'72 F250 Highboy in N Seattle

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

carnuck

'72 F250 Highboy in N Seattle

Post by carnuck »

well, maybe not just the very next day.

:woohoo:

I picked up a bump side '72 F250 highboy yesterday, but it lacks a few needed amenities. I only need to use it to move my 28' motorhome @200 feet across a lawn on a slight uphill grade right now so I won't have to drive it much till I sell my Jeep Comanche pickup.

I bought it partially for the cool factor and partially because it reminded me of my '69 F250 Camper Special that I got from my ex's father after we split (she pretty much got everything else but the shirt on my back and her family kept me in the deal)

It's a 360/4 speed (I think T18 but the oil change guy started it in gear and caused a panic in the shop) with divorced tcase that I know isn't a NP203 and I think is NP205 (I'll see the pto plate shortly). No power steering (which was fine before I broke my shoulder and I'm getting older so I'll have to fix that or sell the truck), no power brakes with 4 wheel drums (I have a Jeep J4000 power brake booster and master that I think was sourced from Ford. If not, it'll be next as I plan a disc brake front axle swap), D44 low pinion front with manual hubs and D60 full float rear, that I guesstimate are 4.56 gears since 3000 RPM with 31" tires and 4th gear was only 55 mph.

Manual trans will probably be the first swapped out, but I'll winch the motorhome to safety before that. The steering I can deal with as long as I don't have to shift, turn and brake at the same time like I did on I-5 when a vehicle crossed the median on the way home from Bellingham to Lynnwood, WA.

It's propane powered, which will go to my big Jeep pickup or the motorhome and a carb, under bed fuel tank put in along with a 9 1/2' long flatbed off a different Ford I parted years ago and still I have. At least before I resell this truck. I need a moving rig that can haul and has good traction right now.

I'm kicking myself because I accidentally traded the wrong tcase in for parts (The NP208F I had) which would have been killer with a C6, but a 1 ton FE C6 with bolt on yoke should bolt in with the current tcase. Which reminds me. Has anyone done it?
f250.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carnuck

Re: '72 F250 Highboy in N Seattle

Post by carnuck »

Power brakes are on the list of to-dos and pretty much a bolt on deal.

I need a dipstick for the motor oil. a post on FTE says D5TE-6750-CA is the one I need but that's not on the current one (which is almost rusted in two at the top)

Power steering appears to be tougher to do since it's 4x4 and passes through the frame. I'm glad the current manual box isn't sloppy, but my previously broken shoulder is complaining. Skinnier tires will help make is easier to steer so some LT235/85R/16s are on the list to replace the 31/10.50R/16s.

I discovered yesterday the bed is shot (I have a flatbed for it) and wish I had time to find/make a winch bumper for the front (just bought a HF Badlands 18,000lb winch) I have to move my new to me motorhome before I can concentrate on anything else.

I may swap my front axle later on. I have a D44 low pinion from an ex-gov crew cab '76ish Highboy (F250 4x4 with duals) They kept the disc brakes but I swapped some Jeep J20 ones on, knuckles and all with high steer on the passenger's side into the Jeep pickup. Having a power steering box like a 2wd one ahead of the axle would make it much easier to steer.
Sad part is I bought a 76-70 F150 or 78/79 Bronco power steering box for a '68 IH Travelall project that went away, but it won't work on this.
carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I have my eyes open for an IH PS box that will fit, probably from a Loadstar 1 1/2 ton then the manual box will go for sale (or the truck might be for sale by that point in time without the propane system)

Edit:
So much for that idea. The IH box turns the wrong way dang it!

Is there different ratios for PS vs manual highboy steering box?

I wonder what oil this box should have in it?

If I could find an arm long enough and flat enough to fit a Mopar Van box, I could make an adapter but I'd still need a PS pump for the 360.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

The easiest power steering mod is using a 78 or 79 f250 4x4 power steering box and pitman arm. Just a plate and four holes to drill.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Is there a different box than this one?

Because the one I picked up from the local junkyard doesn't look like it will work.

Unless I add a lift of some kind because the Highboy is leaf sprung front.

It doesn't appear to have enough room to fit in there unless I put a spacer between the front spring mount and frame.
carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Oh! I just figured out it bolts on the INSIDE of the front frame, unlike the one I have!

I wonder if someone near Seattle has a highboy frame where I can test fit a box into?