Freshening up my 1970 Sport Custom

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Freshening up my 1970 Sport Custom

Post by popeyes71 »

I had a 71' 2wd with factory power steering and a 390 in it and I don't remember the motor mount being notched. It's nice that when working on our projects; that something goes easier from what we thought it might be!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

SMH I will take dumb luck everyday of the week! :woohoo:
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
SMH1970

Post by SMH1970 »

popeyes71 wrote:I had a 71' 2wd with factory power steering and a 390 in it and I don't remember the motor mount being notched. It's nice that when working on our projects; that something goes easier from what we thought it might be!
hfdco4 wrote:SMH I will take dumb luck everyday of the week!
agreed - it was nice not to have to do that little job.

Brief update - Following the instructions in the Tech Articles section, I've been working on shortening the 3-on-the-tree steering column for much of the weekend, and think I have it figured out. :thup: Generally, things went according to the instructions, with a few minor modifications to the plan.

Adding the Saginaw box (in place of the old manual box) moves the whole steering column assembly about 2-1/2 inches into the cab. Here's what it looked like when I first installed the column. The shift arm was banging up against the firewall.
IMG_2493.jpg
With some adjustments to the retainer on the bottom of the steering shaft, I was able to slide the shift tube and column housing closer to the Saginaw steering box, and account for about half of the needed distance I need to adjust the column (about 1-1/4"). Therefore, it looks like I'll only have to cut about 1-1/4" off the shift tube and column housing. Since the steering shaft itself couldn't move anywhere, I'll have to cut the full 2-1/2" off it. Took lots of trial and error to confirm this. :hmm:

The 2-3 shift arm was still very close to the firewall, so I also notched the ledge/seam on the edge of the firewall to make more space (just in case). Here's what the notch looked like. I've since sealed and painted it.
IMG_2500.jpg
I may have to slightly bend the 2-3 shift arm, but it's actually looking OK for now. Worst case scenario, I may have to take a BFH to the firewall near the hole for the clutch linkage, to 'persuade' it to stay out of the way. I won't do this until I'm sure it is necessary. I'm also thinking of replacing the rag joint with a U-joint, which (I'm hoping) might also give me a little more space. If not, I'd rather have the U-joint anyway - seems a little more robust.

Here's what it looks like at this point.
IMG_2501.jpg
Since the engine and tranny are still out of the truck, I can't do any final testing or adjustments for a while, but once I get the column parts cut down to size, everything will be ready for the engine/tranny.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Steve
1970 F100 Sport Custom, 360 with 3 on-the-tree, No PS, no PB, no AC. Boxwood green / Wimbledon white.
Plans: power steering, power front disc brakes, clean and freshen from ground up.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

All your progress looks beautiful. Keep it up soon the whole truck will be done! :D
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).