"Hunter"...A 1972 f350 in the making.....

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

freaknajeep

"Hunter"...A 1972 f350 in the making.....

Post by freaknajeep »

Hi!...Names Oliver....Im new...DUH...OK first I will start by saying these are prolly the only sentences where I will use correct spelling, capitalization, and or punctuation...well now that i got that out the way, how is erbody?...

Soooo anyways I am the proud owner of a 1972 ford f350 custom 1ton dually, with a farm bed(being as these were cab chassis trucks only)...I bought it about 5 years ago for $1000 and drove it for 2 before parking it and removing the engine for a rebuild...its a 390/4barrel/4spd w/g-low truck dana70 rear w/373:1 gearing, power all drum braking...was running fine except when going up a grade with my triaxle gooseneck trailer it would rattle and ping...truck was a canadian built model and the color code is k but its the boxwood green, instead of prairie yellow...Ill get on to uploading some pics in the next couple days...when i got it the grill shell was hazy and slightly mangled on the pass front corner as the prior owner clipped something just hard enuff to give the dent side relief a slight ripple(character) but not hard enuff I feel if need replacing as of yet..I spent a day gently massaging the grill shell and headlight trim back into shape and then painted everything a med. almond color and then the inserts hunter green...still looks decent even tho its been 5 years...so movin on...The engine...block-punched .60 over, sealed power pistons n bearings, hasting rings, edlebrock lifters/valve springs/true roller timing set/.292 single pattern hydraulic lifter cam/ heads-3angle valve job hardened seats stainless valves(blah blah blah)...factory 400lb back breaker intake manifold...holley 750 w holley red fuel pump, gm style hei distributor...stainless shorty block hugger headers(cause steering box is behind k-member)...was getting ready to send to to exhaust shop, but ran into some major snaggage when attempting to replace the cab bushings...basicly resulting in the parts i will be ordering in the morning...being floor pans and cab mounts...floors had a few pinholes but not bad really, but drivers side cab mount tho it looks ok is gone...passenger is decent but frame mount needs to be fixed, so looks like cab is coming off, and im gonna just do both side and get it over with...so there ya have it..my current project...and just for the record, my offroad only toy "1971 mail jeep on 44" tractor tires" has an all ford drivetrain so dont be hatin on my name...lol...well that is all for now...will try and get on some pics here after a while :loco:
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: "Hunter"...A 1972 f350 in the making.....

Post by basketcase0302 »

Welcome Oliver,
And first I have to say...
:nopix:

Dually's rock and get the work done. Be missing this one that I spent 8 years building.

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/basket ... et%20build

Pull up a chair and ask away as you'll find no better resource for that truck than right here on Fordification.
:fr:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Ditto on the pics. I love my dually. Even with it's bumps and bruises it gets plenty of looks and just plain runs really well while doing whatever I need done.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

:wel: from San Diego.

Nice to see another DRW bump on Fordification :D

1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

ok so here are a few pics to start...however my hosting site seems to be down sooo....but the jeep is really a ford..lol...400m/c6/205/holley 750...hp44 front dana61 rear...yes i said 61...anyways more to come....stay tuned
trailer n truck....
71 ford powered postal jeep
size comparison
flexin...
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

well floor pans and cab mounts are ordered...now begins the waiting game :roll:
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

a couple quick pics of the fresh built 390...

dont be hatin Just couldnt bear the thought of a blue engine off in the boxwood green engine bay...
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Nice work indeed!
Do I spy a right hand drive in the postal jeep?
Drove one years ago on the streets in a postal truck turned snowball truck. :thup:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

yeah! more drw bumps :thup:
and a green one at that. looking great man. working on a very similar project.
need to get my thread going so we have more duallies in this project section.
keep up the great work. actually like the engine color. same prob for my green truck but went w black block...
dig the jeep too. cheers!
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

basketcase0302 wrote:Nice work indeed!
Do I spy a right hand drive in the postal jeep?
Drove one years ago on the streets in a postal truck turned snowball truck. :thup:
thank you, and yes being as steering is full hydro I kept it right hand drive...I found the poor lil mail jeep sitting all neglected and rotting away next to a carlot...it had no floors, and the entire drivetrain was shot...taking what was left of my 78 ford bronco and a few other items i had laying around I brought it back to life over the course of 3.5 years...but that build is on jeep forums...lol :D
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

SeapineF37 wrote:yeah! more drw bumps :thup:
and a green one at that. looking great man. working on a very similar project.
need to get my thread going so we have more duallies in this project section.
keep up the great work. actually like the engine color. same prob for my green truck but went w black block...
dig the jeep too. cheers!
thank you...I plan on keeping the green, had given some thought to going white with roof but that still remains to be determined...was really hoping id be getting her back from the exhaust shop this week instead of waiting on and having to do the floor pans and cab mounts... :cry: ...soon as I can get the front clip rehung and radiator mounted I can finally fire up the engine for the first time... :woohoo: ...got quoted $160 to get exhaust installed if the front clip is off other wise they want $225 :hmm: ...sooo..anyways...thats about it for now
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

They don't have to crawl on the floor and have two sets of hands with the front clip off LOL!
I love...the idea of a white roof, (especially living here in the South where we boil eggs on our hoods for breakfast)! :thup:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

well I am anxiously awaiting the ups man...the new floor pans and cab mounts are scheduled for delivery today..woot woot...Have decided that since I am having to go with the el-cheapo cab mounts for the time being as I need the truck back on the road asap and budget is starting to run out, Im just going to cut away the bad sections of original mounts, and graft only as much of the el-cheapo stuff as needed...Reason being I fully plan on doing a for real cab off frame resto here in a year or so, and would like to be able to put the correct cab mounts in the original position once that occurs...anyways hope to being a lil marking and cutting before the day is out...and thats about it for now...cheers
freaknajeep

Post by freaknajeep »

so...as i was sitting there staring at the ford whilst drinking a cold one i got to thinking...other than a few tiny pinholes the body is rust free and the paint while not super isnt nasty...there a few nice spots of patina where the paint was washed to death on the high points, so i had this thought....what if i color sanded the whole thing with like some 800-1000 grit to remove all oxidation, and the shot the entire thing with a matte finish clear coat...after fixing and blending the few pinholes...just a thought....idk..I just really like my color... :hmm: