'67 Crew Cab 4wd Diesel Build

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

DieselS10

'67 Crew Cab 4wd Diesel Build

Post by DieselS10 »

Hello all, I'm jumping the gun here a little as it will be a while before I start this little undertaking, but I've got most of my parts gathered up so here goes.

History. When I was 13 years old my dad tried to buy a beautiful baby blue and white 4wd 3/4 ton single cab long bed '71 that I absolutely loved. Needless to say they couldn't get to an agreed price on it, so it never came home with us. That set the hook, then about 15 years ago I spotted the first bumpside crew that I had ever seen and I knew I had to have one someday.

So now I have acquired my very own '67 crew, problem is that it's a motorhome with the rear of the cab cut out. This ended up being a good thing though, because it gives me a reason to do what I thought they needed all along. Instead of just replacing the missing portion, I'm going to replace the entire rear of the cab and floor from another cab and move it rearward far enough to use front doors for rear doors, adding 9¾" to the cab length and dropping the floor in the rear seat area like the front floorboards. Then I'll replace the front upper corner of the new rear doors with that section from the original rear doors. This will give it modern crew cab interior space. Then I'll mount a longbed behind it.

I've already got almost everything to build it including a 2000 Dodge 3500 eclb frame that will be the base for the build, but I'll have to add about 20" under the cab area and then drop the rear section about four inches to keep the frame tucked up for a factory look. I've got another ecsb Dodge frame for the donor sections. I've got a '95 12 valve Cummins with 140k, a 2000 model Dodge NV4500 and a 241DHD transfer case along with a 2002 disc brake Dana 80 rear axle from a cab and chassis Dodge for the rear. I'll use the stock Dodge front Dana 60 and Dodge suspension for the first phase of the build, but it will be replaced with a custom 4 link setup front and rear using medium duty airbags similar to my S10, and I'll swap in the '79 F350 SRW king pin Dana 60 front axle I've got for it then also. After driving the my little S10 for so many years with the air ride it has spoiled me... I've also got a Jacobs exhaust brake that'll go on it and 4" exhaust. Oh and a set of the old turbine 16.5 aluminum wheels like on the General Lee that'll let me run the ultra cheap military 37's on it.

I'm hoping to be able to get started on the frame around the first of the year. I'll get it lengthened and lower the rear section 4 inches, all of the body mounts removed and ready for the swap, but I won't be able to start on the cab mods until I get finished with paint and body on my father in law's '55 Chevy wagon. Hopefully around February on wrapping it up.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. Here are a few pics.

As I found it.

The donor cab/doors/floor/bed.

Here's a one off aluminum camper I got for it that was made by a man that worked at American Airlines back in the day.

The donor frame.

And my wheels!

This is what happened to the bus I got the 12 valve from and my poor little S10....I know... But we had to relocate it 500 miles away after I yanked the engine so I had to improvise.
Ranchero50

Re: '67 Crew Cab 4wd Diesel Build

Post by Ranchero50 »

Sounds like an interesting project. Personally I'd stick with the Ford frame and lop the 2wd cross member out for a home built 4x4 one and extend that frame vs. deal with the Dodge frame. Plus you won't hear the condescending 'Ford body on a Dodge frame to get a Cummins swap' crap. Seems like it would be simpler too since you are going straight axle up front.

If the NV uses a hydraulic clutch you'll need to reinforce the firewall as it flexes a lot with the Ford setup I was tinkering with.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Petewrench

Post by Petewrench »

I'm diggin' the School Bus Towing apparatus! This ought to be an interesting Build! :pop: :pop: :pop:
"WARNING! Being Hit with The "Brick Of Life", is just a hint that you are about to be run over by the "Boulder Of Being"!"
:bdh: :hn: :rant: :wf: :drive:
1967 F-100 Base Long bed. 390 4Bbl, NP435 4Spd, Manual Steering, Manual Brakes, A/C. (BlueBeast).FOR SALE-NOT!
1967 F-350 C&C, 159"WB.(Donor Truck)
1967 Mercury Cougar Standard. 5.0 HO, RUG-E 4 Speed, Factory Triple Black, Console Car.(SOLD)
DieselS10

Post by DieselS10 »

Ranchero50,
Thanks for the heads up on the firewall bracing, as it is hydraulic.

As far as the frame goes, I hear you on the Ford guys whining about it being on a Dodge chassis and I've thought a lot about the frame situation to the point of just building one from scratch. There are a few reasons I don't really want to use the factory frame, one being how far they've came with modern frame strength vs the old stuff, the Cummins will see some moderate power mods and the truck will be worked between hauling duties and expedition type trips that don't require overly aggressive wheeling, that's where the S10 shines. We took it on a 6,550 mile trip this summer and ran the Rubicon trail in it mid trip.

Second, rear seat comfort is very important on this build. Friends, my boys and I frequently go on these several thousand miles trips, so I want to make the rear seat foot wells as deep and long as the fronts are, but the stock frame immediately begins traveling upward at the front of the front seat, so I would also have to deal with that area of the original. The Dodge frame runs flat under the seat area for the front and rear seats for all but about 20 inches of what I'll need after extending the cab, so after extending the frame to the wheelbase it'll need, in that low flat area, it will allow the low floor boards in the rear as well.

And last is the obvious, it already has a usable (until I go air) suspension setup front and rear with good axles, the correct steering box, the drivetrain I'm using bolts right in and it's a good platform, D#*@e or not, lol. Hopefully that makes it a little clearer on why I want to go that route.

I noticed you have a Cummins powered crew in your Sig, do you have a build thread on it? If sure like to read through it if you do.
DieselS10

Post by DieselS10 »

Petewrench wrote:I'm diggin' the School Bus Towing apparatus! This ought to be an interesting Build! :pop: :pop: :pop:
That had to be the most redneck/hillbilly thing I've ever done, but it worked, lol...
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

sounds rad. looking forward to seeing your project! 8)
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

DieselS10 wrote:Ranchero50, I noticed you have a Cummins powered crew in your Sig, do you have a build thread on it? If sure like to read through it if you do.
Actually two, the first was a 71 F-250 6.9 idi that morphed into a F-350 6BT.
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=48572

hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

I am a diehard Ford guy and see no problem with using the Dodge frame. It still has Dana axles and a Cummins engine so what is the difference. Can't wait to see your progress.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Sounds like a great build! I'll be watching this one. Looking forward to the progress!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
DieselS10

Post by DieselS10 »

I haven't actually began working on it yet, but I'm still making a little progress. I had to go pick up a forklift I bought from a friend today and already had the trailer hooked up, so I decided to take him up on his offer to use his high pressure steam cleaner to see if the old Cummins was really under all the grease. Now I want a steam pressure washer....

I also made a purchase last week that has me considering another option on the '67 build... I got a smoking deal and purchased a perfectly functioning '05 Allison 1000 5 speed that I'm kinda kicking around puting behind the 12 valve. It would require a standalone, but it sure would be nice to just throw it in drive and go... Thoughts between the NV4500 vs the Allison?
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I love my auto for basic running but it's a bummer when I want to smoke it or do other dumb stuff. I'd at least look into the stand alone costs and see if it's viable.

Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

I've always thought cummins with an Allison would be the best of both worlds.
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Any updates?
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Watching this one too got some great parts should be a fun build. :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
DieselS10

Post by DieselS10 »

I haven't made any more progress yet, but don't give up on me. I've got to finish doing the paint and body work on my father in laws '55 Chevy wagon before I go to work on the crew. Bare with me, it will be done.

I have continued to sell parts off of all of the stuff it took to get the parts together and I'm down to having a grand total of $774 out of pocket in everything, including the crew, to build it.