into a little mishap just before my wife and I moved to our new place. The body damage as result of the mishap was a hack job but we were in the middle of selling our old place so the '70 has just been sitting in the garage. Aside from the crappy bodywork there have been a couple of other issues that needed attention on the truck; the engine has barely 1000 miles on it but I screwed up years ago breaking the engine in, the result was a flat cam, and the rear main has leaked since shortly after getting it back from the machine shop. Also, one of the rear spindles keeps eating the dust seal, and lastly the forty gallon fuel tank I installed years ago is ridiculously large for my use.

So... first order of business was to remove the bed and replace the fuel tank. I know the mustang tank is a popular swap but I decided on an early bobtail Bronco tank. Thirteen gallons and the filler comes through the frame on the left hand side. I'll post more pictures once the bed is on and the filler tube is all set up. A fuel door grafted into the side of the bed would look good, but I can't bring myself to hack up the bed, it will go in the left rear wheel well.

So next on the order of business will be Speedi-sleeves for the rear end. I'd considered swapping out to a wider track in the rear but decided it's not worth the hassle. It's always bugged me a bit that the rear track is 4" narrower than the front. but it's just aesthetic. After that the engine will come out for the rear main and cam, and finally, off to a better body man to re-repair the damage done years ago. I'll try and post pictures.

Cheers, Kentdaryl

P.S. - When the '70 is back together we (daughter, wife, and myself) begin working on the family project '67 F100 short bed. More on that in the future.
kentdaryl

Re: 1970 F250 Freshening Up/Been Gone Long Time Kentdaryl

Post by kentdaryl »

A couple of pictures (hopefully).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kentdaryl

Post by kentdaryl »

Quick update. Fuel tank is in and hooked up, was a pretty painless job. We had to cut a hole in the side of the frame right about where the overload pads would go if she had them, was a great excuse to get a plasma cutter. Sleeved both rear spindles where the hub seal rides, new rear shoes and wheel cylinders (left rear soaked in gear oil - shoes had all of a couple of thousand miles). Need to re-wire the sending unit circuit back into the original gauge and finish the fuel fill and button up the wiring/taillights, etc. Then on to the engine.
Gotta love having a lift, not only is it a back-saver but mighty handy for things like lifting the bed off and on!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hdman90
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdman90 »

Very quick and good work! The truck looks excellent! Curious to see what the results of the mishap look like and how you plan to fix them!
1969 F-100 LWB 2wd 240 3spd manual
1969 F-250 LWB 4wd 360 4spd manual
1976 F-250 Supercab LWB 2wd 390 4spd manual
kentdaryl

Post by kentdaryl »

Here's an old picture of the damage hdman, doors aren't supposed to fold that way! The damage has since been "repaired" - new cowl patch, door and fender, I just don't like how it turned out.
kentdaryl

Post by kentdaryl »

And the tank in and buttoned up, just need to run a vent line from the tank to the filler neck.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Wow that mishap must have made you puke. That is one good looking truck!
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Wow that was a sad mishap on the door. Was very sad. Beautiful truck indeed. Never thought about the bronco tank. Enough extra fuel and readily available. Very nice! :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
kentdaryl

Post by kentdaryl »

Lone Ranger wrote:Wow that mishap must have made you puke. That is one good looking truck!
Yeah it made me sick, but at least nobody got hurt.
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

:eek: Oh my!! That little mishap is painful to look at but like you said, at least nobody was hurt. Beautiful truck! Its nice to see another Highboy on here. I'm looking forward to seeing you freshen up the truck!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car