Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post by Bullitt74 »

I've decided to start my build thread, as we actually got some work done on my old bump over the weekend.

Meet Smokey, a '72 F100 Ranger XLT that I've owned since 2002. I purchased it from the original owner for $900 in Saskatchewan, and it had very little rust. Unfortunately, nearly everything was worn out mechanically.

Here is a shot of when I brought it home to the farm:

The original owner's barn caught fire, and Smokey caught some of the heat and flames:

Apparently, when the original owner saw the blaze, he drove the truck away from the burning barn, and it sat on that spot on his acreage until the day I bought it (sorry, I don't have a photo of the truck on fire, but that would be cool, eh?) :lol:

After scrounging for some parts to replace the melted ones, fixing the brakes, carb, exhaust, all rubber in the engine bay (melted or turned to charcoal), tune-up and new gas tank, we limped it back to my home in Alberta. It was a big ordeal, and the 8 hour drive saw about 8 litres of oil, and having to blow out the in-line gas filter every hour due to bugs that clogged up the old gas lines. Once at home in Alberta, I chipped away with small improvements on the truck, but the engine was very tired, and blew a LOT of oil smoke, hence we affectionately named it 'Smokey'. However, it was an excellent work truck and saw me through many many construction and landscaping projects on my house and property. It also helped in moving 3-4 buddies around, multiple trips to Costco for stuff, etc etc for all the useful stuff trucks can do!

Smokey this fall:

A few years ago, my buddy Cody took on the powertrain. I might have been more brave in my younger years, but with a couple of kids I knew it would take up space in my garage forever, and I thought better left to a licensed mechanic. Cody outsourced the trans rebuild to a local shop, and found a rebuild 390 that he picked up for cheap at the local hot rod shop. Turns out, a fellow lost his mind when that shop installed a 390 instead of a 352 into his '65 Thunderbird, and he just wouldn't have it! Worked out in the end, as I was the recipient of a very good deal. A few years of Cody chipping away at the project resulted in a truck that was like new mechanically...but I was getting tired of the patina rust / scratched up look, so this fall I took action. I lined up a bodyshop who agreed to take it on, provided I pull all trim and interior off which seems more than fair.

So my brother came for a visit and helped me take Smokey apart. It was a fairly big job, but was a lot of fun to work with my brother again on a project. All parts were bagged and tagged, and I was amazed of how much fits in 4 Rubbermaid tubs...

So at this point, it is out of my hands! I am likely going with wind blue / wimbleton white combination. The cab and box will be pulled off, and the inner fenders/rad support blasted and repainted as well. The shop says it will be done by spring, so in the meantime, I will be polishing stainless and aluminum trim over the long Canadian winter, and a few other projects that I will keep track of on this thread. I hope you'll find it interesting!
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post by popeyes71 »

Nice truck and great story to go along with the truck! Good job on striping the truck in prep of paint. That drip rail trim can be very difficult to remove with out denting or bending it. Keep us posted on progress, "Smokey" is going to be smoken hot when she is finished!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Thanks for the kind words Popeye! I will certainly add to the thread as progress chugs along.

I contemplated taking off the drip rail (great advice here BTW: http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=85028 ), but I my bodyman agreed that he can pull it off no problem, and put it back on as well!
Steve F.
8)
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Bullit, thanks for the pictures & history.
I like to name my vehicles too.
Good luck.
Keep us posted.

I too have a 72 Ranger XLT short bed , it's name is Old Red.
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

:fr:
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Thanks for the kind words CrazyHorse!

Update:

Had a visit with my bodyman - now that the weather has warmed up a bit, he has been sandblasting and fixing rust as he goes along:

Starting with the doors - rust fixed on both bottom corners, plus waviness and dents I never knew about:
ImageImage

Fenders (rust fixed):
ImageImage

Tailgate still has pinholes that will need to be addressed:Image

That's it for now! I'm happy with the progress so far!

Cheers! :fr:
Steve F.
8)
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Bullitt, thanks for the updates.
Good to see you are making progress. :thup:

I hope everything goes as smooth as possible.
Good luck.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Great truck Steve, you can't beat an XLT. I miss my 72 bad. I lived in Caronport Sask for a few years and been over your way a few times. Good people up there. Can't wait to see your truck in color!
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Hi everyone - thought I'd post an update, and ask for some advice regarding seats.

Last summer, I found this seat out of a '94 F150, which is the 40/20/40 split buckets with fold down console. I would like the 3rd seat so my kids can ride along with me:

The console is pretty slick:

I was quoted a decent price for reupholstery - around $1000 Canadian to redo the seats and create some door panels for me. I planned to do black vinyl, possibly with white inserts with definitely white stitching. Here is an example of how good they can look with leather/vinyl instead of the 90's era cloth:Image

Using this seat will be a matter of zinging off the brackets designed for the '94 floor, and welding or bolting on the seat brackets from my original bench seat. Maybe not quite as simple as that, but I look forward to the challenge.

Oh yeah - the 40/20/40 seats have power bolsters, but I have a 2013 Ford Edge Sport, and never ever bother adjusting them.

The problem is, this seat STINKS like 2nd-hand cigarette smoke! I've had it outside on nice days, and in the garage all winter, and it still stinks. My wife is quite concerned about the smell and health hazard, and I'm worried that even with new upholstery, it will still stink. I've been toying with a second option, so let's call the '94 40/20/40 seats "Option #1".

Option #2 - these are some '68 Cougar seats I've picked up locally for $100. The frames and tracks are in good shape:

I was considering using the TMI Sport seat foams and vinyl:

I would also have to adapt the headrest kit from TMI, which although is not designed for the 68 buckets, it can be done with some fabrication.

So Option #2 would be frankenstein-ing together the 72 bench mounting brackets to the 40/20/40 seat frame (stay with me...), and also mount the '68 buckets to the 40/20/40 seat frame and have the centre console reupholstered to match. The 68 'stang buckets will mount to the 40/20/40 seat frame. The only thing I worry about is the TMI sport seats increase the height and width of the seats, and whether everything would physically fit together (I am leaving the gas tank in the cab).

Either way, I still will use the stinky centre console. The 68 buckets are quite nice, and has a bit more originality to them, as this is what was used in the bumps with factory buckets.

I'm leaning towards the stinky seats, and maybe applying some Febreeze to the foams once the skins are off, as this is a significantly cheaper option. Maybe I'm overthinking this whole deal. I really need to get my truck back from paint so I can stop dreaming up things to do and actually get to work on reassembly!

What are your thoughts? Option #1 or Option #2? :hmm:
Steve F.
8)
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Hey Steve I think you can still use the "stinky" seats. My folks have a machine that I believe is called an ionizer. It's a bit pricey but works fantastic. It will take the worst scent out of a car in a few hours. They ran it in their house when they first bought it cause the previous owners smoked so bad. It took all the smoke smell out. That console seat is sweet!
Kyle
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

machine that I believe is called an ionizer. It's a bit pricey but works fantastic. It will take the worst scent out of a car in a few hours.
Thanks Kyle for the advice! How would that look - should I build a 'tent' for the seat itself and let the ionizer run in the garage, or should I leave it run in the cab if it is still stinky once it is put together?

Just realized the irony of trying to get the smoke smell out of a truck I dubbed, "Smokey"... :doh:
Steve F.
8)
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

You could do the tent thing or just run the machine in your garage with the seat close. It would clean your whole garage. Sounds like a gimmick machine but it does work. We let a girl borrow it who's car stunk of cigarettes and she ran it in the car over night and it took care of it.

When do you find out about your trucks paint?
Kyle
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

Hey Bullitt.

Regarding the TMI Sport foams, yes they will raise the seat height. I'm using the OEM bucket brackets with 70 Mach 1 high backs (with TMI foams) which put the seat high so ya might fab up your own brackets. I'm not very tall and have short legs so my seating position prolly won't suit your stature. Second, the high backs get really close to the rear glass - low backs shouldn't be a problem even with the in-cab fuel tank.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Thanks Kyle and HIO for your responses,

I will look into the ionizer and find out if there is a good one somewhere in town that I can rent.

I'm hoping to get my truck back from paint in 2-3 months. The weather has been very cold here, and since he does his sandblasting outside, he has been working on collision stuff inside... :hmm:
Steve F.
8)
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

What color have you decided on? I'm partial to green :D
Kyle