1972 Ford F250 (turned Project)

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

vanleer4

1972 Ford F250 (turned Project)

Post by vanleer4 »

Hello Forum,
Well my 1972 is starting to become a big headache. Everything started off well after purchasing last year then it got ugly just a few months down the road. I notice while driving smoke coming out of tail pipes(Burning Oil),then a hesitation with throttle(Old Carb, purchased new one), and then lastly the metal clanking noise after starting (flywheel I suspect).

I finally said enough is enough with small repairs, and decided to pull motor and transmission and get this baby done right!
So as of 01/18/16 took the front end clip off and pulled the motor and tranny out, and let me tell you it was an all day project.
Pictures of Truck before, during and after. ( and yes the front clip is in the bed, and hood on top of cab, ran out of room). If you look closely you will see the original 70's green by fire wall.

So my question to the Forum, Since I have this baby apart right now what are some good ideas on what I should swap out or replace? Thinking of motor mounts, transmission mounts, body mounts(don't know where to purchase) and a new alternator and starter. Also seen some interesting ideas of swapping out Crown Victoria front end suspension with the old? has anyone done this, and is it worth it?

This is my first classic Ford that I have taken upon so not to familiar with this girl yet. Thanks for any ideas and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
thanks
Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Van Leer4
Ford F-250 Camper Special
1968 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
1967 Chevrolet C20
Craigerf100
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 1972 Ford F250 (turned Project)

Post by Craigerf100 »

I'm not sure what u have on it now, but adding a Brake booster is #1. Even if u have one, if the brakes don't stop on a dime, it's time to start thinking about a new one. Not a remand one but a new one. They cost $50 on ebay. And of course you'll need a new MC (master cylinder) especially if your truck doesnts have booster right now.

The second thing is adding a sway bar, for $175 you can get an addco and gain some control of your truck. I added one and it made a world of a difference. Other then that as u mentioned changing little things like engine mounts will go a long way.
1964 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
1968 F-100 Short Bed
1967 Fairlane 500 Convertable
1967 Fairlane GT/A 289ci SOLD
1950 F-1 Original 239ci Flat Head V8 SOLD
1995 f-150 4x4 Swb 4.9L 5-speed FORSALE

My Build: :fr: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
vanleer4

Post by vanleer4 »

Thanks for info, didn't even think about the brakes. Gonna need good ones especially with the FE being rebuilt.
Ill keep posted all that changed and upgraded.
Van Leer4
1967 Chevrolet C20
vanleer4

Post by vanleer4 »

Just wanted to update as of May 12.
My god has this turned into a total nightmare of repair and part swapping! we are about 11k in parts, truck, and rebuild. Not sure on Man hrs. I lost count but she is almost complete!
here's some photos to show progress.
Before and After
Painted engine bay frame gloss paint and engine and tranny rebuilt 390/ C-6 Transmission ($6500 Basko Engine Service AZ)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vanleer4 on Thu May 12, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Van Leer4
1967 Chevrolet C20
vanleer4

Post by vanleer4 »

here are some more pictures and details.
The only problem is totally assembled but can not get here to stay on and started up correctly goanna post question in Engine forum because I am completely out of ideas of what to do next!
Body mounts replace through out truck, brake lines, shocks, alternator, starter, u name it prolly been replaced!
just need to get her started now!
Van Leer4
1967 Chevrolet C20
vanleer4

Post by vanleer4 »

Here's engine and tranny when we finally got them back, Sure is pretty! (Yeh and only cost $6500) totally blows my mind on how much engine and tranny cost now a days!
Van Leer4
1967 Chevrolet C20
66f250cs

Post by 66f250cs »

JMHO, but I would replace/rebuild anything that is difficult to do later. For example, the alternator and starter can be done later because they are easy to get to and if yours is OK currently. But why set a new motor on old mounts and a rusty oily frame? And you need the woa to stop the go. So do the brake booster and maybe the lines that leave the engine compartment. The lines are tough to access and bend properly if you decide to do later with the engine in place. I know I just redid mine and it would have been easy if I could have had easier access. The lines are cheap too. Terminate at the proportioning valve and do the rest later if necessary.
66 F250 camper special
69 F250 Explorer
85 Mustang GT with 1900 original miles
92 Festiva with 538,000 original miles
86 E350 extended WB van
Various IH & JD tractors (5)
TT & XT500 mc's (6)
BSA, Triumph's and twenty Yamaha two strokes