69' 4.6 DOHC CV on air

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Egan_gt

69' 4.6 DOHC CV on air

Post by Egan_gt »

So, I thought it was about time that I would start a build thread. I bought a 69 F100 last summer about 2 miles from my house. The previous owner had bought it earlier that summer and I told him if he ever wanted to part with it I would be the first in line. So the end of summer came and I got the phone call, about a half hour later I was there with a trailer to pick it up. He had already started to disassemble by pulling the front clip, engine, and transmission. So, I picked it up and got it home and that afternoon started stripping it down. I made a little progress last winter but I had a motorcycle project that took up most of my play money. I recently just started working on it again and hope to have it done by spring.

This would be the day that I had picked it up.. I'm in Minnesota and the truck has been here all it's life so I was really surprised how decent the body was.

After getting the interior pulled out I ended up finding a little rot but no where near as bad as what it could have been.

I found this little gem tucked in the bottom corner.

I built a little cart for the cab and put the box on some furniture dollies then tucked it aside until I started working on it.

I'll keep posting more pics when I have time. I am just glad I got a thread going. I've always been nervous to make one but I figured give it a shot. Maybe I can get some pointers now that people can see the project. Thanks for checking it out.
Last edited by Egan_gt on Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egan_gt

Re: 69' 4.6 DOHC CV on air

Post by Egan_gt »

So I am kind of a noob here. Is there a good place to save my photos. I am using my Amazon account now and I can't seem to post the photo so it shows up without having to click the link. Thanks
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Photobucket works well if you have an ad blocker installed on Chrome. without the ad blocker it was getting difficult to copy the link. Once copied, click the IMG icon above your post and insert the link between the bracketed code.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Egan_gt

Post by Egan_gt »

Ranchero50 wrote:Photobucket works well if you have an ad blocker installed on Chrome. without the ad blocker it was getting difficult to copy the link. Once copied, click the IMG icon above your post and insert the link between the bracketed code.
Perfect, I will give that a shot. Thank you
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Egan , congratulations on the 69.
I hope all goes well.

Welcome to the best site period.
Hope you like it here.
Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

In your photos , I notice a '85-'86 Mustang -- would you shed some information on it? :pray:
I like Ford Mustangs & Ford trucks. :thup:
Egan_gt

Post by Egan_gt »

crazyhorse wrote:Mr Egan , congratulations on the 69.
I hope all goes well.

Welcome to the best site period.
Hope you like it here.
Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

In your photos , I notice a '85-'86 Mustang -- would you shed some information on it? :pray:
I like Ford Mustangs & Ford trucks. :thup:
The Mustang. You were right on the money, it is a 86 GT t top car. I bought the car my senior year in high school and have had it ever since. It was a one owner and they took great care of it. We have nasty winters here in Minnesota and it was stored every one of them and still is. You will not find a spec of rust on or under it. Over the years I've done a few things to it. It has a 347 with AFR heads, custom cam by Flowtech Induction, Holley Systemax, and all the other add ons. On the rollers in put down just shy of 400 hp to the wheels. Being naturally aspirated I was pretty happy with the numbers. I have always thought of redoing the combo and going forced induction of some sorts and then slapping that engine in a 74 Bronco I've had for a few years now. My eyes are focused on the F100 though and with fingers crossed I will have it done by spring.
Egan_gt

Post by Egan_gt »

I figured I'd get a few more pics of the build up. A lot of the photos are from last summer when I started the whole process. So I will just throw a few up here and there with the stages of it.
After the body was off I got to working on stripping down the frame for sandblast.

And then it was time to start mocking up the CV front. With the available resources on here it made the job that much easier.

Then I decided to put a small c notch in. At that time I did not have any plans of putting it on air and from the measurements I have now I am going to have to make that c just a bit bigger.
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Egan, thanks for the information on the Mustang .
I like Ford trucks & Mustangs.
They give us lots of pleasure & enjoyment. :D
I enjoy your information & photos.
Thanks again.
Egan_gt

Post by Egan_gt »

Well it has been a few days so I thought i would throw a few more pics up. I have no clue where you guys get the time to make these great build threads. I'm sitting at work right typing this up and thinking to myself on how there is no way I would have time to do this if I was at home. So I give props to you guys that are able to keep up on a daily basis.

So I left off with getting the c notches in and the CV hardware welded up. I then moved on to getting the CV installed for mock up. I was surprised how well it ended up working put. Measure 8 million times and cut once I guess.

Then in the midst of working on the truck I picked up a 1994 Lincoln Mark Viii. I found it at a local salvage yard and for the price of $300 it was mine. The owner of the yard even towed it to my house and backed it right into the garage and I threw the stands under it. After I gutted I gave him a call and he came right back and picked it up. I guess that is one of the small perks of living in a small town.

So got that all pulled along with a miles worth of wire out of the car. Boy was that a chore! I then moved on to setting it between the frame rails. I bought a set of Crown Victoria engine mounts with a tiny little notch out of each they bolted right up.

As you can see in the previous pic I ended up getting the rear end installed as well. It is an 8.8 out of an Explorer with 3.73's and a limited slip. Should be a good little cruiser behind the 4R70W. I pulled the leafs apart a and sprayed them and put all new bushings in. Wish I would have known then I was going to 4 link it. Then I wouldn't have had to go through the trouble of getting the old bushings out. Those were a pain!

I also had got my tank frame made. Picked up a tank for a 1970 Mustang off of Amazon. Thanks to all the great write ups on here I was able to get that installed in no time.

After that was all said and done I picked up a gallon of satin black Chassis Saver and got to coating the frame and components. I used the gloss black Chassis Saver on my Bronco build and I think I prefer the satin over the gloss.
nathankershaw

Post by nathankershaw »

Damn fine work.

Looks great!
yarko

Post by yarko »

im super excited to see your build. its basically exactly how i want my truck.I have a cv ifs already installed in my 67. I have a 95 mark viii half torn apart in my garage. i have the engine out and am starting on removing the wiring. id love to know more about how you did the wiring on yours. any wiring links that you know of would be greatly appreciated. keep up the great work! Im totally subscribed!
Egan_gt

Post by Egan_gt »

yarko wrote:im super excited to see your build. its basically exactly how i want my truck.I have a cv ifs already installed in my 67. I have a 95 mark viii half torn apart in my garage. i have the engine out and am starting on removing the wiring. id love to know more about how you did the wiring on yours. any wiring links that you know of would be greatly appreciated. keep up the great work! Im totally subscribed!
I tore all the wiring out front to back. A few key things to make sure you have is the wiring that runs back to the fuel pump and inertia switch along with the wiring to the transmission and the overdrive switch wiring. Since you have a 95 you won't have to worry about the PATS. Also there is a starter kill wiring that has a relay and cant be rewired to run the engine. Then there is a way to rewire the system so the factory computer can control the fuel pump. I deleted the VCRM which controls I believe the fans, fuel pump and A/C system. All which can be rewired to still work. Just one less module to deal with. I started dissecting my harness the other week and removed about 75% of it that wont be needed. I was going to run a tank from Tanks Inc which is set up for fuel injection, but when I had called the tank was on backorder. I ended up with a tank from a 70 Mustang and I am going to run an Aeromotive Phantom pump. There is a ton of good info on Modularfords.com for a 4.6 DOHC swap and about dieting the harness. They say to pic up the EVTM which is the electrical and vacuum wiring book. I have access to AllData and Mitchell so I just use that to reference all the wiring diagrams. Or if you don't want to mess with all the factory wiring Ron Francis has a complete plug and play kit. Here's the link. https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MK-93
I couldn't see dishing out almost a grand for a harness so I stuck with the factory harness. I have more time than money so I thought I'd challenge myself to make the stock harness work. As of last week I had the engine cranking with the F100 key. That right there was a huge step.

I have a ton more pictures to put up as most of these so far are from last year. Anyway, let me know if you need any other info.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Very cool build so far, man! I'll be watching your build with interest! 8)
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
yarko

Post by yarko »

Egan_gt wrote:
yarko wrote:im super excited to see your build. its basically exactly how i want my truck.I have a cv ifs already installed in my 67. I have a 95 mark viii half torn apart in my garage. i have the engine out and am starting on removing the wiring. id love to know more about how you did the wiring on yours. any wiring links that you know of would be greatly appreciated. keep up the great work! Im totally subscribed!
I tore all the wiring out front to back. A few key things to make sure you have is the wiring that runs back to the fuel pump and inertia switch along with the wiring to the transmission and the overdrive switch wiring. Since you have a 95 you won't have to worry about the PATS. Also there is a starter kill wiring that has a relay and cant be rewired to run the engine. Then there is a way to rewire the system so the factory computer can control the fuel pump. I deleted the VCRM which controls I believe the fans, fuel pump and A/C system. All which can be rewired to still work. Just one less module to deal with. I started dissecting my harness the other week and removed about 75% of it that wont be needed. I was going to run a tank from Tanks Inc which is set up for fuel injection, but when I had called the tank was on backorder. I ended up with a tank from a 70 Mustang and I am going to run an Aeromotive Phantom pump. There is a ton of good info on Modularfords.com for a 4.6 DOHC swap and about dieting the harness. They say to pic up the EVTM which is the electrical and vacuum wiring book. I have access to AllData and Mitchell so I just use that to reference all the wiring diagrams. Or if you don't want to mess with all the factory wiring Ron Francis has a complete plug and play kit. Here's the link. https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MK-93
I couldn't see dishing out almost a grand for a harness so I stuck with the factory harness. I have more time than money so I thought I'd challenge myself to make the stock harness work. As of last week I had the engine cranking with the F100 key. That right there was a huge step.

I have a ton more pictures to put up as most of these so far are from last year. Anyway, let me know if you need any other info.

I'm with you. As nice as it would be to have the Ron Francis harness, I simply can't afford it and I have time. Lol. I'm in the process of removing the harness now. When you say to remove the over drive wiring, is that the wiring to the switch on the shifter? I'm a beginner here so please have patience with me. Haha
yarko

Post by yarko »

I've read that the factory key may not work because of it being too simple of an ignition. I read that the mark viii ignition is needed??