Rough SWB or clean LWB for project?

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

michael9218

Rough SWB or clean LWB for project?

Post by michael9218 »

As I’ve begun to search for a bumpside project truck, I’m finding it very difficult to find rot/rust free shortbed trucks. I’m seeing more longbed trucks for sale and many appear to be in much better shape than the shortbeds. Plus the longbeds fetch a lower price.

So I ask the question: Am I better off dealing with a LWB to SWB conversion instead of fixing rot?

My plan for this truck is a restomod where I will be learning to skin the sheet metal for things such as fuel tank relocation, possible side bed filler door, dash skinning…so I will need to learn to do this level of body work. I also plan to do a CV swap and fabricate a multi-link rear suspension and full length frame boxing. So it would seem that cutting the frame and even cutting and welding the bed shouldn’t be too much of a stretch…no more than cutting out cab corners, lower door skins, cab mounts, bed floors, etc to address rot.

A possible bonus is that I could do a custom length bed if desired…or close the gap between the cab and bed.

I should also add that I plan to covert to a coyote motor, Tremec trans and disc brakes, so driveshaft, exhaust, brakes lines will all be custom as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by michael9218 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranchero50

Re: Rough SWB or clean LWB for project?

Post by Ranchero50 »

Fixing rust sucks and when you have some fixable rust, you also have rust buried where you can't fix it. The lifespan of a truck is finite so start out with the best you can afford.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
poke em

Post by poke em »

I had a hard time finding a SWB truck that wasn't rusted to pieces. So I decided to find the truck with the least amount of body work needed, whether long or short bed. I ended up with a camper special and cut both the frame and bed. If you want to learn some sheet metal work the bed is a good project.
michael9218

Post by michael9218 »

Found a truck that appears to be rot free and a shortbed to boot...from the pictures.

Take a look at the drivers side door/rear cab corner. This looks suspect to me. The truck is 3 hours one way, so I'm wanting to be sure I'm interested before driving. It looks like a little bubbling under the paint on the door and the cab corner doesn't quite line up with the door. Also looks like some sanding marks under the paint. I'm no body man, so am hoping someone on here will chime in.

Door:

Underside of cab corner:

flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Someone on here may know of a decent truck for sale........ if we knew where you were. :?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html