Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post by Bullitt74 »

cdnwillyg wrote:Looks real nice Steve, :thup: how did your polishing machine work for you?
New shoes too, looks like the truck is getting white lettering or are you running the black-walls out?
Did you go with stock tire size?
How was your trip to the wreckers, find all the parts you needed?
Thanks Willy! More to come on the new shoes today when the wheel/rim fairy comes by (a surprise for you guys, but think "old school mags").

See my last post on the previous page for the polishing update.

The wrecker was a bust, as it was bitterly cold that week in Saskatchewan (-20 deg C + wind chill). I drove by on the way home and did some scoping from the road, and found at least two bumps...one was a 67 F100 long bed, and the aluminum grille appears to be just sitting loose on top of the hood. Might be a score for someone local looking for one of those. The other was a 70-72 Sport Custom long bed (only able to get a side view) that looks modestly picked (no mirrors). In addition, there was an entire row of dentsides. There looks to be at least 1000 wrecks on that property, so I would imagine there are more bumps in that yard waiting to be found.
Last edited by Bullitt74 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

1000?! You should start looking for mercs and crews
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Too bad on the wreckers. So there seems to be a lot of fairies coming your way these days....are they taking on new clients to supply those nice parts?
Looks like you will have sometime this weekend as it looks like you will be snowed in with over a foot of snow! :lol: It missed us up here for now anyhow none at all! :lol:
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

cdnwillyg wrote:Too bad on the wreckers. So there seems to be a lot of fairies coming your way these days....are they taking on new clients to supply those nice parts?
Looks like you will have sometime this weekend as it looks like you will be snowed in with over a foot of snow! :lol: It missed us up here for now anyhow none at all! :lol:
Yup, the JD Snowthrower is going to get some use this weekend for sure!
Steve F.
8)
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Chipping away at a few small jobs, as I don’t have many blocks of free time lately... :o

These are the offshore wheel lip trim pieces from LMC. The fit was pretty good. Some careful bending to get them to suck up tight to the body, and had to drill 1-2 new holes for each one. A bit cheaper than the DC ones.

A lot of fun reaming out holes that were painted over...also shaved a layer of skin off my thumb with the drip rail trim and opening the door from the pillar...

Painted the tailgate latches with some Silver Cad paint from Eastwood. I know the paint won’t last, but cheaper than new ones and offers some corrosion protection.
Steve F.
8)
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Seat update:

So I’ve decided after test fitting the jumpseat...I hate these seats. I hate them so much.

The seat platform has to be moved forward a great deal forward due to the jumpseat, which will make fabrication of brackets an extreme PITA. At the end of the day, I’ll never be happy with the look, so I’m going to cut bait and not pour any more $$ or energy into them, and dump them ($850 CAD if anyone is interested).

Discussed with my wife, and while our kids are small, we’re going back to the old bench. So far, this is the only major request she’s had with this build, so I think it is important so listen to that. The foam is in excellent shape, to it just needs a new skin. I have a great idea for the design, which I’ll share when it’s done (think: if Porsche designed a seat for Ford back in the 70’s).

I’m keeping the Cougar buckets, and when my kids are grown and don’t want to ride with Dad anymore, I’ll probably put them in and convert to a 2-seater with an console (a la HIO Silver’s design).
Steve F.
8)
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Steve great to see some pics of your truck! :thup: I like the wheel well trim, I have it as well but am concerned with the belt and lower chrome trim may be to much for my truck.
I see you joined the world of hurt as well...make sure no blood gets on your new paint job!! :lol:
I have to agree with you on your seats, they seem a little to busy for these trucks. The wife's idea of the bench seat I think will be awesome in your truck and look more correct. :2cents: Plus the bonus points are always good to have!
Keep us posted as you but this truck together :pop:
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

cdnwillyg wrote:Steve great to see some pics of your truck! :thup: I like the wheel well trim, I have it as well but am concerned with the belt and lower chrome trim may be to much for my truck.
I see you joined the world of hurt as well...make sure no blood gets on your new paint job!! :lol:
I have to agree with you on your seats, they seem a little to busy for these trucks. The wife's idea of the bench seat I think will be awesome in your truck and look more correct. :2cents: Plus the bonus points are always good to have!
Keep us posted as you but this truck together :pop:
Can never have enough chrome on these old girls! :wink:

Between the thumb injury and botched seat plan, there’s the blood and tears respectively...Lord knows I have more than enough sweat into this project! :lol:

Thanks for the kind words Willy!
Steve F.
8)
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Okay guys - wheel update...

Before...

After...

I was going to go with ‘94 F150 chrome rims and use my old 235/75/R15’s, but after 16 years they developed dry cracking between the treads. As new tires were needed, I decided to pull the trigger on the wheel and tire combo I wanted for a long time.

Specs:
- front: Torq thrust Vintage 15x7” with BFG Radial T/A 235/70/R15
- rear: Torq thrust Vintage 15x8.5” with BFG Radial T/A 275/60/R15

Purchased the rims from Jegs, as they had the best price with shipping. Will definitely do business with them again.

Like I said earlier, old school mags.

Steve F.
8)
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

OH THAT IS PERFECT!!! :thup: :thup: :thup:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Very nice Steve great choice. :thup: :thup: Truck sure is looking pristine!! Keep it up! :woohoo:
Marccustom

Post by Marccustom »

Oh my the wheel choice and colours are perfect
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Wow, the XLT trim is a lot of work to install...there was a bit of :cuss: involved...

The cab is sitting high with the new mounting hardware...wondering if I should shim up the bed by sacrificing/slicing a few hockey pucks?
Steve F.
8)
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Wow! you sure aren't wasting anytime on putting her together! Looking awesome. Must be putting a grin on your face each step of the way! :D
I need to ask what was the frustrating part of putting your trim on? :hmm:
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

cdnwillyg wrote:Wow! you sure aren't wasting anytime on putting her together! Looking awesome. Must be putting a grin on your face each step of the way! :D
I need to ask what was the frustrating part of putting your trim on? :hmm:
For the most part, it is pretty fun getting it together. The part that was a PITA was the furthest rear upper XLT trim piece. It needs 4 rubber moulding fasteners, that are generally un-co-operative if the hole is too small due to the repainting process:

http://dennis-carpenter.com/moulding-fa ... 9291B80-A/

If I forced them through the hole that is too small, the metal threaded sleeves embedded in the rubber would be crushed, rendering them useless. It took 7 out of 8 fasteners provided to just do the one side. :cry: Oh well...live and learn.

Also, that rear XLT trim piece didn't line up well with the 8' section piece :x , which was true with the old factory pieces as well (ie: not a flaw of the DC reproduction pieces). It is obvious Ford didn't have the strict tolerances for such things back then as they do now.
Steve F.
8)