Seapine - 1972 F350 flatbed build

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Re: Seapine - 1972 F350 flatbed build

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

Looking Great! Keep it up! :thup:
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Great job!!!!!!!!!!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

hfdco4 wrote:Great job!!!!!!!!!!
Wilfred of Ivanhoe wrote:Looking Great! Keep it up! :thup:
thanks guys! making solid progress...

front clip work update today!
sandblasted the inner fenders and rad support for patch repair and repaint.
decided after seeing the work hackster did on his builds that i want to keep the engine compartment as clean as possible even though mine is just a work truck. going to spray the inner fenders green like the body. redoing most of the electrical around the engine anyway so it seems like now or never for sorting out the engine compartment... thanks sean for the inspo :thup:

biggest repair spot on the whole truck was the rusted out hole under the battery. cut that area out o good metal and will patch back.

also doing some items around the front end while access is easy. And checking through the brakes which wasn't originally on my to-do list but clearly should have been. thanks Rancho50!
Ranchero50 wrote:While the engine is out is the time and make sure you hard lines are in good shape. My brake light stayed on and it was a bear to get the differential valve apart behind the steering box.

lots of wiring clean-up to do next (which i really don't enjoy), but the sanderson ceramic coated headers going on shortly will keep me smiling :D
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

ok man wait til you see these :hd:
sanderson FF427 ceramic coated headers are one of the upgrades i have been most excited about.
here is a really good link as to why headers on the fe engine is a no brainer upgrade.
http://www.fordfe.info/Exhaust/Exhaust.htm

so i checked with sanderson direct on the phone to make sure i was doing the gasketless procedure correctly...
copper high-temp gasket maker and overnight or "as long as you can but the longer the better... full cure" was their direction.
put the sealer on and planned a 24hr cure.

more work on the inner fenders while headers were curing...
trimed and welded in patch panel plus welded up the multitude of holes in the fender.

then prime and get ready for paint...

then clean up some of the engine bay wiring. thanks to BobbyFord for the alternator upgrade posts.
planning a 1-wire 160A alt so out with all the voltage reg mess.
lots to trim out and get ready for relocation back to the side frame toolbox.

but wont finish that right away. finaly got these headers on!

so happy with how these turned out. good clearance, good looks, and i'm sure good performance.
can't wait to get te new exhaust installed. duals with an H crossover and twin Flowmaster 40 series mufflers :D
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

more progress...
took Seapine down to get the exhaust hung at a local place with a lift and the mufflers. showed them where i wanted the H crossover and where to dump the tubes out the sides in front of the rear tires. should be picking her back up day after next with the exhaust work finished...

meanwhile, freshening up the radiator

and trying to get the front clip ready to go back on.
prepped and taped and got the inners and rad support coated with black epoxy.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

Keeps looking better all the time! Perhaps I misread, but did you say you welded the fender holes or just the inner fender holes. The reason I ask, is are you ditching the fat side chrome that was on the truck? If so, I might be interested in buying it off of you. If not, no worries. It would look fantastic on your truck too.
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

Wilfred of Ivanhoe wrote:Keeps looking better all the time! Perhaps I misread, but did you say you welded the fender holes or just the inner fender holes. The reason I ask, is are you ditching the fat side chrome that was on the truck? If so, I might be interested in buying it off of you. If not, no worries. It would look fantastic on your truck too.
thanks wilfred! welded up holes on outer and inners. unfortunately the wide trim was beyond saving or i would have gladly donated it to a fellow member. donated/sold a few other odds and ends off the truck, but most of what left at this point is staying. have a pile of badges and misc that will sort out when i'm done the majority of the work.

here are some pics of the now clean and seapine green inner fenders!

also painted the replacement metal door skins i picked up so they match the interior.
pretty excited by how close the color match is to the original interior existing paint.

hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Amazing work!!!!! :thup:
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

hfdco4 wrote:Amazing work!!!!! :thup:
thanks. bit off a lot at once in this step but made good progress.
got so busy that i haven't posted in a bit.
but here's a brief update!

dual 2.5" exhaust with flowmaster series 40 muffles turned out just before the rear wheels all finished.
went through and painted it all high temp black from the collectors back to help protect things. but now can't get a good picture.
it's all black under there :lol: will get some pictures once i pull the flatbed back off for painting.

then got to work up front in the engine area. trying to finish as much as possible before the front clip is back on.
new 160A one wire alt fron quality power and sagnaw steering pump w conv kit from benchwork steering systems.
had to do some customizing on the bracket spacers and resized belts (needed new anyway) but turned out great!

the high amp alt is to support dual napa 7236 commercial batteries and electrical setup going in the underbed toolbox.
setup will be running a winch, extra lights, plus power to a travel trailer.

and then got back to more wiring :doh: crimp, solder, and heat shrink every connection.
replaced the wires out the center firewall for the engine.

then cleaned up charging and starting wires and lengthened for runs to toolbox.

67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

8) nice work
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Nice paint work. :thup:
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Very cool to see a dually!! Excellent work

Barry
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

I noticed in one of the pictures that your drivers side rotor looks worse for wear. The front side seems a little thin there. What are you plans for the brakes? Are you going to replace rotors or see if they can be cleaned up? Tires also look like they need to be replaced as well. You going to upgrade from 16.5s to 16s for better tire availability.

You are making great progress. :thup:
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

Merry christmas and thanks guys for all the support!
IN2FORD wrote:Very cool to see a dually!! Excellent work Barry
67mann wrote:8) nice work
hfdco4 wrote:I noticed in one of the pictures that your drivers side rotor looks worse for wear. The front side seems a little thin there. What are you plans for the brakes? Are you going to replace rotors or see if they can be cleaned up? Tires also look like they need to be replaced as well. You going to upgrade from 16.5s to 16s for better tire availability.
You are making great progress. :thup:
Great eye hfdco4. Yeah rotors are beyond turning so i'm making plans for brake work all around while i drive her short distances to work and around town. Truck came w 16" split rims which i believe are stock for the dually so already have a deal on new 235/85-16 from the only shop in town that actually knows how to change split rims. Hopefully upgraded steel wheels in the future but will have to do for now.

But... finally have a few minutes for an update on getting the truck back running after all that work! Here are some pictures!

Front clip went back on with minimal issue and lined up nicely. Some fiddling with the hood mount but got the panels to line up well.

Ran all the wires back down the frame rail to the side box

Temp wired up the harness running back to the rear of the truck for tail light and towing

Set up the battery, mega fuse, relays, and starter solenoid

So finally back up and running :hd:
Still lots of wiring work to do along with a solid list of other body work and then interior work, but happy to have crossed this hurdle.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Looking good!! How are you connecting your wires? You had said earlier that you were crimping them and then soldering and heat shrinking. What do you crimp them with before soldering?
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle